Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-02-2022, 12:58 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #27021
2019 Fourwinds 31W

Just bought this rig yesterday, trying to figure a few things out, the old owner knew nothing about the rig, he was a older gentleman… kind of a weird deal.

We noticed there are Velcro tabs behind the drivers seat area for some sort of divider to block sunlight and save AC from escaping, I’m sure they sell something but have now idea what is called.

Next is driving it home yesterday 300 miles I was getting a lot of noise and heat from the ground where the cab meets the coach? I put a rolled up towel there along the seam and it seemed to help. Is this normal?

I appreciate any input.

Old 06-02-2022, 02:51 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
A curtain likely came with the motorhome which has Velcro tabs matching those little round Velcro tabs.

Floor heat (and noise) is a common issue with the cutaway chassis and the Ford V10 engine. Search the forums and you'll find how people have solved this.

I installed insulated sound barrier foam under the rubber floor mat, up under the dash, covering the inside front wheel wells, and most importantly - the inside of the engine cover "doghouse". I also installed some heat deflector material between the exhaust pipe and floorboard.

People claim different results, but for me the heat and noise reduction was quite significant.
Old 06-02-2022, 06:39 PM   #3

Model: 31y
State: South Carolina
THOR #21394
Jeff,
There is a curtain that came with ours that hangs from the velcro you described and runs along the top of the windshield (there should be a few more velcro attachments hiding in the cab). With the additional velcro, and putting the sun shades down, the curtain holds into place nicely and works great for a quick privacy screen when at a Cracker Barrel, etc.
If you want, I can measure ours and send pictures.
We use it only when we are staying one night, otherwise the outside windshield cover does much better.

I haven't had problems with the doghouse noise or heat. I bought ours used (1,000 miles on it). Maybe the first owner modified it? I did mess up the insulation that runs right below the step from the cockpit to the camper proper. I ran a high powered blower in the camper once cleaning it. By doing this I blew out the weather strip in said area. The next trip was hot and windy! It was an easy fix with some stripping pushed in there.

I have a 2020 31y, about the same animal as yours.
Yours has a full slide, mine a 3/4 slide.
Yours therefore has a much, much nicer bedroom. Mine has less bedroom, but about 100 cubic feet of storage underneath (yours has about 50 cubic feet). Everything is a compromise.
Everything else is about the same.
If you ever have a question I might be able to help.
Take care,
Matt
Old 06-03-2022, 01:10 PM   #4

State: California
THOR #27021
Thank you for the responses.

I ordered the outside wrap around windshield cover, going to find some time and look into sealing up and using Dynomat around the drivers area.
Old 06-03-2022, 02:22 PM   #5

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I covered every square inch of the cabin floor and the doghouse with Kilmat... then covered that with Noico foam. Overkill? Certainly. But the noise and heat issues are history. Now if there was a way to kill the wind noise...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210517_201249654.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	37838   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210518_193827014.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	37839  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210518_230254093.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	37840  
Old 06-04-2022, 01:25 AM   #6

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
I covered every square inch of the cabin floor and the doghouse with Kilmat... then covered that with Noico foam. Overkill? Certainly. But the noise and heat issues are history. Now if there was a way to kill the wind noise...
X2 on this, same thing I did on our coach and it made a huge difference. Well worth the time and money.
Old 10-12-2022, 03:32 PM   #7

State: British Columbia
THOR #24142
Privacy Divider

Our 29BG Citation Chateau came with the privacy curtain but no velcro tabs anywhere. I went to the local Home Depot and bought a roll of velcro and cut 4" strips. The curtain had a velcro strip sewn in already so we just placed the other cut velcro strips around the front of the cab (above the sunvisor's) and along the top of the door windows and along the back side of the cockpit up behind the seat's. Works well for a one night but we also bought the outside windshield cover from Amazon and use it for our longer stays which provides heat protection from the sun and also provides the privacy.
Old 10-13-2022, 06:19 PM   #8

Model: 2022 Four Winds 31W
State: Texas
THOR #27889
Jeff, here's a link to my solution: https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...cab-32145.html
Old 10-13-2022, 08:15 PM   #9

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Nevada
THOR #27334
our four winds has the curtain but was missing velcro dots on the house side wall.. Either way, we don't use it any longer.. Purchased this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HBG6974/

You'll likely be in for more surprises as time goes on, fix the problems you find better than factory and soon enough you'll have a solid coach.
widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote