Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-03-2022, 02:07 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #20809
RV generator back feeding house possible?

Does anyone know if the generator in the RV (Magnitude SV34 specifically) can be used as a backup to a house in an outage (main breaker off) thru the shore power umbilical? Anything to be aware of or do?

Old 03-03-2022, 02:40 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Through the shore power umbilical? No. The ATS does not allow SP and generator to be connected.

You might want to read this thread:

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...tch-29616.html
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 02:45 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Yes, but not the way you describe.

First you cannot use the shore power "umbilical" cord (well, not as normally plugged in) to back feed your house. You have to have a separate outlet, analogous to the household 120V outlet in your RV but suitable for 50A, with two hots a neutral and a ground.

Then you need a cord long enough to go from that outlet to your house's breaker box. To tie in to your breaker box you need a two phase transfer switch that will power most 120V loads. I am not sure that you can also power 240V loads as your generator may not be wired to do that- can someone help here?

All in all it will cost $500-1,000 for the transfer switch panel, several hundred for the cable 50A outlet and who knows how much to install it.

On my last house I had a similar transfer switch that I tied into a portable generator which was only single phase. It worked well to power selected house circuits and covered us well during a week long power outage after hurricane Irene.

David
Old 03-03-2022, 02:51 PM   #4

THOR #20809
Yeah, had read. ATSs often have a bypass, was wondering if ours did or if anyone had figured out one. I dont know if 240v is presented anywhere n the coach.. Dont even know if the Gen has outlets on it. I usually leave the rv plugged into shore on the side of the house and was wondering if getting power was as simple as throwing the main and starting the gen. I guess no such luck.
Old 03-03-2022, 03:24 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
If the ATS had a bypass and you just used your shore power cord to back feed with no house transfer switch, two bad things could happen:

1. You could electrocute any lineman working on you downed power line because you would be backfeeding to him.

2. When the power comes back on you would probably fry your generator.

You could avoid these by switching off your house's main power breaker while your generator is running, but I wouldn't risk it. That is why they make home generator transfer switches.

David
Old 03-03-2022, 03:44 PM   #6

THOR #20809
100% agree. In my case home panel doesn't have an ATS for my dedicated gen but does have a breaker lockout. I'd imagine most folks with portable home gens dont have an ATS or lockout so this is a real concern. Hopefully they are all educated enough to know they have to throw the main.
Old 03-03-2022, 04:12 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryD View Post
100% agree. In my case home panel doesn't have an ATS for my dedicated gen but does have a breaker lockout. I'd imagine most folks with portable home gens dont have an ATS or lockout so this is a real concern. Hopefully they are all educated enough to know they have to throw the main.

A breaker lockout makes a lot of sense for portable generators, or a motorhome generator, that requires owner to connect and start generator manually anyway.

An automatic transfer switch makes more sense to me for permanent backup generator that will start automatically on its own without owner intervention.

I helped my son upgrade his electrical panel recently and he went with main breaker lockout that is very simple and affordable. A 30-Amp breaker brings in power from 240V portable generator, which obviously can’t power the entire house. But by throwing breakers on air conditioner and a couple of others, can easily power all lights, refrigerator, microwave, etc.

For a manual low-cost system it has a lot of capability for hurricane backup power. I think it is possible to do the same or similar using RV generator as long as electrical code is followed to keep yourself and everyone else safe.
Old 03-03-2022, 06:48 PM   #8

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
About 50 years back I installed a 200-amp double throw knife switch at the main entry to the house. Not sure what the current code would be on that

Simple and at the time very inexpensive.

Used it only a few times luckily.

Later the New Generac came with an auto transfer switch

I have a 50-amp receptacle tied parallel with the ATS on the Tuscany for back up. Again, very simple and cost effective. Highest cost was the SO cable to the home main. Have the breaker lockout there.
Old 03-03-2022, 07:13 PM   #9

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
If the motorhome is parked at/near your home & the power goes out fire up the generator & go stay in the rv.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 11:58 AM   #10
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
I guess you could use one of these. I have one but for my portable Honda generator and plug it into the 50 amp receptacle in my garage (with a couple adapters) You could plug it into any 15/20 amp outlet and it will back feed through that circuit only. That said. MAKE SURE YOU TURN OFF THE MAIN HOUSE BREAKER FIRST.

https://smile.amazon.com/Double-Exte...6395110&sr=8-5
Old 03-04-2022, 01:51 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS View Post
I guess you could use one of these. I have one but for my portable Honda generator and plug it into the 50 amp receptacle in my garage (with a couple adapters) You could plug it into any 15/20 amp outlet and it will back feed through that circuit only. That said. MAKE SURE YOU TURN OFF THE MAIN HOUSE BREAKER FIRST.

https://smile.amazon.com/Double-Exte...6395110&sr=8-5
Wow! I've never seen an actual suicide cable for sale before. I've only seen the DIY variety.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote