Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-27-2018, 09:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
Winterizing?

Temps are suppose to get down to upper 20’s tonight! I’ve not winterized my MH and hope not to! I’ll be leaving in a couple of weeks to go to Florida. Temps here are usually above freezing at night and in the upper 50’s during the day!
For occasional temps below freezing at night do you think I can get by without winterizing?

Old 11-27-2018, 10:16 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Yes and no. High 20's is not bad ..... esp. if its just for like a couple of hours. Is your RV in a storage building? If not - can you leave a small electric heater going all night? Do you have AC power here the RV is at?

I would try and have a small heat source in the rv. Maybe Put some RV antifreeze down your tanks?

Or can you warm up the RV tonight (with the propane heater) up to like 80 deg. at like 10pm then next morning warm it back up?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:57 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I agree: put some heat to it, and you should be okay...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:13 AM   #4

Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
The MH is in a storage unit that is enclosed on 3 sides. It’s plugged into shore power for the furnace, plus I keep a small heater running inside.
I think it should be OK but I was second guessing myself!
Old 11-28-2018, 12:18 PM   #5

Model: ACE 30.4
State: Michigan
THOR #13168
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforl View Post
The MH is in a storage unit that is enclosed on 3 sides. It’s plugged into shore power for the furnace, plus I keep a small heater running inside.
I think it should be OK but I was second guessing myself!
You should be ok but to be on the safe side I would suggest blowing out your water lines, draining your hot water heater, and fresh water tank. Put a cup or two of rv antifreeze down your sinks and a little in your toilet. Don’t forget your outside shower and outside sink if you have one.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:43 PM   #6

State: North Carolina
THOR #9217
I agree with the comments above. To me, the most critical part is opening the low point drains and fresh water drains especially if you are planning to use the unit during the winter. I live in eastern NC and we do get a three or four day hard freeze occasionally. I learned the hard way by showing up at a local camp ground in early Spring, turning on my city water and flooding the bathroom due to a frozen and cracked part on the toilet. So now, I also disconnect the water supply to the toilet and drain that part.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:30 PM   #7

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Regarding your initial question...you should be fine...same situation here. A night or two in the upper 20's, reaching 40's or 50's during the days will be OK. Any more than two nights at this temp would require a small heater for safety measures. Open up cabinets under sinks and put a small fan inside coach to circulate heat evenly. If under cover (like mine) the above freezing days will not warm it up as quickly as if it was sitting outside in the sun. At worse, the water may become mildly "slushy" but will not freeze hard enough to expand and crack pipes. Run your pump each day, mid day to push exposed water through the lines. It will be a tad colder than what's in your tank. I only winterize if the temps are going to be below 25 for 3 days straight or more. Never had any issues with last 3 campers over 22 years.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:55 PM   #8

Model: Quantum 26 ft.
State: Florida
THOR #7835
Winterizing question

We are leaving for Williamsburg Virginia next week. We will need all the fresh water pipes usable for drinking, showers etc. if we hit a freeze below freezing for more than 8 hours should I put anti freeze in the grey water and black water tanks ahead of time? fresh water tank will be full and all pipes are inside cabin. Fresh water tank should not freeze if full.
Quantum RS26, class C.
Thanks
Old 12-05-2018, 01:04 AM   #9

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket List Inn View Post
You should be ok but to be on the safe side I would suggest blowing out your water lines, draining your hot water heater, and fresh water tank. Put a cup or two of rv antifreeze down your sinks and a little in your toilet. Don’t forget your outside shower and outside sink if you have one.
We had some 20° weather in NC before leaving for Florida the first of December. I set the propane furnace to 55° and did a partial winterize at the outdoor shower and the sink at the outdoor kitchen. Open all kitchen cabinet doors and I even took the cushions and wood tops on the dinette seats so the fresh water tank and the water pump would stay toasty...