Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-04-2021, 07:23 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oklahoma
THOR #2881
I use an e-trailer SD non-binding tow bar and a Demco base plate on my 2021 JL. Great combo and very user friendly

Old 12-04-2021, 08:12 PM   #22

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #19918
Tow system

I have a 28z four winds. Since we were complete newbies we had our system professionally installed with blue ox baseplate, blue ox tow bar, patriot braking system, max haul brake lighting system, and blue ox car guard (to protect my 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee). I believe it cost around $5000 in 2018. We’ve had no issues but have only put about 5000miles on it. Technically you are not to go in reverse when flat towing but you will eventually get in a situation where you need to reverse a few feet at least or unhitch your vehicle (way to much work for a few feet). My husband does the tow bar and car guard while I get the car into neutral for towing, install the brake and lights. I also like to watch my car from the back up camera on the radio
Old 12-05-2021, 12:45 AM   #23

State: New York
THOR #10441
We set up to tow our 2015 & 2013, it’s worth it. Depends on what type of trip we are taking for what Jeep. Off-road 2015 just a camping trip the 2013.
Old 12-05-2021, 02:13 AM   #24

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Forest River 2400R MBS
State: Missouri
THOR #13744
You can save a ton of money by doing all the work yourself and buying some used components. The only things new you probably have to buy are the base plate and light wiring for your toad.
I tow a Ford Focus. Bought a new bas plate and wiring for the lights and installed it myself (etrailer has videos for just about everything they sell). I bought a Blue Ox towbar and a RViBrake 2 used. The whole set up was like 1600.00 if I remember correctly.
Old 12-05-2021, 01:36 PM   #25

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71_340 View Post
You can save a ton of money by doing all the work yourself and buying some used components. The only things new you probably have to buy are the base plate and light wiring for your toad.
I tow a Ford Focus. Bought a new bas plate and wiring for the lights and installed it myself (etrailer has videos for just about everything they sell). I bought a Blue Ox towbar and a RViBrake 2 used. The whole set up was like 1600.00 if I remember correctly.

I wouldn’t buy a used tow bar because it could have been involved in an accident. Followed a thread about Blue Ox tow bar failures on another site and after several pages it turned out that the failed bar had been purchased used and was sold because the previous owner had been rear ended. Not worth the risk. IMO
Old 12-05-2021, 01:48 PM   #26

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I wouldn’t buy a used tow bar because it could have been involved in an accident. Followed a thread about Blue Ox tow bar failures on another site and after several pages it turned out that the failed bar had been purchased used and was sold because the previous owner had been rear ended. Not worth the risk. IMO
I made the same suggestion in post #14, just too risky to not know the condition. Tow bars are meant to pull and you frequently see questions people ask about backing up. Predictably you'll have someone who brags they back it up all the time and only a couple times jack knifed it. Blah, Blah. Then the situation as Pete says of getting rear ended the tow bar is damaged. Yes tow bars are expensive, everything with RVs and the experience can be expensive. If a person isn't willing to spend the $$ to have the experience safely and properly, they shouldn't do it. A broken tow bar is a serious threat to others on the road when your 5000 pound toad separates and plows into innocent people.

In that case it's not an accident that person caused, it's vehicular homicide.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 02:39 PM   #27

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Forest River 2400R MBS
State: Missouri
THOR #13744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Pretty easy to check out the condition of a tow bar to determine if it is binding, bent or has any other damage. I guess I should have said that you have to have the knowledge to inspect/troubleshoot components.....my bad.

For myself, I am comfortable with my decision, but I have been a certified mechanic for almost 50 years and know what I am looking at.