Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2020, 01:50 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 31s
State: Florida
THOR #18965
Speed while Towing and not Towing

Hello,

We are new to RV'ing and we are wondering what speed most people go while on the highway while either towing or not towing a vehicle. We are going to go our speed but on our trip home from this weekends trip with the RV we started to discuss this.

Old 06-30-2020, 02:37 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Towing our toad we are limited to 65 mph so we usually cruise at 63 mph. On the rare occasions we travel in the MH without a toad I'll cruise up to 67 or 68 mph.

In both cases I'll push it up to 75 mph when passing or to provide separation from other vehicles.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:21 PM   #3

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Alabama
THOR #17986
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Towing our toad we are limited to 65 mph so we usually cruise at 63 mph. On the rare occasions we travel in the MH without a toad I'll cruise up to 67 or 68 mph.

In both cases I'll push it up to 75 mph when passing or to provide separation from other vehicles.
This is exactly what I do as well
Old 06-30-2020, 01:27 PM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
X3
Old 06-30-2020, 02:02 PM   #5

Model: Windsport 31s
THOR #18965
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post

When you say "limited to 65 mph" is that by local law, the ability of your coach with your toad, or suggestion by Thor?
Old 06-30-2020, 02:35 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey&Reina View Post
When you say "limited to 65 mph" is that by local law, the ability of your coach with your toad, or suggestion by Thor?
Some vehicle cannot be towed faster than 65MPH per manufacturer's requirements and owners manual instructions. That is not Thor or local law it is the TOAD setting the limit. My Jeep Grand Cherokee has no such limit.

Since we are almost retired (3 months and counting) and not in a hurry to get anywhere I limit my speed in the Accolade to 65 whether I am towing or not. Every now and again I may creep up to 68 or 70. When we had the Challenger I would limit the speed to around 60 for my own comfort and stress level.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:00 PM   #7

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I try to do the speed limit so I'm not one of those mobile chicane folks.
Of course common sense prevails, but if you don't have the talent or are skeered to do what is common amongst 200,000 poorly trained and 3,000,000 highly learned truck drivers and van delivery folk, and people in dually pickups, please find another hobby that doesn't scare you or impede others.
I'm guilty of slowing down and sometimes the rv just won't do the speed limit so I semi-understand but I don't race jet boats because I lack talent to do so. Personal Limits need to be known and traffic needs taken into account.
I've spent a double-Squat-load to get the rv where I'm comfortable driving it at speed.

Signed,
Someone who knows I have an obligation to others on the road.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:45 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I try to do the speed limit so I'm not one of those mobile chicane folks.
Of course common sense prevails, but if you don't have the talent or are skeered to do what is common amongst 200,000 poorly trained and 3,000,000 highly learned truck drivers and van delivery folk, please find another hobby that doesn't scare you or impede others.
I'm guilty of slowing down and sometimes the rv just won't do the speed limit so I semi-understand but I don't race jet boats because I lack talent to do so. Personal Limits need to be known and traffic needs taken into account.
I've spent a double-Squat-load to get the rv where I'm comfortable driving it at speed.

Signed,
Someone who thinks I have an obligation to others on the road.
I am afraid I may be one of those mobile chicane folks. Here in Texas where the speed limit is 70 mph on most US routes and 65 mph on 2 lane state highways, most Texans drive 15 to 20 mph faster than the posted speed limits. I feel uncomfortable driving my RV faster than 55-60 mph on anything but Interstates where I have room to maneuver or stop. It takes my 18,000 pound Hurricane 244 ft to stop from 60 mph on dry pavement with the anti-lock pumping away. Towing my truck, I am sure it would be longer but I am too chicken to try it. I used to road race my Fiats and Abarth, so I know what happens when a driver runs out of talent.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:03 PM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I typically drive about 67 mph towing or not. It took me several years to get used to it but now it is just comfortable relaxed driving. Of course I’ll go faster if passing or on a good two lane where I’d otherwise be holding up traffic. Most often we only travel 300 miles or so per day. What’s the hurry beyond habit?
Old 06-30-2020, 04:13 PM   #10

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
I'm an 850 and Abarth guy. A silly little 850 was one of the great loves of my life.
Moved on to Lancia beta, then Stratos, then quit before I got really stupid(an sm was calling my name... Still does). Griffins and Griffiths, ginettas. I'm 6'4", some of them were just stupid for me to have.
If I ever need a towed I figured a spitfire gt6 with a floor cut out for my seat, with a miata (or so) drive train would serve my need for:
A Towed
The little foreigners I miss
Conversion and fabrication
My' do not boldly go where 10,000 have before(sheep in a jeep)' outlook.

Damn. I hope I never need a towed.

I understand completely, the caution, I really do. But the house spouse who hasn't driven outside of the city limits in 40 years needs to know of the obligation they have, that it's not all about them and their 55mph phobias and lack of talent. This forum often correctly justifies what others glom onto as an excuse. Pretty soon you have the 52mph in a 75mph zone housespouse dictating how it's their right to drive as they see fit.

I'm not one for coddling my own shortcomings nor those of others.
If I can't maneuver, I don't play. It's a life thing with me. I don't weld things I haven't talent for, I don't dig in my coin purse for exact change when there's a line behind me, I don't pull over with a flat tire while on the one way bridge, I don't forsake others for my mere comfort or convenience. When going through somewhere dispicable, like Oklahoma city has been for 40 years of bad road, we'll take the hit upon ourselves and plan a midnight run instead of the 3pm rush.

(and if a car is on my ass whether I'm doing 80mph on the i40 or 35 in a 35 zone, I pull over.
They're gone, they're not on my ass, and it took me 20 seconds to accommodate them AND never have to see them ever again no matter who was right or wrong.)

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:31 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'm a "Low & Slow" kind of guy: 60 mph is about all the fun that I can stand... Toad, or Toadless.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:50 PM   #12

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Typically just for the speed limit with exceptions like narrow highways then it’s whatever I feel comfortable with. We mainly stick to the interstates though so 65-75. Our toad is a wrangler and it doesn’t have any speed restrictions.

Side note we have a class c so the overhead bunk has a whistle that is really noticeable around 63 to 66 range so I try to avoid that if can.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:04 PM   #13

Model: Tuscany
THOR #1808
in the bus, towing or not towing 65-66 mph.

in the expedition, its whatever the traffic is doing. limit it 75, but we run 80 plus most of time just to avoid being a hazard to navigation on the interstate..

most of time in the bus we run state hwys that are not high speed or heavy traffic.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:13 PM   #14

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
With our 41 foot bus, it could easily tow our car at 75MPH, but in California the speed limit while towing anything is 55MPH, so I cruised between 55 & 60. Being retired and RVing one should never be in a hurry. The Gemini was a different story, was never comfortable towing even at 55MPH, so we rarely towed and rented cars at destinations. Now we are between motor-homes, so for now and with covid there is very little in the way of any travel.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:39 PM   #15

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
THOR #13025
I run about 65 towing or not towing. Towing Makes no difference in what speed I go.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:56 PM   #16

Model: Ace 29.1
State: Ohio
THOR #18432
Speed on the High Way

I used to hate driving slower than anybody but I found that I travel at 60 to 65 and let everyone pass me and there is no Rush, no pressure to keep up and sooo much more relaxing plus that speed seems to be the sweet spot for fuel economy. I don’t feel worn out when I arrive anywhere, it’s great! Just change your mind set, we are retired so there isn’t the NEED to be there fast.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:57 PM   #17

THOR #15940
I try to keep at the speed limit. 70 on the interstate and the Florida Turnpike is comfortable for me, with or without the toad. Two lane roads with good shoulders I find the speed limit to be fine, but roads without shoulders sometimes the speed limit seems fast so I'm not always comfortable and if there is a dual speed limit, a lower one for trucks, I'll do that. It's typically 5 or even 10mph lower, ie 55mph cars / 45mph trucks, I'll do the 45mph.
My F150 4X4 doesn't have a speed restriction for flat tow.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:55 PM   #18

Model: Vegas 25.5
THOR #14921
55-60 when towing
60-65 when not towing
I generally stick to 60 and below and do my best to stay out of the way as I know there are a lot of impatient (we call them - impotent) people out there.

Factoid :: You could be towing as much as 5 mph over the speed limit and people will be passing you like a dog chained to a fence post. So why bother trying to accommodate all the Roger-Ramjets out there if you’re really in no hurry?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	84973D1D-6F7D-4928-B537-E73C48A9500C.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	24715  
Midlothian, TX / Gold Canyon, AZ
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:57 PM   #19

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
I drive at whatever speed feels comfortable. In Texas we have a number of highways with 85 MPH speed limits and that does not feel comfortable to this old fart. I usually keep to the slow lane and go fast enough, 60 to 65, to stay out of the way.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 03:22 AM   #20

State: Kansas
THOR #12311
Towing a toad

Our Lincoln MKX calls out 65 for max towed so we usually run 60-65 and seems to be our ACEs happy spot anyway. But solo with a tailwind I’m at speed limit.