Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2022, 11:08 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Surprise for me on the E450 Power Steering recall

Called Ted Russell Ford Parkside Drive here in Knoxville yesterday to schedule an inspection of the power steering lines on our 2022 Quantum JM31 built on a 2021 Ford E450 chassis. I have a recall letter from Ford. We ordered the coach in Jan 2021 and picked it up in Florida on May 20, 2021. The coach was built in Indiana. The lady at the dealership ask for our VIN number and replied that the recall had already been done in April 2021 at a Ford dealership in Texas. We have never had this coach to any dealership Ford or otherwise since picking it up. It puzzles me how this can be unless Thor did the inspection at the factory and somehow used the Ford dealership in Texas to document the fact. We received an email from Matt Sibbick at the factory on April 12, 2021 stating that our coach was already in production. I believe the E450 Cutaway Van is built in Avon Lake Ohio so how did it get to Texas in April and back to Indiana so fast? Why would Thor ship the chassis down to Texas when they have Ford dealerships in Indiana?

Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 12:09 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Sounds like a case of "left hand... right hand..." and a healthy dose of assuming from Thor and the dealership. Should NOT be that complicated!
Old 05-17-2022, 12:23 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Maybe the Dealer in Texas fat-fingered a VIN for one they did the warranty service work on. Seems like an easy fix because in Texas they would track to the title, they could find the actual customer on that sate to get the VIN they should have used. Otherwise it may well be fraud and they used your VIN to get something done for someone else?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 01:09 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Could also be the recall was done at a dealer and recorded by the mother shop located in another state.

There are, after all, multi state dealers.
Old 05-17-2022, 01:55 PM   #5

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Could also be the recall was done at a dealer and recorded by the mother shop located in another state.

There are, after all, multi state dealers.
If so, they SHOULD have a way of clearly distinguishing between them. For one, each state assigns a tax ID.

It would be like parents who name all their children the same... with no "junior, II, III" etc.
Old 05-17-2022, 03:24 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
If so, they SHOULD have a way of clearly distinguishing between them. For one, each state assigns a tax ID.

It would be like parents who name all their children the same... with no "junior, II, III" etc.
Since it was applied before the original purchase how the dealer operates is up to them and nobody else.

Easy enough for the OP to do a VIN search for recalls. Ford normally keeps good records of recalls.
Old 05-17-2022, 07:56 PM   #7

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Reading up on this recall:
Affected vehicles: select 2021-2022 Ford E-Series E-350 and E-450 vehicles with dual rear wheels built at the Ford Ohio Assembly plant between May 11th, 2019, through June 17th, 2021.
If the OPs recall "was completed Apr '21" why would they still be building defective ones through June '21? And I find the 'recall' was only issued Feb. '22 by Ford...

Definitely a strange one, someone musta entered wrong info somewhere.
Old 05-18-2022, 04:05 PM   #8

Model: 34E Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #25490
PM me the last 8 of the VIN and I will look it up.
Old 05-19-2022, 10:21 AM   #9

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sappy2 View Post
PM me the last 8 of the VIN and I will look it up.
Have already input the VIN in www.ford.com/support/recalls and that website says my vehicle does not have any recalls.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 12:04 PM   #10

State: California
THOR #24024
Lightbulb Power steering recall

I would contact FOrd Customer service the number is in the Owners Manual and ask them directly. If your dealrer typed in one character wrong then they pulled the wrong histry or they needed the space that day in the shop.

I have helped customers deal with vehicle warranties and recalls as an Auto Repair center and warranties are a low money maker for them. The parts are FREE to the dealer and they only get paid about 90 dollars an hour instead of their usual shop rates which are higher.

Please, Do Not give up.
Old 05-19-2022, 12:17 PM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nodine View Post
Have already input the VIN in www.ford.com/support/recalls and that website says my vehicle does not have any recalls.
So does the mean the lady's statement at the dealership is wrong?

The lady at the dealership ask for our VIN number and replied that the recall had already been done in April 2021 at a Ford dealership in Texas.

If so; no surprise there. Although, my dealerships for my boats and motorcycles seem to always be the ones to tell me about recall warranty work even though I do get some in the mail. Thy just take care of. I think VIN number is in their system and automatically flagged or something so when I come in for something else; they just tell me about it?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote