Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2021, 07:57 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Compass
State: California
THOR #23445
battery not charging...reads 11.7 V (coach) Warning

I'm hoping for some clarification. I'm am completely new to the RV world. This is our second time out in our compass thor 2020. The coach battery reads on the control panel 11.7 V and has the exclamation warning sign above it. The Chassie reads 13.5 V. Next bit off information, nothing happens when the toggle is switch to on and one of the 3 options is performed. 1. Driving (alternator charge), 2. at home and plugged in 120 V, nor 3. Generator running. The battery shows 11.7 V at the toggle site. When we push the button on the solar charger converter under the toggle it remains at 1/4 battery and switches from 11.9 and 11.8. Not sure what the other 2 options, which show Zero A and Zero Ah. Trying to make sense of everything, considering if we don't have the generator on, the battery gets so low, so quickly we can't use any of the electrical functions. Hoping someone can educate me. I've come to conclusion, it is either a simple fix that i don't know about or I need a new battery. Help?

Old 05-16-2021, 08:52 PM   #2

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
First, I would check the reverse polarity fuses in the distribution center. I don't know your coach but mine has 2 @ 40A red fuses for this feature.

I would read the voltage across the battery when plugged into shore power - if the battery is charging from the distribution center then the voltage will be around 13.2 volt or above. Use a digital voltmeter.

There is a breaker in the battery compartment that is hard to identify. Trace the battery wires and you should see what looks like a terminal block - it is a breaker. There will be a small "button" on it and it might be under a cover. Press the button to reset the breaker.

Other wise, 11.7v on a battery is a 30% charge. It could be shot. I would go to a national auto parts chain that has free battery testing and installation and have the battery tested.

Others smarter than me will chime in.
Old 05-17-2021, 12:25 AM   #3

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
If you aren't charging the house batteries on shore power, generator power, or alternator, does your vehicle have a battery disconnect? Do any of the interior lights work? Sounds like the circuit breaker for the converter is popped. The AC voltage doesn't directly charge the batteries, it uses a converter to take the 120 VAC and make it 12VDC to charge the batteries.
Old 05-17-2021, 12:45 AM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Since they have the "electrical stuff" well-answered: I'll just welcome you to our campfire.