Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2021, 12:33 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Connecticut
THOR #24204
I know, yet another: '15 Challenger 37gt any good" thread

Hello, folks we are considering our first class a purchase, and the queen wants the '15 Challenger 37gt we have seen recently. I have searched ALL OVER the internet for reviews, and the consensus is there are more ugly reviews than good. But I do understand most good reviews never make it to the internet.
Figured I'd join up here and hopefully get honest reports on actual experiences with this year and model.
For what its worth , the 2 most common complaints:
Steering/suspension is horrible on highways
Upholstery falling apart
Thanks in advance for any input!!!

Old 07-16-2021, 12:38 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
First: Welcome to the Forum!
I don't think that the 2015 Challengers came with a 6-speed transmission.
If that is true: I'd try looking for a newer version that has it.
That extra gear would soon prove it's worth...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 01:43 PM   #3

THOR #24204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
First: Welcome to the Forum!
I don't think that the 2015 Challengers came with a 6-speed transmission.
If that is true: I'd try looking for a newer version that has it.
That extra gear would soon prove it's worth...
I think you're right, I believe it has 5 speed. Also its only 22,000lb chassis, compared to a 24,000....
Am I in the correct forum for these questions?
Old 07-16-2021, 02:12 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
You're good...
Old 07-16-2021, 02:18 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
A '15 MH is probably built on a '14 chassis so just a 5 speed transmission. A 6 speed is nicer, but I don't know that I would make that a "must have".
A '15 is subject to the defective material problem on the seats and upholstery.
Any F53 chassis is subject to poor handling which requires at least a steering stabilizer and maybe the CHF, SUMO Springs, Trac Bars, etc.

Most any other issue will be specific to that particular MH and not to that model or manufacturer so inspect what you are contemplating on buying.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 02:58 PM   #6

Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
That defective peeling "pleather" upholstery issue would be enough of a negative for me to pass on buying unless the seller reduces the asking price by whatever reupholstering might cost. Even then, it's one more hassle I'd rather not have to deal with.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 03:03 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I forgot about the "pleather issue"...
If it has already been taken care of:
If not:
Old 07-17-2021, 01:48 PM   #8

THOR #24204
Although bad upholstery is def a concern, I'm not stuck on it.....thought there'd be more replies with mechanical issues!
Old 07-17-2021, 03:44 PM   #9

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
I would say trust your research, but at the same time you know your tolerance levels better than anyone; so it is okay to discount reviews or feedback that you deem not relevant; or that does not support your desires.

I will state this, thanks to this forum, I twice walked away from brand new units that could NOT pass PDI. It was a very hard thing to do, I had cashiers checks in hand, the look of a brand new shiny RV, but there were a few things that I didn't know to ask on my own, but with help of this forum; I was able to get the right questions. Unfortunately I got wrong answers from seller; so I had to move on. That was two years ago, and I got it right.

Hope you get the trouble-free RV you seek, and hope you are able to provide good insight on how you use
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 04:05 PM   #10

THOR #24204
I really appreciate the replies so far.....I am hoping to gain enough trust that I can make an I intelligent decision on a good used gas coach that will provide minimum headaches!
Old 07-17-2021, 06:06 PM   #11
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
We had a 2015 Challenger 37ND for 5 years. I made one suspension mod and that was to add a steering stabilizer. In 5 years our upholstery did not fall apart like others mention but then we kept it clean and conditioned using leather conditioner. We had no mechanical issues at all.

Check the dates of the tires and batteries. If the tires are over 4 years old have the seller replace them. View the maintenance records to determine if or when an alignment was done. Proper alignment does more to aid in handling than any suspension mods.

For mechanical check all hoses, belts and seals. Check the cab/chassis AC because the could develop a leak after a few years. Check the maintenance records for chassis lube history to include wheel bearings.

Keep in mind that a six year rig can have age related wear as well as use related wear.

