Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2017, 10:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Arizona
THOR #2005
Question NEW Mexico - Alamogordo to Roswell?

Asking those familiar with this part of New Mexico for comments/advice regarding driving from Alamogordo to Roswell. Google gives 2 suggested routes.

#1 US-54 E/US-70 E to US-380 E

#2 US-82 E to US-285 N to US-380 E

The routes differ by only 20 miles and/or 30 minutes, so we are open to either choice. But since we are not familiar at all with this part of NM, we would appreciate some input as to any road conditions/issues to be aware of, etc. with either way.

We will be traveling this area March 18 - 20. Thanks so much!

Eileen in AZ

Old 03-10-2017, 01:29 PM   #2

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
I can't give you current road conditions for that area since it has been about 3 years since going through there. I lived down by Alamogordo at the end of my time in the military and every few years we visit southern New Mexico.

The last time through we came out of Roswell, through Mescalero, and down to Alamogordo, which is the first route you mentioned, except going the other way. We were pulling a 39' fifth wheel and didn't have any trouble. There will be some extremely steep grades so just use low gears and follow the suggested posted speeds for those grades and you should be fine even with a gas engine. My only other suggestion would be to check forecast before heading out that day because some of those higher elevations in that area can turn to crap in a hurry even in March.

Good luck and enjoy that part of New Mexico, I know we always look forward to seeing it.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 05:16 PM   #3

THOR #2005
Joe-FL,

Thanks so much for the information! I'm sure we can pull up the steeper climbs, but we were hoping to not have a lot of them to deal with. I love driving mountain roads in a regular vehicle, but driving a big box with a little box behind it is a tad disconcerting. I'm sure we'll do fine, and will take your suggestions into serious consideration.

I've been tracking the weather in various locations in NM, and so far it seems the temps will be balmy if not warm. However I do realize that at this time of year things can change quickly. We'll for sure keep on top of weather reports so we can be prepared.

Thanks again!
Eileen in AZ
Old 03-11-2017, 02:09 PM   #4

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
neeliec, post how your drive was. I think most of the reservation area in that part of NM is Apache. If you stop along the road up there to take photos on a sunny day be aware of your surroundings. Rattle snakes are very common and they certainly seem to grow them bigger than anyplace else.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:53 PM   #5

THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
neeliec, post how your drive was. I think most of the reservation area in that part of NM is Apache. If you stop along the road up there to take photos on a sunny day be aware of your surroundings. Rattle snakes are very common and they certainly seem to grow them bigger than anyplace else.
I had to chuckle about the rattlesnake warning! We live in the high desert of southeastern Arizona, and in the 11 years that we've been here in retirement, we've had to call the local fire department a number of times to remove rattlers from our patio area.

We are very conscious of snakes and always keep any eye out when we step outside or when we are out and about in the beautiful desert. We also watch out for scorpions and other little critters that for the life of me I can't understand why they have to exist!

Will post a follow up on our drive once we get back home. Thanks again!
Old 03-13-2017, 12:25 AM   #6

Model: Challenger 37YT
State: Georgia
THOR #6681
Quote:
Originally Posted by neeliec View Post
I had to chuckle about the rattlesnake warning! We live in the high desert of southeastern Arizona, and in the 11 years that we've been here in retirement, we've had to call the local fire department a number of times to remove rattlers from our patio area.

We are very conscious of snakes and always keep any eye out when we step outside or when we are out and about in the beautiful desert. We also watch out for scorpions and other little critters that for the life of me I can't understand why they have to exist!

Will post a follow up on our drive once we get back home. Thanks again!

I agree. Why do we need anything that is poisonous. Need to go to New Zealand nothing harmful or poisonous.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:16 AM   #7

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
i drove it once at midnight, lets say i believe everything i saw on the "outer limits"
Old 03-24-2017, 02:36 AM   #8
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
NM born and raised...hoping for you that the weather is good as the mountains down there are beautiful ! Post some photos and have a great trip !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:03 PM   #9

THOR #2005
Brief follow-up on our trip: we're back home and had a safe journey except for one HUGE wind gust that sent us into the opposite lane on a 2-lane road out of Hatch NM...thank goodness there was no oncoming traffic at that moment.

We ended up taking Route #1 (as outlined in my original post) from Alamogordo to Roswell. This took us on US-54 E/US-70 E to US-380 E. The drive through the Mescalero Reservation and Ruidoso was lovely, and the climb was not an issue at all. The scenery was beautiful and parts reminded me of the part of Arizona near where I grew up. A lot of the trees and bushes were beginning to green out and the whole area was so pretty. Then we got down the other side of the mountains and there was the brown dry desert...and all that white sand!

The trip was good, but we were glad to get home. Now we're planning the next adventure!