Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-14-2021, 11:36 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #23417
Thoughts on prospective purchase

If this pops up as a duplicate post my apologies, I seem to have experienced some sort of terminal posting malfunction, most likely the component located between the keyboard and the chair

I am currently seriously considering this Thor Class C
https://www.elmontervsales.com/listi...ff2b2a9755e6a/
, probably more as a result of proximity rather than intensive investigation. In any case this is the arena I suspect we want to play in and will at least serve for information purposes.

Given my level of experience with RV’s you should probably talk to me like I’m 4 years old I had never even set foot inside and RV until about 2 weeks ago, but I do have extensive tent camping and pop up camper towing behind a Jeep. Admittedly, I have never driven, or even ridden in, something this large. But I’m not in much of a hurry and can see well, so I believe I can adapt at least satisfactorily to something larger/heavier than a pickup towing a race car.

For most of my life I have been involved in hobbies such as drag racing, classic Corvette restoration, motorcycle riding, and kit car building. As such I have developed a passable ability to work on things mechanical and problem solve. And I believe that I have a reasonable grasp of the issue of ALL RV’s being highly maintenance intensive and having intermittent (or worse) issues that have to be addressed and which are best addressed by the owner rather than a dealer. Stuff’s gonna break and I’m pretty sure I can deal with that.

I can’t imagine there ever being more than the two of us plus a dog in the RV and we would consider a two week to be very long indeed. I anticipate on concentrating, perhaps exclusively, on state/national parks and mostly during the milder months of the year.

Having said all that and having no more information than what is presented above, I realize it’s not possible for strangers to provide definitive advice, but I feel it would be useful to at least entertain comments, observations, suggestions, and any humorous snide remarks from those of you who have extensive experience in this field.

I’m pretty sure we’re not going to be one of the group that ran out and purchased an RV in the wake of the health crisis and believe we can work with the idea that RV’s are just something that requires a lot of owner attention.

Thanks in advance to anyone who is willing to take the time to share their thoughts and God bless.

Old 05-16-2021, 12:28 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum! Try the search feature for themes like "new to RV."

My best suggestion is to rent a coach similar to what you think you want. Then before you buy get someone (not the seller) to inspect the rig you are interested in. These two actions will reduce the odds of making an expensive mistake.
Old 05-16-2021, 12:34 AM   #3

THOR #23417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Welcome to the forum! Try the search feature for themes like "new to RV."

My best suggestion is to rent a coach similar to what you think you want. Then before you buy get someone (not the seller) to inspect the rig you are interested in. These two actions will reduce the odds of making an expensive mistake.
Thanx for the input, and I agree.
I have arranged for those two things.
Old 05-16-2021, 01:36 AM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to our campfire! And happy hunting too!
Old 05-16-2021, 02:05 AM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Welcome to the forum. If you are serious get an inspector to check it out. I would question a used 2020.
Old 05-16-2021, 02:17 AM   #6

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Welcome to the forum. If you are looking at a used coach from a rental company, remember that most people renting do not have the knowledge or caring attitude about the rental unit they are using and some abuse may occur. Rental units can be great since most issues have already been discovered and repaired or they can be a disaster in disguise. Have it inspected by an independent professional.

Good luck
Paul
Old 05-16-2021, 03:55 AM   #7

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Welcome aboard.
We bought a unit that was a rental at our local RV dealer. We bought a 2018 ACE that was "new" in 2017 so by the time we bought it in 2019 it had two seasons rentals.
Mileage 23,000 and 500 hours on the genset. The heavy hours on the genset was explained as the rental office told renters to run the genset for the coach air when driving the rig.
The coach had a couple issues after we got it home that we didn't catch on delivery inspection. Someone had clocked the over air antenna on a low branch so it wouldn't rotate and, no surprise as most renters don't understand how to use a marine toilet, the black tank had a clogging issue. Those two items and some scuffs on the interior drawers and doors have been about it. The dealer kept up with service and repairs based on the rental offices paperwork. We did purchase an extended warranty when we got the coach as we had no factory warranty left from Thor.
We had never purchased an extended warranty on our previous coaches as those we purchased new and had the factory warranty for the first year.
If you are purchasing from a rental company ask them to see the service and repair work orders for the unit, they should have those on file and that will give you some idea of what has had to be addressed in the unit. With a little due diligence a rental unit can be a good deal. Inspect it carefully, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Good luck and Good hunting!
Mark
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 03:48 PM   #8

THOR #23417
Thank you for the feedback

I believe that I am going to have an opportunity to rent the actual unit I am interested in purchasing, so that should be useful. And I would use an independent inspector.
Old 05-16-2021, 06:22 PM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobs_your_uncle View Post
I believe that I am going to have an opportunity to rent the actual unit I am interested in purchasing, so that should be useful. And I would use an independent inspector.

Golden! You should be fine. Enjoy the “test run”.
Old 05-16-2021, 09:33 PM   #10

Model: Deposit: Chateau 28A
State: Ohio
THOR #22158
Welcome to the campfire! You have been given excellent advice from those above me so I just want to say happy hunting and once you land on the unit you will buy, enjoy the memories of your journeys with it. We have the Chateau 28A and love it! The Chateau is the cousin to the Four Winds brand.
Old 05-27-2021, 06:29 PM   #11

Model: 24FE
State: Illinois
THOR #16593
Welcome, my wife and I took the same path. I was a tent camper and when we married 11 years ago, I got her into camping. We got a larger tent, then a pop-up pull behind and two years ago, a Thor Freedom Elite 24FE. My wife is the 'Chief Engineer' and along with a local RV repair shop, we are having the great time. We are off to Yellowstone in July!
john445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 06:32 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I wonder how things are working out for the O.P.?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 10:35 PM   #13

THOR #23417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I wonder how things are working out for the O.P.?
The OP wonders too
Still in negations with the CFO
Old 05-27-2021, 10:45 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Good luck!
Old 05-28-2021, 04:35 PM   #15

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
hurry up!!

24-hour shifts
RV industry has seen a 160 percent
can't keep any inventory
business is on track to double the number of RVs sold last year
13 million RV households in the United States
48 million U.S. households camped at least once last year.
households that own RVs grew from 2.6 million to 9.6 million.
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 02:06 AM   #16

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
hurry up!!

24-hour shifts
RV industry has seen a 160 percent
can't keep any inventory
business is on track to double the number of RVs sold last year
13 million RV households in the United States
48 million U.S. households camped at least once last year.
households that own RVs grew from 2.6 million to 9.6 million.
My prediction is during the next two years, there is going to be a tremendous glut of used RVs... when many of the newbies figure out that owning/maintaining an RV/trailer is WAY more work than they realized. And a 2 year old barely used RV is practically new... at maybe HALF of retail price! 😉
Old 06-08-2021, 12:12 PM   #17

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
My prediction is during the next two years, there is going to be a tremendous glut of used RVs... when many of the newbies figure out that owning/maintaining an RV/trailer is WAY more work than they realized. And a 2 year old barely used RV is practically new... at maybe HALF of retail price! 😉
Problem is those barely used will be barely maintained also. You spend the other half of retail to get it right.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 01:32 PM   #18

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20808
I recently drove pass a vehicle auction lot, the type where dealers send vehicles that they do not want to resell on their lot as used.

The amount of RV's of all types on the lot was astonishing. About 3X to 4X what is typically on this lot for auction. Not many cars and trucks.

It is apparent that dealers are dealing new and off loading the used ones anyway they can.

Stay tuned.....
Old 06-08-2021, 01:42 PM   #19

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumatics View Post
I recently drove pass a vehicle auction lot, the type where dealers send vehicles that they do not want to resell on their lot as used.

The amount of RV's of all types on the lot was astonishing. About 3X to 4X what is typically on this lot for auction. Not many cars and trucks.

It is apparent that dealers are dealing new and off loading the used ones anyway they can.

Stay tuned.....
True and what a dealer allows in trade or purchase is the minimum they know they can get at auction. If it's a unit that's older and uncommon to their lot they probably immediately send it off. If newer, very good condition and of the "hot commodity" model, they'll keep it a set time and then off to the auction if not quickly sold. Unlike dealer stock of new, they won't typically let a trade-in unit sit around for long periods.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 02:18 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
...And that is simply good business...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote