Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2021, 01:20 PM   #1
RCS

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Magnitude XG32
State: Texas
THOR #24446
Anyone changed the shower?

My wife really hates the shower in our new Magnitude XG32. Has anyone looked at changing the shower for a larger one? It does not look too hard to put in a 32 x 42 rectangle base, but we would lose most of the pantry. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

RCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 01:34 PM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
The two things we didn't like about the XG32 was the queen bed and the shower.

The SV34 has has the 30 x 36 rectangular shower and it is just about big enough to take a shower compfortably. We learned with the last coach the shower is a big item in terms of what can make or break a coach if you are on long trips.

Besides loosing the pantry, you are going to need to look at the drain plumbing. The rectangular pans have the drain on one end and the radius / corner shower pan has it in an odd location. You are going to need to see if you have enough room when you build a new support for the rectangular pan that you can move the drain to the closest end and that it will dtill drain properly.
Old 09-07-2021, 01:46 PM   #3
RCS

THOR #24446
Judge, thanks for the thoughts. I opened the access panel and looked at the plumbing. The current shower just sits on top of the bathroom floor and the plumbing just runs along the top of the floor. I have not measured the pipe, but it looks like a 3 inch abs pipe (black), easy enough to cut and redo to meet a drain opening in a new pan. I will have to build a base high enough to run all the plumbing under, but that does not look too hard either. Just trying to think this all the way through before tearing the bathroom apart.

I agree about the bed size, our last RV (a 5th wheel) had a king size bed, but we decided the smaller size of the Magnitude was worth the sacrifice of a queen bed. I upgraded the mattress and it is good to go. Unfortunately, the shower is another matter.
Old 09-07-2021, 01:57 PM   #4

THOR #12751
My 30x36 shower pan sits about 6" or 7" off the floor so there is some room to work. I may have posted a picture of it when I istalled these adjustable entry step support to better support the plywood under the pan insead of trying to add more pirces of 2x4 and they worked great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would try to build a shower support like I have and then that will give you room for the drain and other plumbing. They used two pieces of plywood... one that sat on the floor and then one under the shower pan. Then they used sections of 2x4 between the two pieces of plywood that were about 6" tall to support the plywood under the shower pan. Then the plumbing ran between the two pieces of plywood.

If you build it yourself, I'm sure you will do a much better job supporting the plywood that supports the sower pan than they did at the factory.
Old 09-07-2021, 02:35 PM   #5
RCS

THOR #24446
Judge, thanks. Next step is trying to figure out the pan and walls. DreamLine makes a 32 x 42 pan that should work, but no one seems to make a one piece shower enclosure that size, so I am looking at fitting acrylic walls to make the stall. The problem there is the seams - especially in an RV could be problematic. I am not sure what the structure behind the current shower stall is and if it will need to be reinforced.

Thanks again.
Old 09-07-2021, 02:40 PM   #6

THOR #12751
Anyone changed the shower?

It is nothing more than thin paneling board behind the shower wall. I know because I had to hang something that kept all of the wife’s shower products in one place, especially while traveling. It’s probably 3/16” or 1/4” board at best.
Old 09-07-2021, 11:03 PM   #7

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
If/when you get it all figured out be sure and take lots of pictures and measurements and be ready to post your results here. I'm not huge but I find the shower very confining.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 11:59 PM   #8
RCS

THOR #24446
Will do. Ordered the parts today, will be a few weeks before I get them.
Old 09-08-2021, 01:14 AM   #9

State: Alaska
THOR #18758
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
If/when you get it all figured out be sure and take lots of pictures and measurements and be ready to post your results here. I'm not huge but I find the shower very confining.
We removed the doors and put a shower curtain with wheels so it rides in the tracks-top and bottom. Seems more open to us. I'm curious to see if the solar wiring goes down the inside of the pantry wall and across the door frame. I only say that because you can see the wires coming down the wall if you remove the firefly panel.
Old 09-09-2021, 04:40 PM   #10

Model: XG32 Magnitude
THOR #21373
Just taking off doors, we lost about 30lbs
The photo's
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210909_121719.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	33489   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210909_122340.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	33491  

Name:	20210909_120148.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	33492  
Old 10-09-2021, 07:48 PM   #11
RCS

THOR #24446
Just finished the shower project, it was a bit of work, but is just what we wanted. I took lots of pictures (per Chunker's request). I will try to put it in a construction time line and post a "this is how I did it". Upside - great shower with lots of space (32" x 42"). Downside, the cupboard is now just a large spice rack with 2" shelves. Here are pictures of the new shower (open and door closed).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Shower w door open.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	34240   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shower w door closed.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	34241  

Old 10-09-2021, 08:50 PM   #12

THOR #18758
Wow!!! The Mrs. and I both love it times infinity!! Please post some spice rack pics so we can see what that looks like.
Again, excellent job
Old 10-09-2021, 09:04 PM   #13
RCS

THOR #24446
Here is the cupboard - I have not stained it yet. Not sure how we will use this space, but I am sure we can find something to store in there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	New Spice Rack.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	34243  
Old 10-09-2021, 09:13 PM   #14

THOR #18758
Nice work!
Old 10-10-2021, 01:14 AM   #15

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCS View Post
Just finished the shower project, it was a bit of work, but is just what we wanted. I took lots of pictures (per Chunker's request). I will try to put it in a construction time line and post a "this is how I did it". Upside - great shower with lots of space (32" x 42"). Downside, the cupboard is now just a large spice rack with 2" shelves. Here are pictures of the new shower (open and door closed).
Thanks looks good. Now just get lots of spices and cans of Spam.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 02-28-2023, 04:40 AM   #16

State: Iowa
THOR #26576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
My 30x36 shower pan sits about 6" or 7" off the floor so there is some room to work. I may have posted a picture of it when I istalled these adjustable entry step support to better support the plywood under the pan insead of trying to add more pirces of 2x4 and they worked great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would try to build a shower support like I have and then that will give you room for the drain and other plumbing. They used two pieces of plywood... one that sat on the floor and then one under the shower pan. Then they used sections of 2x4 between the two pieces of plywood that were about 6" tall to support the plywood under the shower pan. Then the plumbing ran between the two pieces of plywood.

If you build it yourself, I'm sure you will do a much better job supporting the plywood that supports the sower pan than they did at the factory.
Sorry for activating this old thread Judge but wanted to know if you had to do anything special when using these braces? Did you need to secure them to the floor or just tighten them? I’m going to do the same on my 2022 xg32. I had to order a different (but similar) product since I only have 4 inches from floor to shower pan support. I’m just worried they may work loose and roll around while traveling. Thanks again.
Old 02-28-2023, 09:37 AM   #17

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffc View Post
Sorry for activating this old thread Judge but wanted to know if you had to do anything special when using these braces? Did you need to secure them to the floor or just tighten them? I’m going to do the same on my 2022 xg32. I had to order a different (but similar) product since I only have 4 inches from floor to shower pan support. I’m just worried they may work loose and roll around while traveling. Thanks again.
I didn't do anything special. If you get them tight enough they should not move. However you could put screws into the floor around the base to prevent any movement.
Old 02-28-2023, 01:53 PM   #18

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffc View Post
I added supports and also couldn't use the thing judge did because of less space. It's been a while but as I recall I took some 5/16" plywood and cut into 6" squares. Then took some 2x4 of the appropriate length to make "legs" for the "tables". Attached the legs to the table tops and wedged them in to the spaces to help the floor support. I think I managed to get 3 or 4 stuck in there. I never did check on them but I seriously doubt the walked anywhere

It's really a poor and cheap design used by thor.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