Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2022, 02:16 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tellaro 20L
State: Oklahoma
THOR #26690
2022 Tellaro Altenator Belt Cuts Radiator Hose

Has anyone had trouble with the serpentine belt modification for the Ballamar Altenator/Genrator on the Reliable Lithium option cutting the radiator hose? We have only owned our vehicle for 4 months and have cut through two hoses in 5,000 miles. If you own the Tellaro with the Lithium option you should check under the passenger side behind the front wheel for clearance. I think it might be a Thor Design flaw.

Old 08-01-2022, 02:19 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Have you contacted Thor? What did they say? That should be your first call.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 02:36 PM   #3

THOR #26690
I have contacted Thor 3 times and Campingworld has contact Thor Motor Coach on 4 occasions since June. It has been looked at by Dodge/Ram as well as Campingworld. Although Thor realizes it is a serious issue that their Engineering Team needs to resolve, the 2022 Tellaro has been parked in my driveway for 3 months with out a fix. We have owned it only 5 months and it already has a second hose being cut through which will dump all of the engine coolant and could cause catastrophic engine damage if it happens on the road. We currently own a $120,000 paper weight without an engineered fix from Thor.
Old 08-01-2022, 02:53 PM   #4

THOR #26690
Just received an update from Thor this morning. They are working with the vendor to come up with a molded hose fix. I will keep everyone posted. They expect some answers this week and acknowledge this is an issue.
Old 08-01-2022, 03:09 PM   #5

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Not knowing your setup, I did a search online and there are various hose protectors out there. I am guessing it is one small area that is affected, so until they come up with a 'modified' hose, could you not place a small piece of tin, wrapped around the spot on the hose? Or similar to this?
Just to get the paperweight moving.
Old 08-01-2022, 03:34 PM   #6

THOR #26690
Thanks. You are on the right track. I need to shrink the file size of my photos to post. The current radiator hose is a 6 inch long rubber elbow with a 2 inch outer diameter 1.5. Inch inner diameter with 1/4 inch wall thickness. The side of the serpentine belt cuts through it like a steak knife over time. It cuts in a lower part of the elbow so your clamp wouldn’t quite be in the right place. Like you, suggested replacing the middle part of the hose with a 1/16 stainless steel mandible elbow. The inner diameter would be the same for flow, higher temperature resistance than the rubber and would pick up 3/16th of clearance which would probably solve the issue. Maybe Thor can get to the same place with a 1 piece molded 1/16th plastic hose. Dodge/Ram said that Thor modified the Serpentine Belt and the Radiator Hose so it is their issue not Dodge/Ram.
Old 08-01-2022, 03:47 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennC View Post
Has anyone had trouble with the serpentine belt modification for the Ballamar Altenator/Genrator on the Reliable Lithium option cutting the radiator hose? We have only owned our vehicle for 4 months and have cut through two hoses in 5,000 miles. If you own the Tellaro with the Lithium option you should check under the passenger side behind the front wheel for clearance. I think it might be a Thor Design flaw.

Some house-dedicated 2nd alternators had belt-to-hose interference issues years ago, but I thought the issue had been corrected. There are various RV manufacturers adding a second house-dedicated alternator, so it’s not a problem limited to Thor if I recall correctly.

RAM recently made chassis modifications, and I wonder if this could have somehow indirectly caused your problem. If you don’t mind me asking, do you know if your 2022 Tellaro has a 2021 Model Year ProMaster, or a 2022 MY? It is not uncommon for motorhomes to have a chassis from previous year.

If you don’t know, a major difference is 6-speed versus 9-speed transmission. I believe 2022 serpentine belt may have been revised but I’m not certain.
Old 08-01-2022, 04:00 PM   #8

THOR #11130
Quote:
I have contacted Thor 3 times and Campingworld has contact Thor Motor Coach on 4 occasions since June. It has been looked at by Dodge/Ram as well as Campingworld. Although Thor realizes it is a serious issue that their Engineering Team needs to resolve, the 2022 Tellaro has been parked in my driveway for 3 months with out a fix. We have owned it only 5 months and it already has a second hose being cut through which will dump all of the engine coolant and could cause catastrophic engine damage if it happens on the road. We currently own a $120,000 paper weight without an engineered fix from Thor.

A lot more background than your first post covered and sounds like you have it under control other than final resolution. Hope all goes well. I would request Thor to extend your complete warranty package by the amount of time you haven't been able to use it. If you can, and you may have it already, get a copy of the work order from Dodge/Ram stating their diagnosis and outlining the fact it was a Thor modification that cause the issue. All this just in case it goes into litigation. Much easier to collect bullets along the way than to find them later.
Old 08-01-2022, 07:17 PM   #9

THOR #26690
Unhappy

Thanks for the feedback Chance. This is a 2022 model with a 2022 model engine. Thor created a secondary mount for the Ballamar Altenator/Generator on the side of the engine. By doing this they needed to add a longer serpentine belt to turn the second Altenator. In addition, they swapped out the original Mopar Radiator Hose for an aftermarket hose to slip in between the engine and the belt. The clearance is less than 1/8th inch and during use there is no clearance.

In addition, thanks for the suggestion (I think from Gritz) to get a reset on the warranty to compensate for the last 4 months I have not been able to use the vehicle. Thor kinda put me between a rock and a hard place because I had a stainless steel solution suggested by a Boeing Lead Mechanic suggested to me and I procured the parts, however without Thor Engineering approving the modification I would void my warranty. That was back in April
Old 08-01-2022, 07:20 PM   #10

THOR #26690
We used to have a Thor Axis and it had several warranty issues a few years back. At the end of the day Thor did fix all of the issues. This is a bit different because it renders the RV unusable. I hope they come up with their solution soon.
Old 08-01-2022, 08:19 PM   #11

Model: Tuscany
THOR #1808
can you post a picture of the hose and belt?
maybe our brains here can figure a fix for you until thor or ram figures it out?
Old 08-01-2022, 11:13 PM   #12

THOR #26690
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	38975

This is the first hose cut by the serpentine belt modification
Old 08-01-2022, 11:31 PM   #13

THOR #26690

Views:	68
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	38976

1/16 steel mandible insert solution
Old 08-02-2022, 03:40 AM   #14

Model: Tuscany
THOR #1808
Quote:
Attachment 38975

This is the first hose cut by the serpentine belt modification
that is CLOSE as you know what
thank you
Old 08-02-2022, 03:52 AM   #15

THOR #26690

Views:	103
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	38985

This is the second hose installed. Less space than a gnats *&#
Old 08-02-2022, 11:27 AM   #16

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback Chance. This is a 2022 model with a 2022 model engine. Thor created a secondary mount for the Ballamar Altenator/Generator on the side of the engine. By doing this they needed to add a longer serpentine belt to turn the second Altenator. In addition, they swapped out the original Mopar Radiator Hose for an aftermarket hose to slip in between the engine and the belt. The clearance is less than 1/8th inch and during use there is no clearance.

In addition, thanks for the suggestion (I think from Gritz) to get a reset on the warranty to compensate for the last 4 months I have not been able to use the vehicle. Thor kinda put me between a rock and a hard place because I had a stainless steel solution suggested by a Boeing Lead Mechanic suggested to me and I procured the parts, however without Thor Engineering approving the modification I would void my warranty. That was back in April
Fix it like the Boeing guy suggests. Heck, he/she is probably more experienced with this type of “on the go” mod than Thor’s people anyway. Get back on the road. Enjoy the life!
Old 08-02-2022, 12:25 PM   #17

THOR #11130
I wouldn't touch it...that's a major issue and just looking at it gives me chills of a warranty denial. It's a major issue I'm sure will get worked out. Bummer that you can't use it but you have the attention of the right people. If possible, submit your Boeing idea to Thor as a possible, temporary resolution and see what they say. I'd bet they wouldn't buy into it. ride it out, get compensation for warranty and see what happens. Have you brought your insurance into the picture for claims of "loss of use" possibilities? This will involve relocation of major components or new bracket engineering...who knows? NHTSA might be interested in this as a formal recall...I would contact them right away and file a report. Be nice, don't mention your law firm (Dewey, Cheathum & Howe) but be persistent. Have you considered taking/shipping it back to the factory service center and leave it there? Do you know what chassis prep company made the modification or was it actually Thor at their own facility?
Old 08-02-2022, 02:14 PM   #18

THOR #26690
Like I said…I am between a rock and a hard place. They have really grounded my vehicle. I can’t fix the issue myself and risk voiding the warranty. Thor Engineering wouldn’t sign off on my fix because of potential “vibration” issues? The same Engineering who probably came up with this crazy design of tucking a lower radiator coolant hose 1/16th inch behind a fast moving serpentine belt that they designed. I am not litigious, I just want to be able to drive the vehicle. I put down $15,000 cash on a $120,000 B Van I have been paying $650 per month for that I have only been able to use twice in 6 months. Thors lack of responsiveness is stunning. This really sucks.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:57 PM   #19

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Like I said…I am between a rock and a hard place. They have really grounded my vehicle. I can’t fix the issue myself and risk voiding the warranty. Thor Engineering wouldn’t sign off on my fix because of potential “vibration” issues? The same Engineering who probably came up with this crazy design of tucking a lower radiator coolant hose 1/16th inch behind a fast moving serpentine belt that they designed. I am not litigious, I just want to be able to drive the vehicle. I put down $15,000 cash on a $120,000 B Van I have been paying $650 per month for that I have only been able to use twice in 6 months. Thors lack of responsiveness is stunning. This really sucks.
Contact the NHTSA and do a report because that would be dangerous if the fluid ran out and the engine seized, the brakes and steering go to manual
Old 08-03-2022, 12:22 AM   #20
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Read your warranty and send the certified letter to Thor. Based on reasonable time for repairs.

Do what you are supposed to do.

Telephone and e-mail doesn’t count. You have not yet officially notified Thor in writing as required.