Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2021, 07:37 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Large alternators can be a cheaper middle ground for some, particularly if OEM alternator option has enough capacity to meet the need.

Last time I checked, camping trailers outsold motorhomes by quite a bit, and few have generators. It is possible to camp without a generator, particularly when staying in campgrounds with hookups, or camping in cool weather. I personally think it comes down to costs, and expect RV manufacturers believe buyers willing to pay much more for motorhomes are also willing to pay for a generator, whether it gets much use or not.

Motorhomes with second or dedicated alternators that can usually produce between 100 and 200 Amps while driving could make an Onan unnecessary for some, particularly if traveling like a trailer and from campground to campground. Some owners may want to power an A/C and residential fridge while driving their motorhome, but that can be handled by a large alternator. OEM options are normally priced under $1,000, so lower cost than an Onan.

I agree most motorhomes will likely continue to have generators until chassis powertrains are revised to hybrid or electric. For now RV manufacturers will remain mainstream with Onan generators and leave creativity to individuals with unusual tastes or needs.

With mass production, it must be difficult and costly to offer a motorhome with a generator “option”, like Winnebago is doing with Ekko. I would bet that if most buyers go one way or the other, Winnebago will eliminate the other option.
I saw on a website the 7.3 has a 250 amp alternator. One replacement website had a 350 amp alternator. Alternator manufacturers know the same things about alternators that we do- they are designed to maintain batteries that are near a full state of charge, not recharge deeply-discharged batteries, Optima Batteries

Old 07-22-2021, 09:51 PM   #42

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
I saw on a website the 7.3 has a 250 amp alternator. One replacement website had a 350 amp alternator. Alternator manufacturers know the same things about alternators that we do- they are designed to maintain batteries that are near a full state of charge, not recharge deeply-discharged batteries, Optima Batteries

Agree overheating can be a problem if standard auto alternators are loaded to the max for long periods.

Ford offers some heavy-duty vehicles with 7.3L gas V8 with dual alternators. I think they are 240 + 157 Amp for a total of 397 Amps. Other vehicles like Transit vans and Cutaways offer 2 X 250 Amp alternators. There are many owners who report getting 100 to 200 Amps for long periods without issues so far.

A few RV manufacturers install a dedicated HD 280-Amp alternator which are reportedly charging at up to 200 Amps. My point is that when driving most of the day, it’s possible to charge a 600 Ah battery bank before boondocking for the next night.

I prefer to see opportunities and solutions rather than focus on obstacles. While I agree belt life and temperature can be problems, they are relatively simple to solve. One example is Ford standard Pro Power Onboard designed to output 2,000 Watts continuously. That alternator must be charging at around 2,500 Watts, or +/- 100 Amps at 24 Volt nominal.

Even better are the new alternators manufacturers are using for 48 Volt mild hybrid vehicles. They have output of roughly 15 to 20 kW, so even if derated a bunch to operate continuously, at least 5 to 10 kW should be very easy to achieve. And their cost is fairly low by comparison.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:29 PM   #43

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Agree overheating can be a problem if standard auto alternators are loaded to the max for long periods.

Ford offers some heavy-duty vehicles with 7.3L gas V8 with dual alternators. I think they are 240 + 157 Amp for a total of 397 Amps. Other vehicles like Transit vans and Cutaways offer 2 X 250 Amp alternators. There are many owners who report getting 100 to 200 Amps for long periods without issues so far.

A few RV manufacturers install a dedicated HD 280-Amp alternator which are reportedly charging at up to 200 Amps. My point is that when driving most of the day, it’s possible to charge a 600 Ah battery bank before boondocking for the next night.

I prefer to see opportunities and solutions rather than focus on obstacles. While I agree belt life and temperature can be problems, they are relatively simple to solve. One example is Ford standard Pro Power Onboard designed to output 2,000 Watts continuously. That alternator must be charging at around 2,500 Watts, or +/- 100 Amps at 24 Volt nominal.

Even better are the new alternators manufacturers are using for 48 Volt mild hybrid vehicles. They have output of roughly 15 to 20 kW, so even if derated a bunch to operate continuously, at least 5 to 10 kW should be very easy to achieve. And their cost is fairly low by comparison.
That would be great. I just remember for many years alternators are for keeping a battery at full charge and maintaining not charging a low battery because it could damage the alternator
Old 07-24-2021, 07:39 PM   #44

Model: Citation 24ST
State: Washington
THOR #10271
LP generator

I have a propane generator that has an oil leak and it’s not from the drain plug. Crankcase gasket or what?
Old 07-25-2021, 04:09 PM   #45

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I would love to see OP chronicle his story walking us through his journey to the end of his new system. He could start with his pains of today and his goals of tomorrow. It could end with his total investment in time and money and honest assessment of whether objective was achieved?
Easy his RV journey ends in a condo in Aspen CO.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:37 PM   #46

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
So every couple of weeks: you start the generator, and let it run...
Problem solved!
Your right Bob, and any qualified dealer should tell you to run the Genny every month or sooner for 15 minutes. I have a question about soundproofing my Genny in my 2018 Windsport 29m. The geniuses at Thor thought it a good idea to put a loud ass generator right under the damn bed. I wish I bought the Freedom Traveler cause they are behind the front drivers tire!!! Can this be done without causing danger??? Bob
Old 07-29-2021, 04:07 PM   #47

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
The geniuses at Thor thought it a good idea to put a loud ass generator right under the damn bed. I wish I bought the Freedom Traveler cause they are behind the front drivers tire!!! Can this be done without causing danger??? Bob
The short answer is yes. MorRyde built a special steel hanger for the jack's hydraulic pump and control unit, propane tank and generator to fit just behind the left front tire, under the large left slide. The generator is actually behind the jack pump and propane compartments. The generator exhaust pipe runs around the propane tank and exits under the jack hydraulic pump. If the generator hasn't been run for several weeks, it takes 45 seconds of priming. Other than that, the location and insulation is perfect. Sitting in the recliners, you can not feel any vibration. There is some noticeable mechanical noise from the generator. If the coach is quiet, there is no exhaust noise due to the muffler and very long exhaust pipe. I don't notice the generator running when watching TV. To your point, there is no vibration or noise in the bedroom. I have run the generator continuously in the 100 F degree days, when traveling in South Texas, without a problem. We ran the generator continually for over 60+ hours during the Texas big Freeze in Fer with no problems.

The reason to move the generator and water tank to the rear of the later model plant 750 coaches was to increase usable storage space when the outside kitchen option was added.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote