Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-05-2021, 03:44 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
Liquid springs opinions

Does anyone have any experience with liquid springs? I am wondering how they compare to an air suspension.

Old 12-05-2021, 03:56 AM   #2

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campnjoe View Post
Does anyone have any experience with liquid springs? I am wondering how they compare to an air suspension.
On what??
Go to the "user CP" in the header bar then to "edit signature" by adding your year, make, model, chassis & any other information about your rv that may help others answer your future questions, then drop down to "save changes".
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 03:58 AM   #3

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I don't have any children left to sell to afford something like that... But I have heard nothing but rave reviews.
Old 12-05-2021, 04:45 AM   #4

THOR #19102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
I don't have any children left to sell to afford something like that... But I have heard nothing but rave reviews.
Yeah it's a pretty hefty price tag. I am just wondering if it's worth it.
Old 12-05-2021, 02:18 PM   #5

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Yeah it's a pretty hefty price tag. I am just wondering if it's worth it.
"Worth it" is in the eye of the beholder. Since no one knows if you are asking about putting them on a 1975 Honda Civic or a bread truck, it's hard for a participant here to answer.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 02:28 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
On what??
Go to the "user CP" in the header bar then to "edit signature" by adding your year, make, model, chassis & any other information about your rv that may help others answer your future questions, then drop down to "save changes".
FWIW signatures don’t show up when viewing the forum on an iPhone,
Old 12-05-2021, 02:28 PM   #7

THOR #19102
Sorry everyone. I thought the subject was clear. I am asking a general question. Though I would be interesed to see how you install these on a1975 Honda civic.
Old 12-05-2021, 04:21 PM   #8

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I couldn't find a value for them other than being able to make the RV
Kneel
If you ever wanted it to kneel.

I had a chance for a free set front and rear off of a low mile ambulance.
I passed.

It's a pretty expensive thing that does pretty much nothing of value.

A thought:
If the computer fails
Does it freeze up solid as if you had no springs and rips itself loose from its mounts?
Or
Does it wallow like a buffalo and throw you in the first ditch alongside your first turn?

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 04:04 AM   #9

Model: 2018 Thor Challenger 37FH
THOR #16271
Liquid spring supension

I too, have started to do some research for the F53 chassis. The cost is up there but cheaper then upgrading to a DP.

Our first gas coach on the Ford F53 chassis was 12 year old when we traded up to our 2018 Thor Challenger 37FH. Our hope is to RV for another 10 15 years. I just retired and my wife wants to retire in three more years. Trying to determine if this type of investment will be worth it over a ten year period. We love our floor plan but hate the ride.
Old 12-13-2021, 09:47 PM   #10

THOR #19102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe O View Post
I too, have started to do some research for the F53 chassis. The cost is up there but cheaper then upgrading to a DP.

Our first gas coach on the Ford F53 chassis was 12 year old when we traded up to our 2018 Thor Challenger 37FH. Our hope is to RV for another 10 15 years. I just retired and my wife wants to retire in three more years. Trying to determine if this type of investment will be worth it over a ten year period. Weove our floor plan but hate the ride.
Let me know what you find out. I have yet to talk to someone who actually owns some and I really don't want to be the first.
Old 12-14-2021, 12:07 PM   #11

THOR #16271
Liquid Springs

Liquid Spring has two Class A motorhomes at their plant in Indiana, about a 3-hour drive from home. One has just the rear suspension, the other has both front and rear suspension system. I am going to try to make an appointment to test drive the coach with both front and rear upgrades.

LS has some testimonials/videos. YouTube also has a few videos from customers who have the product installed and giving their thoughts and review. their test track video I have watched several times; watching coach frame movement and suspension movement. Same with the pre install and post install video on coach moment.

I will add a post once I find out more information or my take on the test drive.
Old 12-15-2021, 01:43 AM   #12

Model: AXIS 25.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #6051
What kind of "liquid" is used? Liquid adds weight. Too much weight equals balance and handling problems. IMHO me thinks that would not be a good thing.
Old 12-15-2021, 05:53 AM   #13

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.maslowski@comcast.net View Post
What kind of "liquid" is used? Liquid adds weight. Too much weight equals balance and handling problems. IMHO me thinks that would not be a good thing.
Based on their web page a hydraulic jack fluid or ATF maybe, but the weight of the installed system is a valid question.
And $10 to $14K installed buys a poop load of upgraded sway bars, Sumo springs, Safety Plus, Bilistein Shocks and brandy new rubber.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 04:22 PM   #14

THOR #16271
Liquid Springs

I took a test drive with their 2020 36' Fleetwood Southwind with the Liquid Springs 4-corner suspension solutions. About a 30-40 minute drive on all types of roads. The active suspension responded very quickly, in fractions of a second, to the types of road surfaces we traveled on; pot holes, expansion joints, R/R tracks and highway traffic driving. Zero sway in the turns. No vibrations in the steering wheel. No rocking or swaying in an aggressive lane change on the highway. The ride felt like I was driving our towed vehicle, a 2019 Chevy Traverse. Very smooth.

