Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2021, 04:13 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Alaska
THOR #7304
'21 Four Winds 28A Sway Bar

Picking up a 21 Four Winds 28A and realize the need for a sway bar. Was told there aren't any available for the "new" Chevy chassis set-up. Can anyone confirm this?Click image for larger version

Name:	20210122_210652.jpeg
Views:	87
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	28272

Old 01-27-2021, 04:57 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Don't know how close you are to Havelock

Ask for TOM RV Service (been fixing THor's for 30 years)

If it wasn't for him and his crew, I be in loony bin! ha

Riverside Subaru RV Service Dept.

1603 US, US-70, New Bern, NC 28560

Phone: (252) 633-4411
Old 01-27-2021, 05:13 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by St Nick View Post
Picking up a 21 Four Winds 28A and realize the need for a sway bar. Was told there aren't any available for the "new" Chevy chassis set-up. Can anyone confirm this?Attachment 28272
Funny, etrailer.com has a bunch listed for the Chevy Express cutaway.

Here is one link

https://www.etrailer.com/swaybars-20...senger+Cutaway

You need to run from whoever told you they are not available.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 06:39 PM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Why are you so sure that you need one? Lots and lots of people drive them stock without complaint. Not personally experienced in a big Chevy class C but I’d suggest that you drive it for a spell before you start changing things. At the very least it’ll let you better appreciate the improvement. In any case ENJOY!
Old 01-27-2021, 10:19 PM   #5
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Why are you so sure that you need one? Lots and lots of people drive them stock without complaint. Not personally experienced in a big Chevy class C but I’d suggest that you drive it for a spell before you start changing things. At the very least it’ll let you better appreciate the improvement. In any case ENJOY!
Along with this advice I will add that before anything, you should load the coach and get the front end aligned.
FMCA - F432054
Old 01-27-2021, 10:38 PM   #6

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
And
$5,000 gets you an added 200hp.
And
The 4wd drive conversion doesn't require a lift kit.
Both are reasons I'd have rather had a GM.

I don't think you'll need an aftermarket swaybar, but if you do, there're a hundred places who'll build one for you.

A LOT of people buy a LOT of unneeded suspension stuff for rv's.
Put at least 5,000 miles before deciding any changes.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 03:27 AM   #7

THOR #7304
Thanks all for the info.....yes, plan to load it and then get the alignment too!

Chatted with many others that had an 28A from previous years.....ALL highly recommended the sway bar & steering stabilizer.

My dealer talk to someone at Roadmaster and apparently the 4500 chassis is the same as previous years...so an "old one" will work.

Being that our "shakedown cruise" will be 3,900 miles from Texas to home in Alaska....I want everything to roll as easily as it can!!![emoji41][emoji106]
Old 01-29-2021, 03:33 AM   #8

THOR #7304
Thanks for the lead.....but we no longer live in NC (just updated my profile)....now AK.
Old 02-13-2021, 12:01 AM   #9

Model: Deposit: Chateau 28A
State: Ohio
THOR #22158
I find it odd that GM would build a chassis destined to be a motorhome without sway bars installed on the chassis. Just my none professional opinion. Not based on intel or experience.

Also, being new here and new to the Class C RV and researching for our move to the Class C motorhome; specifically the 28A may I ask why there is a need to get an alignment after loading the coach for camping?
Old 02-13-2021, 12:39 AM   #10
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsimes View Post
I find it odd that GM would build a chassis destined to be a motorhome without sway bars installed on the chassis. Just my none professional opinion. Not based on intel or experience.

Also, being new here and new to the Class A RV and researching for our move to the Class A motorhome; specifically the 28A may I ask why there is a need to get an alignment after loading the coach for camping?
The reason for getting the alignment after loading is the weight of cargo and people will change the geometry of how the rig sits on the road. Also, the rig is aligned with the cutaway chassis and before the weight of the house is included.

When we bought our current rig I had the dealer get the coach aligned under warranty by stating there was some pull during the test drive. Jayco will pay for an alignment if a problem is identified during the test drive. Not sure if Thor Motorcoach does the same. On my prior Challenger I got Ford to do an alignment under warranty within the first 12 months of ownership.

As a note, the 28A is a Class C and not a Class A. Thor Class A motorhomes are all on the Ford F53 chassis except the Axis/Vegas and the Diesel Pushers.
FMCA - F432054
Old 02-13-2021, 01:49 AM   #11

THOR #22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
The reason for getting the alignment after loading is the weight of cargo and people will change the geometry of how the rig sits on the road. Also, the rig is aligned with the cutaway chassis and before the weight of the house is included.

When we bought our current rig I had the dealer get the coach aligned under warranty by stating there was some pull during the test drive. Jayco will pay for an alignment if a problem is identified during the test drive. Not sure if Thor Motorcoach does the same. On my prior Challenger I got Ford to do an alignment under warranty within the first 12 months of ownership.

As a note, the 28A is a Class C and not a Class A. Thor Class A motorhomes are all on the Ford F53 chassis except the Axis/Vegas and the Diesel Pushers.
Thank you for the explanation. Also fixed the typo in the post.
Old 03-21-2021, 10:22 PM   #12

Model: Four Winds 28A
State: California
THOR #21941
28A Chevy Suspension

There is a factory sway bar on my 2021 28A that is on the Chevy Express 4500 Cutaway chassis. I talked with the folks at Hellwig, and they said their machines cannot make a bigger sway bar than the factory one. They are going to start development of helper springs.

I then chatted with SuperSprings and their SSA17 and SSA24 are built for the 2020 4500 chassis with the 24 being a softer than the 17 (my guess is for a passenger van built on that chassis).

I also talked to a local suspension guy and he said that helper springs are going to help a lot with the sway problem.

I found another shop that will install them for about $300. It's really quite simple, I just don't have the equipment or the strength to lift them things around.

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 09:47 PM   #13

THOR #22158
After two outings with our Chateau 28A Chevy chassis I have been underneath setting stabilizers for camping and have noted that the chassis does indeed have some rather beefy sway bars under it. They are stout enough that I’m not going to be changing them. I will however be installing a steering stabilizer and getting the alignment done as soon as possible.
Old 05-16-2021, 09:57 PM   #14

THOR #21941
Quote:
After two outings with our Chateau 28A Chevy chassis I have been underneath setting stabilizers for camping and have noted that the chassis does indeed have some rather beefy sway bars under it. They are stout enough that I’m not going to be changing them. I will however be installing a steering stabilizer and getting the alignment done as soon as possible.
The one in the rear from the factory is 1 3/8 inch whereas the Roadmaster is 1 1/2 inch and made of stronger steel. The front sway bar from Roadmaster is beefier, also.

Is your Chateau new? I am just about to get Chevrolet to pay for my alignment on my 2021 Four Winds to a third party. I took my 28A into a Chevy dealership and after they confirmed it was a warranty issue, they sent it over to their alignment shop which said the rig was too big for their machine.

In talking with Chevrolet the Customer Care team at length, they are most likely going to pay someone else to do the alignment since no one seems to have a big enough machine for these motorhomes.

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
Old 05-16-2021, 10:08 PM   #15

THOR #22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynetaylor55 View Post
The one in the rear from the factory is 1 3/8 inch whereas the Roadmaster is 1 1/2 inch and made of stronger steel. The front sway bar from Roadmaster is beefier, also.

Is your Chateau new? I am just about to get Chevrolet to pay for my alignment on my 2021 Four Winds to a third party. I took my 28A into a Chevy dealership and after they confirmed it was a warranty issue, they sent it over to their alignment shop which said the rig was too big for their machine.

In talking with Chevrolet the Customer Care team at length, they are most likely going to pay someone else to do the alignment since no one seems to have a big enough machine for these motorhomes.
Yes ours is brand new and we have been talking with out dealer also. They too said that it will need to be a third party and most likely a heavy duty truck shop that will need to do the alignment as most car/truck dealers do not have the equipment to do the alignment. For now the alignment and the steering stabilizer will be the only mod we will do. May revisit the sway bars at a later date though.
Old 05-16-2021, 10:21 PM   #16

THOR #21941
Quote:
Yes ours is brand new and we have been talking with out dealer also. They too said that it will need to be a third party and most likely a heavy duty truck shop that will need to do the alignment as most car/truck dealers do not have the equipment to do the alignment. For now the alignment and the steering stabilizer will be the only mod we will do. May revisit the sway bars at a later date though.
My point being, if you get a Chevy dealership to verify that there is no damage to account for an alignment issue, then you might be able to get Chevrolet to pay for the alignment, not out of your pocket. I should know early this week what happens.

Old 05-16-2021, 11:16 PM   #17

THOR #22158
Quote:
My point being, if you get a Chevy dealership to verify that there is no damage to account for an alignment issue, then you might be able to get Chevrolet to pay for the alignment, not out of your pocket. I should know early this week what happens.
Yes I understand that and we are working with them for this being a warranty issue as well.
Old 05-16-2021, 11:20 PM   #18

THOR #21941
Quote:
Yes I understand that and we are working with them for this being a warranty issue as well.
Excellent! You might be the customer that the guy I was talking to said called in!

Old 05-16-2021, 11:22 PM   #19

THOR #22158
Quote:
Excellent! You might be the customer that the guy I was talking to said called in!
Could be. Hoping to get this resolved soon but you know how these things go.
Old 05-16-2021, 11:25 PM   #20

THOR #21941
Quote:
Could be. Hoping to get this resolved soon but you know how these things go.
Ours is in the shop right now for some warranty work.

I've done a few mods already. Have you?