Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-06-2021, 07:57 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: SV34
State: Arizona
THOR #24580
Any tips for Alignment? - 2021 Magnitude SV34 (2020 Chassis)

I finally have an appointment for December 15th for an alignment? The rig has 4,700 miles. I've always felt it pulled ever so slightly to the left but no tire wear showing.

Any tips?
I plan on having a full load of fuel, 1/3 tank of water, empty black and gray tanks.

The only weight missing will be two people, fridge full of food, beverages and clothing. We're primarily in the Southwest so not ever much weight in clothes...

Ottosails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 08:03 PM   #2

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
I have no advice other than it sounds like you're doing it right by loading it up. I have been fortunate that ours drives very nice, drives straight and no tire wear in just a little over 14k miles.
Probably just jinxed myself.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:36 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds 28A
State: California
THOR #21941
I have a 28A on a Chevy chassis. What I have been reading, when an alignment is done you should have them put a +5 caster. I had this done (mine pulled a little to the right) and it helped tremendously! It came from the Chevy factory with a -2 caster.

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 12:12 AM   #4

THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynetaylor55 View Post
I have a 28A on a Chevy chassis. What I have been reading, when an alignment is done you should have them put a +5 caster. I had this done (mine pulled a little to the right) and it helped tremendously! It came from the Chevy factory with a -2 caster.
His chassis is completely different set up than what you have, F550 4x4 truck chassis vs a Chevy van chassis.
Old 12-07-2021, 06:51 PM   #5

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
I had mine aligned last month. The first attempt was postponed because of a power steering failure and leak. I requested the +5 caster and that's what I had. Mine wandered some and the toe was off, slight off center steering wheel setting all of which was set and fixed. The drive home much more stable. I'll put about 1500 miles on it in the next 2 weeks so that should be a good test.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 02:15 PM   #6

Model: Omni XG32
THOR #24995
Alignment...Something new for me to research. I still have less than 1k miles of driving experience with ours but notice it does like to wander a bit going down the rd. If there is an alignment solution for that I'm in.
Old 12-09-2021, 03:28 PM   #7

Model: Four Winds 28A
State: California
THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwplot34 View Post
His chassis is completely different set up than what you have, F550 4x4 truck chassis vs a Chevy van chassis.
Judge has the same chassis and his caster is +5. Here is the thread: https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8...ent-28709.html

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 09:25 PM   #8

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamokadave View Post
Alignment...Something new for me to research. I still have less than 1k miles of driving experience with ours but notice it does like to wander a bit going down the rd. If there is an alignment solution for that I'm in.
Before you start throwing money on steering stabilizers, liquid springs, stabilizer bars, etc. I suggest getting it weighed, preferably first empty then again loaded for travel. Going to the tire manufacturers loading pressure chart, adjust your pressures for actual weight, not what the sticker says which is likely maximum pressure for the tire. Drive it and see if that helped. If still squirrelly align it. Then and only then maybe consider parts thrown at it. One at a time and see what benefit you got.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 12-09-2021, 11:23 PM   #9

THOR #4243
Guess front end alignment is the only thing I have been lucky with on this coach that has not been a problem.
Old 12-09-2021, 11:32 PM   #10

Model: Omni XG32
THOR #24995
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Before you start throwing money on steering stabilizers, liquid springs, stabilizer bars, etc. I suggest getting it weighed, preferably first empty then again loaded for travel. Going to the tire manufacturers loading pressure chart, adjust your pressures for actual weight, not what the sticker says which is likely maximum pressure for the tire. Drive it and see if that helped. If still squirrelly align it. Then and only then maybe consider parts thrown at it. One at a time and see what benefit you got.
Sage advice! The original owner had already installed Sumo springs in all 4 corners plus a beefy Roadmaster rear sway bar. Its actually pleasant to drive, just not as straight as an arrow as my f-150 was. I was chalking it up to a solid axle vs independent suspension, but if I can make it better, I'll work the process.
Old 12-10-2021, 01:30 AM   #11

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamokadave View Post
Sage advice! The original owner had already installed Sumo springs in all 4 corners plus a beefy Roadmaster rear sway bar. Its actually pleasant to drive, just not as straight as an arrow as my f-150 was. I was chalking it up to a solid axle vs independent suspension, but if I can make it better, I'll work the process.
Again mine was out in the toe. Fixing that made a big improvement.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 12-16-2021, 12:56 AM   #12
Jph

THOR #17238
If the alignment checks out ok, I learned from my tire dealer that the tire could be causing it to pull. Swapping the front tires one side to the other fixed my issue.
Good luck
Old 12-16-2021, 09:33 PM   #13

Model: SV34
THOR #24580
Alignment was just completed yesterday.

Turns out the Safe T Plus was not installed correctly by the dealer that installed it (previous owner had it done). Safe T Plus was causing the slight pull to the left. Shop also added a slight toe in.

I was only able to drive about 30 highway miles to test but the couch now tracks straight and doesn't pull left. A few hours and $240 later - I'm happy and can't wait for a longer trip.
Ottosails is offline   Reply With Quote