Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-10-2021, 02:06 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2019 Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #17456
Trade-in Values-Vegas 24.1 NADA

Does anyone have any experiences comparing NADA values with real world trade-in deals?

NADA shows my 2019 Vegas 24.1 (11,000 miles, no problems) with an average retail of $78,177 and a low retail of $64,890. How would a true trade-in value relate (no discounts on new unit included).

Secondly, does anyone have any experience with a Forest River FR3?

Just thinking at this stage! Looking for advice from recent traders.

Old 03-10-2021, 02:14 PM   #2

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Regarding FR3...
This thread is a new Miramar owner that traded in his FR3
Suggest you PM him.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f3...ner-25404.html
Old 03-10-2021, 03:01 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Given that I just bought a new Axis 24.1 for a little more than the NADA average retail of a 2019 I think they are inflated, probably by 10%. Also trade in values are always less than retail. My guess is that you could get about $60,000 in trade in value for yours.

David
Old 03-10-2021, 04:06 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Dealers use the Black Book and not the NADA guides to which the public has access. Black book is only available to dealers, lenders and maybe insurance adjusters.
Old 03-10-2021, 05:34 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
You might want to take a look in RVTrader.com; and see where the asking prices are...
Good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 05:35 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Most legitimate auto dealers use auction values to determine the actual cash value, ACV. NADA and Kelly Bluebook is never anywhere near the ACV of any vehicle.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 07:48 PM   #7

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
Quote:
Originally Posted by twovillagers View Post
Does anyone have any experiences comparing NADA values with real world trade-in deals?

NADA shows my 2019 Vegas 24.1 (11,000 miles, no problems) with an average retail of $78,177 and a low retail of $64,890. How would a true trade-in value relate (no discounts on new unit included).

Secondly, does anyone have any experience with a Forest River FR3?

Just thinking at this stage! Looking for advice from recent traders.
Keep in mind that the dealer wants to give you as little as possible. Personally I figure out what I would sell it for and drop it 5k for the easy of trading it in.

In your case, I would list it at 72-74k so I would ask 69 for my trade but settle if it was a good deal at 67. Just my personal take.
Old 03-11-2021, 02:42 AM   #8

Model: 2021 Emblem 36U
State: Virginia
THOR #21648
I wanted to trade my 2019 Freedom Traveler A30 with 4500 miles and was shocked what dealers offered me

lowest offer was $53k - highest $63k . Put it on Rvtrader.com and had 3 offers within a week. Asking $74,900

Still waiting for one of the buyers to send deposit. Even if he doesn't, I am pretty confident I can sell her for 20k+ more than the lowest dealer offer. I understand that a dealer needs to make some money but 53k or even 63k is just a joke. They will sell it for 80k+

If you have the time and patience to sell it yourself instead of trading it - go for it. The market is hot and you will sell her for sure
Old 03-11-2021, 03:05 AM   #9

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Dealers do have overhead costs. That is why they buy low and sell high. They have to pay rent, taxes, commissions, etc. They are in business to make money.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 03:08 AM   #10

THOR #21648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Dealers do have overhead costs. That is why they buy low and sell high. They have to pay rent, taxes, commissions, etc. They are in business to make money.
of course they have costs but not $30k on each used rig. At least not on mine
Old 03-11-2021, 03:39 AM   #11

THOR #13362
But the beauty of the dealership for most “average Joe’s” is that he can walk on a lot and walk out with a vehicle a few hours later
It’s one stop shopping, financing, warranty, licensing
Vs
Selling yourself...
- you gotta pay off a loan balance
- the buyer needs financing
- the buyer’s gotta go to the DMV and pay his tax and registration
- the buyer needs to be more knowledgeable abt buying/selling which limits the seller’s mkt
- people coming to your house or you waste your time driving to a pkng lot to meet a “Lookie-Lou” tire kicker

That’s why dealerships are in business
Old 03-11-2021, 01:13 PM   #12

Model: 2019 Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #17456
Thanks!

Thanks for all of the helpful replies! I agree with the general opinions that even the NADA value does not reflect the actual trade-in value. Dealers always have a "double secret" book they pull out. I bought the Vegas in October, 2019 at a "pre-COVID" price of $74,300.

I'm generally happy with the Vegas and, with a lot of work, now have the handling, noise levels, seating, and mattress comfort, etc. at a good level. My only reasons for even thinking about a trade would be a larger shower and a lower, true king sized bed. I'm just not sure I want to go through all of the work and potential trips back to the dealer with a new unit. A friend just bought a new Tiffin Allegro Phaeton and had at least a dozen repair items and a six week visit to the shop. Another minus is the added length of the coach to get the other attributes I would like.

I will take a couple more trips and give it some sincere thought. Thanks again.
Old 03-11-2021, 01:34 PM   #13

THOR #21648
I am in the same boat. Larger shower and king size bed are driving me to another unit. I listed mine on RV Trader and do currently have 2 offers on it within a week. Bought it in December for $73k and will ( hopefully ) sell it for $75.

My "want-to-have" floorplan ( Challenger 37YT ) is almost impossible to get, looking at an Entegra Vision XL now. I don't mind the added length as it will give us more space as well
Old 03-11-2021, 02:15 PM   #14

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Never Trade your RV on to a Dealer

You will always get far far more for your current RV by selling it yourself than you would trading it in to the dealer. Dealers expect to make $10,000-$50,000 by reselling your trade in. Don’t let them make a sucker out of you. Sell it yourself and keep the profit for yourself. Don’t feel obligated to buy your next RV from your local dealer. Search nationwide. Many dealers will reimburse you for your airfare and even pick you up at the airport. If not, it’s still worth spending $300.00-$500.00 on a plane ticket to save $10,000 or more. I have seen the same coach in the same condition sell at drastically different prices. Sometimes $50,000 or more apart, on the same coach! You need skills to buy or sell a high value item like an RV. Skills keep you from giving away the farm or buying a spent gold mine. If you don’t have them get somebody who does to sell your rig and negotiate for its replacement. Reach out to that uncle who runs a car lot, the cousin who sells real estate or the niece who is a drug rep. They all have skills.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 02:19 PM   #15

THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by witthuus View Post
I am in the same boat. Larger shower and king size bed are driving me to another unit. I listed mine on RV Trader and do currently have 2 offers on it within a week. Bought it in December for $73k and will ( hopefully ) sell it for $75.

My "want-to-have" floorplan ( Challenger 37YT ) is almost impossible to get, looking at an Entegra Vision XL now. I don't mind the added length as it will give us more space as well
Nice!
I love it when a plan comes together.
Old 03-17-2021, 06:21 PM   #16

Model: Thor Magnitude XG32 4x4,
State: Utah
THOR #19682
I had an offer on a 5th wheel of $28K when I was looking to by my XG-32. I put in online and sold it in about a week for $43K. Dealers can't get inventory but they still offer below book and won't pay for inventory and then bitch that they have to charge a lot because of low inventory.

I just saw your model, a 2019 go locally her in the 80K range. That is a very desirable unit. Lots of inside room for the size and a great looking unit. So list if for full tilt blue book and you will sell it in a week.

Watch out for the cashiers checks, I'll send my agent, and other scammers. They respond to your ads within the first few hours of the posting. Good Luck. If you have a General RV they are the best for matching prices and such.
Old 03-18-2021, 12:01 PM   #17

Model: Fourwinds 24F
THOR #9511
I’m on the process of deciding on private sale or trade-in. The dealer I’m working with told me how to figure a ballpark trade-in value using NADA. The dealer works the trade-in based on a wholesale number that is the NADA low retail minus 10%. They don’t care about options in figuring the trade-in value. Just enter the year and mileage into NADA and don’t fiddle with the options. They only care about the options on the resale. In my case it is a $16k swing between average retail and wholesale. I will probably start with a private sale and go the trade-in route if that fails since I’m in no hurry.
Old 03-18-2021, 04:52 PM   #18

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo12 View Post
I’m on the process of deciding on private sale or trade-in. The dealer I’m working with told me how to figure a ballpark trade-in value using NADA. The dealer works the trade-in based on a wholesale number that is the NADA low retail minus 10%. They don’t care about options in figuring the trade-in value. Just enter the year and mileage into NADA and don’t fiddle with the options. They only care about the options on the resale. In my case it is a $16k swing between average retail and wholesale. I will probably start with a private sale and go the trade-in route if that fails since I’m in no hurry.
As I have said before. Buying and selling an expensive adult toy (RV) requires skill. Not everyone has it. Tell you what. Drop off your RV at my house. I'll sell it for you at mid NADA retail value and you give me $2,000. :-) All day long!
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 05:23 PM   #19

THOR #13362
I’ll do it for $1850
Old 03-18-2021, 05:26 PM   #20

Model: Fourwinds 24F
THOR #9511
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
As I have said before. Buying and selling an expensive adult toy (RV) requires skill. Not everyone has it. Tell you what. Drop off your RV at my house. I'll sell it for you at mid NADA retail value and you give me $2,000. :-) All day long!

Interesting offer. I was thinking more along the lines of $2K below average retail and skipping the middle man.