Our 2015 was an outstanding rig.
Old 07-17-2021, 11:28 PM   #12

THOR #24204
Here's what I know so far....elderly man owns it, made 2 trips from ny to FL. Coach has 8,100 miles on it.....no longer feels up to driving it. Been stored in his dry barn for a year, has brand new batteries, tires are original. Suppose to be mint condition. Asking about 15k-20k below NADA retail.
Its 4 hours away, one way.......I may have to see it.....
I've driven many a truck in my day, one thing I cannot deal with is a wandering front end.....
Old 07-18-2021, 01:06 AM   #13

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by koosh View Post
Here's what I know so far....elderly man owns it, made 2 trips from ny to FL. Coach has 8,100 miles on it.....no longer feels up to driving it. Been stored in his dry barn for a year, has brand new batteries, tires are original. Suppose to be mint condition. Asking about 15k-20k below NADA retail.
I've driven many a truck in my day, one thing I cannot deal with is a wandering front end.....

If it really is mint and well priced you’d better hurry. In the current market the “good stuff” sells quickly. Good luck.
Old 07-18-2021, 01:12 AM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
X 2!
Old 07-18-2021, 03:50 AM   #15

THOR #13058
Quote:
Suppose to be mint condition. Asking about 15k-20k below NADA retail.
Has he sent you good quality pictures to confirm? My wife and bought one tickets to West Palm Beach from Dallas with no plan to get back if RV was less than expected. Why because I had psycho analyzed so much; we new exactly what we wanted, our sales lady took every picture I asked and more. It was flawless.

Pricing a NADA retail may be very confusing these days. The MSRP on coaches we were looking at have all gone up about $30,000. I don't know what is standard today, but getting 25% - 40% off MSRP use to be a norm at some places for brand new coaches. I almost got talked into buying a used coach just like mine that was actually $10,000 more I am so glad I did NOT listen those suggestions.

If the pictures check, I drop everything and drive to see, you should plan to buy new tires, stabilizers maybe even sumo springs etc.

One other thing, what does NADA say is trade in value? It is easy to trade a RV in today without even buying anything especially if it is in good shape.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 07-18-2021, 12:56 PM   #16

THOR #24204
The seller is elderly, no pictures, no plans to provide any either lol.
Doesn't have a cell phone. The only way to make a decision will be to make the 8hr round trip.
Sounds like even if mint, I wont be happy unless more money into new tires, springs, stabilizers etc.
Here are the numbers from NADA:

Values

Suggested
List Price
Low
Retail
Average
Retail
Base Price
$167,250
$76,000
$91,550
Mileage (8,100) (+13%)
$9,880
$11,902
Options (Add)
Total Price
$167,250
$85,880
$103,452
Old 07-18-2021, 01:20 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Look at it this way: It may well prove to have been worth the drive.
But even if it isn't: we've all been cooped up for too long anyway.
Old 07-18-2021, 02:27 PM   #18

THOR #13058
Quote:

I had a situation like that with a 2019 29VE Vista, it was in Iowa, it sounded perfect, but seller did not want to take any more pictures, it had a few. It was basically brand new, but is was 12 hrs one way from Dallas; so I decided to forgo the trip and look at other options, about a week later, I got pictures and he had did a lot of mod on the coach for things that I did not like, i.e cut holes in dashboard for some iPhone stuff; I hate iPhone LOL, I don't recall the specifics, but there was some other stuff installed that he was going to take out Then I learned he was selling due to his health as it was terminal. It was just too much for me as I was really wanting brand new anyway. Ultimately my new coach I bought came with warranty and was cheaper than the one he was selling. In today's market, that will not happen for you. I say go, plan something else along the way, but go ASAP to clear your mine and know for sure. Get a PDI checklist before you go to help you know all the things to look for

Doesn't have a cell phone. The only way to make a decision will be to make the 8hr round trip.
Sounds like even if mint, I wont be happy unless more money into new tires, springs, stabilizers etc.

Values

Suggested
List Price
Low
Retail
Average
Retail
Base Price
$167,250
$76,000
$91,550
Mileage (8,100) (+13%)
$9,880
$11,902
Options (Add)
Total Price
$167,250
$85,880
$103,452
Maybe it is me but I can't translate which numbers line up with what? Is Low Retail $167k?

[Optional Reading]
If it makes you feels better, my wife and I drove 5 hours to a dealer South of Houston TX to see a 2019 Thor 27B that was flawless based on pictures on their website. The price was right; so we were just gonna eyeball it before doing that non refundable deposit thing.

We left Dallas about 4:00 AM Get there about 9:00 AM. When we get there they had coach cleaned up and polished and looked perfect on a RV Port surrounding my real Palm Trees . First thing I did was open the Battery compartment and it was SUPER CLEAN; I was so excited because this was going to be it!!! Then we go inside, it is crispy cool as both ACs were running (it was about 90 degrees plus that morning and very humid; so that coach felt very good. Then my wife says, this is not the coach She correctly points out it was NOT the Cherry interior model we had looked at online. Salesman looks at me and says it the SKU# I gave him, I am thinking it can't be; so I look at sticker on the glass and sure enough it is a different SKU# than I gave him. I show salesman emails with the SKU# I gave him; so he say she needs to go check 20 minutes later he comes back and says the keys he pulled had the SKU# I gave him, but that the Sticker on windows was wrong, and that they must have made mistake with the online pictures

So I calmly say, ok; so it is the wrong coach where is the right one? 30 minutes later he comes back and says that it was being serviced and they could not show it Then I warmed up a little and said we drove 5 hours to see, and now you telling us we can't see? He said we could come back next week, or they would sell us a better deal on the one that we were in. ( the latter was intriguing, but I told him, if we can't see the other coach now; we are heading back to Dallas and I was walking while I was talking. By the time we get to our car they said they could take us to the back to see the RV, but it was not in running condition? So we hop on his cart and he takes us all the way to the back and there it is, the worst coach of any year model I had ever seen on any dealer's lot!!! Two tires were flat, compartment knobs/buttons were rusted, batteries were all dead, inside was worst, cabinet doors, pantry you name it was not only broken but busted where you wonder how it could even be repaired. It was a hot mess, I looked at the salesman and said thank you, we went home. That trip back home was when we decided to move on to other options and actually the last day we have been inside a Thor Motor Coach Windsport/Hurricane. We gave up on Thor Motor Coach and the 27Bs But for OP, I am glad we went
Old 07-18-2021, 02:31 PM   #19

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:

Values

Suggested

List Price

Low

Retail

Average

Retail

Base Price

$167,250

$76,000

$91,550

Mileage (8,100) (+13%)

$9,880

$11,902

Options (Add)

Total Price

$167,250

$85,880

$103,452

Sounds to me like you’re trying to talk yourself out of going to look. EVERY RV needs money spent on it! I’d replace the tires almost for sure but that’s just a maintenance expense, not a defect with the coach. You won’t know about the ride or handling until you try it and certainly most people drive them stock without complaint. As others have said it’s likely not going to be perfect given it’s age and that it’s been sitting but if it’s below market price what do you expect? Assuming the seller is not a fool there is a reason it’s priced like it is and also that it isn’t sold yet. If he won’t even be bothered to take or send photos he can’t be a very motivated fellow. Still, there is no substitute for doing your own inspection and you can’t do that here. Good luck.
Old 07-18-2021, 04:38 PM   #20

THOR #24204
Here's my final thought, (unless I go to see it)....
Seems to me a 2015 is not that old an rv....seems to me if only 8000 miles on it, it should be pristine condition....but it REALLY seems to me, being this new, and very little use, there SHOULD be no steering/suspension issues! That's just me......no doubt im wrong, but I'm not a Rockefeller, so one would think it's about time these coaches should be fine without changing factory suspension & steering parts....maybe other brands are better, hence all my questions.
Thanks to everyone.