There is a YouTube video from a fire department trade show where the Liquid Spring rep explained the type of oil used, unlike mineral oil used in shocks and struts, if I am remembering correctly. in most of the blogs I have researched, most installs are from folks who tried the beefer sway bar, front and rear Sumo Springs and track bars and were not satisficed with the level of comfort from the upgrades that they were hoping for.

As always, we all have to determine what we are trying to achieve with our Class A gas coaches depending on how we want the to them and what the budget will support. My budget does not support trading up from a floor plan that we love to a used DP that may have or not have what we are looking for.
Old 12-15-2021, 07:14 PM   #15

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
The average guy trying to “upgrade” their motorhome for better comfort gets it wrong most of the time. When driving on smooth roads, practically all vehicles ride smooth already, right?

Ride improvement for comfort is needed when roads are bad, not when roads are good. And when roads are BAD, the vehicle benefits from softer suspension, not stiffer. The liquid Spring page covers that part correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidspring
LIQUIDSPRING IS A SMART SUSPENSION SYSTEM

LiquidSpring automatically and instantaneously changes the spring stiffness and damping at each individual wheel in response to road and driving conditions. When the road’s rough, the ride is soft and smooth. Should the vehicle need to make sharp turns, corners, or emergency evasive maneuvers, the suspension stiffens to provide superior stability and eliminates roll. Thanks to the on*board processor, the suspension adapts and makes adjustments without driver intervention for a fluid, seamless experience.

The general problem is that if suspension is made soft to improve ride comfort, tall vehicles will likely roll too much which drivers and passengers don’t like. And if suspension is made stiff to reduce roll, it will ride worse (harsh) on bad roads.

Simple vehicle compromises involve lowering center of gravity and increasing track width so vehicle can have soft ride and not lean excessively at same time. Short of that, companies like LiquidSpring make the suspension “Active” so a computer can make it soft on rough roads and stiff (firmer) on curves, corners, and evasive maneuvers. Sadly, I have no idea what the computer would do (what it is programmed to do) if rough road is on a curve, or if an evasive maneuver is required in a section of rough pavement with lots of pot holes. Does it make it soft or stiff?

I prefer sticking to basics so a low profile wide-track motorhome with low center of gravity can have a soft suspension for comfort and still handle curves and evasive maneuvers with ease.

P.S. — For a fraction of the cost, Ford could upgrade the F-53 motorhome chassis to full independent suspension if there was enough demand. Unfortunately, F-53 costs are kept relatively low/affordable by slightly modifying a truck chassis. No surprise many motorhomes ride like trucks.
Old 09-28-2023, 06:15 PM   #16

State: Florida
THOR #29732
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
"Worth it" is in the eye of the beholder. Since no one knows if you are asking about putting them on a 1975 Honda Civic or a bread truck, it's hard for a participant here to answer.
Hardly a rational response to the OP since this IS a Thor forum.
Old 09-28-2023, 06:23 PM   #17

THOR #29732
Quote:
Sorry everyone. I thought the subject was clear. I am asking a general question. Though I would be interesed to see how you install these on a1975 Honda civic.
Not your fault. Some commentors aren't quite here yet.
Old 09-28-2023, 06:30 PM   #18

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfmucci View Post
Hardly a rational response to the OP since this IS a Thor forum.
Perhaps some research on your part would help. Is it an E350, E450, F53, Freightliner S2 or something else? When someone asked a loose question, objective answers are easier to make when there is more complete information. On Nexus forums people ask about putting them on International chassis.

EDIT adding; oh and the bread trucks do use the above chassis.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 08:07 PM   #19

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
IMHO the rear Liquid Springs suspension is a well designed double trailing arm suspension for a solid axle. The fluid is similar to DOT 5.0 silicon brake fluid known for trapping small air bubbles if improperly poured. There are two huge fluid reservoirs and pumps running under the frame rails that are connected to the suspension cylinders which are entirely filled with fluid. The system looks much like Citroen's hydro-elastic suspension of the 1970s, but built for a solid axle. The entire rear suspension is very similar to that used on diesel pushers with air bags, where the suspension cylinders replace airbags. It looks very heavy so it could reduce your CCC. I am told the added weight is 370 lbs

Liquid Springs front suspension is very different. They use weak front elliptical leaf springs with a track bar to locate the solid axle and adds supplemental air bags to support the load. It is probably the most cost effective way to soften the front suspension.

Dana is building an independent air bag suspension that fits the Freightliner raised rail chassis. I suppose a good truck shop could modify it to a Ford chassis. I am told Dana is selling it for $19,900 freight is extra. The front suspension is rated at 20,000 lbs.

Reyco-Granning produces several independent front suspension for RVs and busses. A 10,000 lb one is currently available. Cost unknown.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 08:30 PM   #20

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
This reminds me of the $500 1985 Caprice "donks" with $15K worth of 32" fanbelt tires and chrome wheels thumpin' around the hood in ATL.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote