Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2022, 01:25 AM   #41

State: California
THOR #25047
2022 Thor Sanctuary 19P Wheels - Need Help Identifying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyray 992 View Post
Not trying to discourage anyone from buying these wheels and tires, but one of the first things I did was purchase a set of Method wheels with Toyo Open Country 265/70r/17's installed with Sumo Spring overloads. Im not kidding, it is a different van. A pleasure to drive. A few years ago I was going through tires fairly quickly when running the BFG's on my Dodge 2500. The BFG's work great on my Tacoma , but was told the Dodge was too heavy, which is why it was eating tires. Im on my third set I think of the Toyo's on the Dodge , and work way better than the BFG's. These vans probably weigh more than the Dodge, definitely loaded, so now there on my van. I see almost everyone runs BFG's on these vans, but honestly , not sure why. Just my two cents , and I get a great deal on tires as a good friend owns a shop. No, I don't work for Toyo or Method.

Our tranquility came with this setup, we’re 1 year 6,000 miles with them and have no problems. Just finally decided to get a spare. We aren’t going to spend the extra money to change them all out when we’ve been satisfied. We had the tires on a 1996 Dodge diesel with a lance camper, also satisfied with how they performed.

Old 10-05-2022, 03:31 AM   #42

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
THOR #28167
Just joining this forum and also looking for a spare wheel/tire combination.

Is there any difference in the lug nuts for a steel versus alloy wheel?
Old 10-05-2022, 04:04 PM   #43

State: Alabama
THOR #25796
Quote:
Originally Posted by jctranquility View Post
Just joining this forum and also looking for a spare wheel/tire combination.

Is there any difference in the lug nuts for a steel versus alloy wheel?

The wheels use lug bolts, not nuts.

Lug bolt length an vary and is extremely important. There also can be a difference in the shape of the head on the bolt. It is important that the bolt have the correct taper / shape to contact the mounting surface of the wheel where the bolt is inserted. If the bolt is too long, it can contact the brake disk. If too short, it won't have enough thread contact with the hub flange and could fail.

In my case, the aftermarket steel wheel I purchased was safe to mount with the lug bolts that were on the vehicle. That had the same bolt head taper / shape and length required by steel wheel.
Old 10-06-2022, 12:00 AM   #44

THOR #28167
Thanks much.
Old 10-06-2022, 12:52 AM   #45

THOR #25796
Quote:
Thanks much.
Do you have the steel wheels or the alloys? The reason I ask is because the bolts for the stock steel wheel won't fit most aftermarket alloy wheels if any.

If you have the alloys and want to buy a steel wheel for a spare, I can give you the info on what I bought. It was way cheaper than a MB steelie and compatible with the bolts that were on alloys that came with my van. I bought my tire from Discount Tire Direct and had it mounted locally.
Old 10-06-2022, 02:56 AM   #46

THOR #28167
I would appreciate getting the information about the steel wheel as I think that is the most economical approach. Thank you.
Old 10-06-2022, 01:08 PM   #47

THOR #25796
Quote:
I would appreciate getting the information about the steel wheel as I think that is the most economical approach. Thank you.
https://www.carid.com/2020-mercedes-...-steel-wheels/
I bought the Replikaz one. I made my own hitch mount.