Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2020, 10:57 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #13703
Protection from Freezing

I have a 2018 Thor Miramar 35.3 are the black, grey and fresh water tanks heated to prevent freezing and are all the water pipes on the exterior heated and protected from freezing l.

Thanks

John

Old 11-03-2020, 11:30 AM   #2

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
If your holding tanks are heated, there should be a switch on your control panel for them. As for the water lines, I think most are not heated, but your model may be different. If nothing else you can contact Thor.
Old 11-03-2020, 07:58 PM   #3

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by druganjk@gmail.com View Post
I have a 2018 Thor Miramar 35.3 are the black, grey and fresh water tanks heated to prevent freezing and are all the water pipes on the exterior heated and protected from freezing l.

Thanks

John
You would have to check your Maroney to see if it is listed as standard or optioned. I would doubt it, as heated tanks are an option on my rig. What water pipes do you have on the outside? Mine are all inside. 99.9% of all rigs made more then likely don’t have it as people for the most part don’t camp where it is cold in the winter. Unless you live in Canada.
Old 11-11-2020, 08:25 PM   #4

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Alaska
THOR #6077
Winter Camping

Don't assume anything! Investigate.

My 2017 Thor ACE has heated pads for the tanks and they do work. I have lots of water pipes that get mighty close to the outside.

We do lots of winter camping in the south where it doesn't get below 20 very often, but that will sure freeze water.

Get some pipe insulation and put it around EVERY pipe you can see. I taped some so they are "permanent" but for some places that isn't practical so I have short sections that can be pulled off to access valves.

Get and inside/outside thermometer. I got one that has three sensors and two of them go in my outside compartments where pipes are so I can monitor the temperature.

I got two small 110v thermostatically controlled heaters and I put them in my main plumbing bay and my outside kitchen. There is an outlet in the kitchen but I had to create one for my plumbing bay.

Since putting in these, I've not had a problem and sleep very well, even into the teens with a foot of snow! Yes, it can snow a foot in the mountains of North Georgia!

I have a problem with blowing breakers, so I also installed an inside 110v plug that has a cord that I can plug into the campground post and completely bypass my electrical system. That's what runs my electric heater.