Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-31-2021, 03:02 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Several years ago I got a quote for a Generac whole house system
I thought I could get by with 16kw
But the salesman insisted I needed 22kw system
Then, added to that, he insisted that I need a dedicated 500gal (400 gal actual at 80%) propane tank.
His quote with all the extras was over $20,000

At 50% run speed, the 400 gal of propane would last just 6 days.
So with the delivered price of propane currently at $3.25/gal, to run my $20,000 system it would cost me $220/day in propane.

I’ve opted for a 10kw Firman portable dual fuel.
It was $850 delivered when I purchased.
For me it runs best on Gas (8 gal for 12hrs), but I have the propane option as needed.

I added a 50amp plug outside of the panel and a 50amp breaker within the panel (instead of an auto transfer switch).

When I lose power I just shut off the main breaker and open the generator breaker.
When power returns at my neighbors house, I shut down the generator breaker and turn on the main breaker.
WOW!! A Generac 24kW whole house in my area is around $11k - $14k with every bell and whistle, including installation! We have natural gas in Ohio, so unlimited CHEAP fuel supply.

Many neighbors have them... The closest neighbor runs his "auto start maintenance routine" every Wednesday morning at 8:00 a.m.

Old 12-31-2021, 08:26 PM   #42

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
We went cheap route here. No natural gas piped here and not fond of using propane.

Use plug at panel for 3500/4000 watt RV gens, running just freezers/fridge and well pump get 14 to 18 on 3.5 gallons gas. They are interchangable on race trailer and get cycled frequently. When no A/C required in RV can also use Onan in Vegas to power fridge/freezers along with window unit so we have multiple options. Freezing weather not an issue here so 2 rv ready portable gas gives us comfort in event of grid issue along with Onan in RV.