Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2020, 03:59 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Outlaw 38RE
State: West Virginia
THOR #17154
Using house septic tank?

It’s just Ms. WT and me. Our house is 3br 2ba. So I’m ASSuming that the septic is perked, designed and capable of supporting the sewer needs of more then just Ms. WT and me.

We had it pumped about a year ago so there’s not a lot of solids in it.

We’d like to use the inspection port (4” PVC) to dump tanks when we return from a trip.

I’ve seen posts about this but don’t recall where or the responses...

Has anyone done this successfully and without problems? If you’ve had issues with doing this, what we’re they? (Perhaps I can mitigate the issues)

Thank you!

Good Sam member
FMCA member
WearyTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 04:25 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
If your septic system is designed for a 3 bedroom house you shouldn't have a problem. My AOSS is designed for a 4 bedroom house and I dump into the system periodically. Usually, I dump my black tank don the morning we begin the trip back home, but I do dump into the AOSS (glorified septic system) when needed.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 04:29 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
It theoretically should be OK---but the thing that worries me about dumping a full load down there is the fact it's a lot of stuff coming down in one big whoosh. I would be afraid of it overwhelming everything and a lot of solids ending up out in the drain field.
Old 05-04-2020, 04:53 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
For occasional use: you should be just fine.
Try thinking about it lie this:
When you're in your RV and traveling: the system isn't getting used at all...
You're just bringing home the "product", that would have otherwise been in it anyway.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:20 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I have a separate septic system at home for my coach, but prior to that I did as you are thinking. I would back the coach along side the house and dump into the cleanout/inspection port. I did that for ten or more years before I built the RV it's own parking spot with full hookups. I always figured the septic system was built for a two bath plus kitchen home and the introduction of 30 or 40 gallons of tank contents wasn't much different than two showers, a washing machine and a dishwasher all running at the same time.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:45 PM   #6

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
there is no 'exact' amount of usage a septic tank can handle, since there's simply way too many variables - weather, temperature, usage, number of family members, how much water per flush, how much the washer and dish washer are used, etc., etc.,,,, but the 'size' is based on amounts 'typical' for a family sized for the number of 'rooms' the original structure was based upon.

I don't look at whether a septic tank can 'handle' our RV, the few times we use it, since, as someone else correctly said, you weren't there to 'use it' while you were away!

And, to add another thought - your tanks aren't so large that any septic tank couldn't for some reason 'handle' the amount of dump you might do... the septic is not an 'enclosed' tank that can only handle, say 200 gallons, but it's a 'place' for things to sit for a while before they are naturally separated and flow on... that's what leach fields are for.

Of course, if you're really 'that' worried about a 'sudden' flush, you can always do it a 'little bit' at the time : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:17 PM   #7

Model: Windsport 27K
State: North Carolina
THOR #11007
I've thought about this as well. The variable I consider as much as tank capacity, is the weight of the rig driving over the drain/leach field. Since I'm not first owner of the home; I have no idea how deep those lines may be in our sandy soil.

Overfilling the tank might be less of an issue than crushing some of the lines. Thoughts on that angle, folks?
Old 05-04-2020, 08:23 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by PictureTheSouth View Post
I've thought about this as well. The variable I consider as much as tank capacity, is the weight of the rig driving over the drain/leach field. Since I'm not first owner of the home; I have no idea how deep those lines may be in our sandy soil.

Overfilling the tank might be less of an issue than crushing some of the lines. Thoughts on that angle, folks?
You should never drive anything heavier than a lawn tractor over a septic tank or drain field. You may get away with it 99 times but that 100th failure will be costly.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:26 PM   #9

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
Chemicals used in RV's are not too good for septic systems. If you are one of those that needs chemicals in your RV, might not be a good idea.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:28 PM   #10

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suites 36RSB3
THOR #17449
Dumped into the septic many times not a problem in over 20 years at that house
Old 05-04-2020, 09:54 PM   #11
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by PictureTheSouth View Post

Go to your counties department of environmental quality or health department and get a copy of the engineering plans for your septic system.

The drain field for my system is rated at 10,000 PSI. In my mind each tire on my coach has approximately 30 sq inches in contact with the ground. 30 * 6 = 180 square inches of surface area. 29,000 GVWR / 180 = 162 PSI so I believe that is well within the 10K PSI the system is designed for.

Now I am sure someone out there is going to chime in and tell me where I am wrong. I will say that the folks that maintain my AOSS (certified and licensed civil/septic engineers) have told me that as long as I don't drive over the D box which is shallow I shouldn't have a problem if I needed to drive through the drain field. I had a couple bucket trucks back there to take down some trees but no need to take the coach back there.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 10:12 PM   #12
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 11:16 PM   #13

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
Chemicals used in RV's are not too good for septic systems. If you are one of those that needs chemicals in your RV, might not be a good idea.
This should not be an issue as 99.9% of any chemical you might dump in your rv black tank is strictly for odor control plus such a small amount which will not harm your septic.
As recommended a dose of RidX in your septic every 30 days will keep the septic working as it should. DO NOT use the RidX in your RV black tank, it won't help there.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 11:19 PM   #14

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
This should not be an issue as 99.9% of any chemical you might dump in your rv black tank is strictly for odor control plus such a small amount which should not harm your septic.
I would bet that at least 50%+ of RV parks/campgrounds are on septic systems, with dump stations getting several RVs dumping back to back in a mass exodus out of the campground so your occasional dump shouldn't be a problem.
As recommended a dose of RidX in your septic every 30 days will keep the septic working as it should. DO NOT use the RidX in your RV black tank, it won't help there.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 01:19 AM   #15
RWF

Model: Tuscany 36MQ
State: Washington
THOR #15174
Inspection ports are usually in the drain field, never dump there! You need to dump in a cleanut that is in line before the septic tank. That will not be a problem with the usage you described.
Again, never dump into an inspection port in a drain field!
Must I say it again?.......
Old 05-05-2020, 01:53 AM   #16

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Good point, don't use the vent stacks in the leach field.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 05:02 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Thank goodness that we're hooked up to the Town's sewer system...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote