Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-27-2021, 10:47 PM   #1
LJR

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Minnesota
THOR #23608
Status panel

Status lights showed my black & grey water tanks were nearly full, dumped both, grey water “led” light reset to just 1 light(empty & normal)
black water tank emptied , but still have 3 led’s lit.
Suggestions? Cause?
Use a pressure wand to clean the tank walls??
I’m at a loss.

Old 05-27-2021, 10:59 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to the forum!
The tank sensors are guaranteed to work right up until they get wet...
You can try to clean them; but get used to this issue.
Old 05-27-2021, 11:05 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Black tank sensors will get covered with crap and paper not dumped.

Use a wand or black tank flush to fill the tank and dump again. Might take a couple iterations
Old 05-28-2021, 12:42 PM   #4

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Regularly use the black tank flush to help keep them functional. Note I said functional, not accurate. If you can see into the tank from the toilet, a wand will help. In the past I made my own with some 1/2" PVC, a gate valve, and small holes drilled in the PVC end cap. All my current RVs, and recent past ones, the toilet doesn't sit directly on top of the black tank so there is a sloped section of pipe to the tank. Wand won't work for those.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 12:45 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
You're pretty much left to hunting crap: while blind...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 01:32 PM   #6

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Wand works for me every-time.
And, after I’ve dumped, I leave the cap off and valve open (for an hour or so) to allow airflow & drying of the sensors.

Now, obviously not everyone has the luxury of using a wand and leaving the cap off and valve open every time.
But for me, since I can dump at my house...this is what works.
Old 05-28-2021, 03:44 PM   #7

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
post #3 is correct this may work..also after every dump i use happy camper and calgon mixed in 2 gals for 5 years. no smell sensors "so far" never failed
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 05:02 AM   #8

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Having the luxury of dumping at home, I flush the *#$@ out of the black tank! Fortunately I have a well tap (garden watering), so it's just the electric to run the pump. I fill it to maybe 1/3 - rock the whole MH a bit, then dump. I repeat that two more times until I see crystal clear water with no TP stragglers. Then I run a couple gallons of water into the tank, followed by a good shot of Calgon AND Tide detergent. After a good jostle, it's all set for the next trip. Call me overkill and anal... BUTT I've never had any pooper issues!
Old 06-10-2021, 12:22 PM   #9

THOR #20220
Nice idea. Calgon AND Tide detergent.*
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 06-10-2021, 01:57 PM   #10

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
mine worked ok for a surprisingly long time after I got the RV. eventually though they started to act-up.... and I could get them back live with tank cleaning and a little patience....

eventually I gave up. Even the fresh water corroded or something and stopped working reliably. I can pop open the cabinet for a look at that one though.

Sorta learned how long I can go before dumping. Blank tank is not really an issue. Ours isn't a straight shot for a visual level (thankfully) but it'll start to gurgle when flushing as the level reaches the bottom of the drop pipe. At that point we still have several flushes to go. Can't remember the last time we got there...if ever except when doing some maintenance flushing....
The grey tank is the one that bugs me the most...probably because that's our limiting capacity by far.....but I kinda have a gut feel about it and how many showers it can hold...basically a long weekend is no problem if not at the beech.

In practice the lack of level indicators hasn't been a huge issue, but still it bugs me in a huge way to have that stupid panel up there...I hate having things that don't work...even if it's something I don't really need!
Old 06-10-2021, 02:18 PM   #11

THOR #20220
Me too things not working bugs me! So far 1 month everything works 100%..could chg at a moments notice..but I try to stay on top of everything. Good luck to all of us that likes things working
Old 06-10-2021, 02:32 PM   #12

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Me too things not working bugs me! So far 1 month everything works 100%..could chg at a moments notice..but I try to stay on top of everything. Good luck to all of us that likes things working
You have to drive it someplace and set up first.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 06-10-2021, 02:41 PM   #13

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
You have to drive it someplace and set up first.
Along those lines, we've all seen the ads from dealers, car and RV, about home delivery. So a newby sees what he/she thinks they like, pays the dealer and the dealer "white glove delivers". Why white gloves?? So they don't get their hands dirty showing how to use the systems. Imagine the "thorough" PDI that's performed and imagine the quality this newby has now in their driveway. When they call the dealer and say the widget, 2 thing-a-ma-gigs, and 3 what's its don't work. You just know the dealer will promptly go back get it and fix everything by days end.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 06-10-2021, 03:52 PM   #14

THOR #20220
3 trips no problems another 3 day trip to amazing woodbine campsite in montana..hope all goes well.. have no hooked up to anything..this amazing group helped me with new batteries solar inverter..we are extremely happy
Old 06-10-2021, 05:27 PM   #15
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Along those lines, we've all seen the ads from dealers, car and RV, about home delivery. So a newby sees what he/she thinks they like, pays the dealer and the dealer "white glove delivers". Why white gloves?? So they don't get their hands dirty showing how to use the systems. Imagine the "thorough" PDI that's performed and imagine the quality this newby has now in their driveway. When they call the dealer and say the widget, 2 thing-a-ma-gigs, and 3 what's its don't work. You just know the dealer will promptly go back get it and fix everything by days end.
There was a post at the height of the lockdowns from someone who bought a diesel pusher sight unseen with home delivery. When it was delivered the driver said he delivers only and left. The person started complaining about everything that was wrong with the coach. Dealer said they delivered and didn’t say they conducted an on-site PDI.