Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2020, 01:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Freedom Elite 24HE
State: Vermont
THOR #15420
Waterproof?

hello too all ...I have a 2019 24 HE. Just took it thru my first rain day ride and the side compartments were full of water. I thought they were water proof ..Needless to say a lot of things got wet ...Anybody else with this problem ?

Old 06-11-2020, 01:44 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Take it back to Camping World and tell them to fix the problem. Storage compartments should not leak on a new coach. If you have had the coach for awhile you may run into the "seals excluded from warranty" issue.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 01:48 PM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
many of us with various models of motorhomes have had these issues - we've seen it many times in our own Palazzo, even though the bay doors have seals and seem to shut with a good seal.
I've found that while the doors 'seem' sealed, they aren't really. The seals seem fine, but while the coach is traveling, the 'movement' will allow gaps to appear. Water running down the side of the coach can then leak into the tops of the doors. When you open the door later, you may see even a 'waterfall' effect for all the water still sitting on the tops of the doors.
Also, the interior of the bays of these coaches aren't as 'sealed' as you might think. The factory may 'try' to do their best, but since frames are running thru them, and holes are drilled to provide electrical and water line entries, there are really many places where water can intrude, ESPECIALLY when the RV wheels are throwing water behind them as you are traveling. That's a LOT of water to splatter in many places along the underside of the coach, and will certainly find it's way in easily if you are seeing a lot of rain and water on the roadways.

Early on, I drilled several 'weep' holes in my bays for this very reason. Do they help? Not sure, but it made me feel better. : )
I also refoamed many areas of the bays, especially where the frame rails come thru the bays, cable/water/electrical line entry points, and sealed all along the corners and edges and especially the outside edge below the doors.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 03:56 PM   #4

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
mine has those quarter turn key camlocks, and the ones thor uses...or at least used in 2013.... are not water tight.

I found some water in one of mine early on when we bought it. My daughter got inside with a flashlight while I hosed down the area....she confirmed the water was coming in through the lock and not through the door's seal.
Old 06-11-2020, 04:11 PM   #5

Model: 2020 Windsport 35M
State: Georgia
THOR #18656
I know on ours a 2020 Windsport I found all of the small black plugs that go in the bottom were out and laying in the corner. I guess they are for draining them after washing them out.

John
BulletproofPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 05:27 AM   #6

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
mine has those quarter turn key camlocks, and the ones thor uses...or at least used in 2013.... are not water tight.

I found some water in one of mine early on when we bought it. My daughter got inside with a flashlight while I hosed down the area....she confirmed the water was coming in through the lock and not through the door's seal.
They aren’t any better from 2017. Our our problem wasn’t leaking through the lock it was the cheap washers that dry out. Replaced the washers and sealed around them really and no problems since.