Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-23-2023, 03:45 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Super C on the road??

Monday morning I took off on a 6-8 week trip departing SE AL heading to Tucson AZ with some stops enroute in LA and TX. Interestingly enough I saw a bunch of "super" C but all in dealerships. Thor, Renegade, Entegra, Dynamax. None on the road that I saw traveling on I-10. All the dealerships are absolutely full of every type RV that I could see. On the road I did see examples of other type RVs, just no big C.

When I got to the JBSA at Canyon Lake in TX there is a Magnitude with FWS next to me. I'm not familiar with the bigger ones floor plans but see only 1 waste hose connection. I heard some rumblings but haven't actually seen anyone there. I did look across and saw the telltale bulging cap trim about 2' from the top on the left side. Smaller bulge a few feet lower. Cant see the right side.

I'm leaving tomorrow and frankly I hope they don't come out and want to discuss RV quality.

2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 11:06 AM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
We are back= in Florida now but were up in NY and Michigan snowmobiling after the holidays. On our way back down to Florida I saw a couple Super C's but not many.

The dealer lots are all packed with inventory all over the place.... as is to be suspected with inflation.... and after manufacturers beefed up production because of COVID demand.... and now that supply chain shortages have eased somewhat.

It will be interesting to see what roads and campgrounds look like this year. I suspect some people will stay closer to home.

As fas as the Magnitude and the hookup...... the SV34 only has one set of black and grey. The bath-and-a-half models have two sets of tanks.

I try to get a look at the front cap anytime I see an Omni or Magnitude on the road. Well over 90% have the signs of the front cap mounting problem. Damn shame......

We'll be leaving for Alaska in about 3 months...... after this 15,000 miles trip and a lot of rough roads, I'll know if my fix for the front cap is permanent.
Old 02-23-2023, 11:12 AM   #3

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
We are back= in Florida now but were up in NY and Michigan snowmobiling after the holidays. On our way back down to Florida I saw a couple Super C's but not many.

The dealer lots are all packed with inventory all over the place.... as is to be suspected with inflation.... and after manufacturers beefed up production because of COVID demand.... and now that supply chain shortages have eased somewhat.

It will be interesting to see what roads and campgrounds look like this year. I suspect some people will stay closer to home.

As fas as the Magnitude and the hookup...... the SV34 only has one set of black and grey. The bath-and-a-half models have two sets of tanks.

I try to get a look at the front cap anytime I see an Omni or Magnitude on the road. Well over 90% have the signs of the front cap mounting problem. Damn shame......
Morning when ever I see any other super C I look to see what others may have with cap mounting. So far just the thor omni/magnitude. Since apparently only a small % of owners participate in forums, I wonder how many know what is developing. I base that comment on discussions I've had with people while on my trips.

How is your cap holding up or were you using it up north? And yes full dealerships is an understatement almost.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 02-23-2023, 11:27 AM   #4

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Morning when ever I see any other super C I look to see what others may have with cap mounting. So far just the thor omni/magnitude. Since apparently only a small % of owners participate in forums, I wonder how many know what is developing. I base that comment on discussions I've had with people while on my trips.

How is your cap holding up or were you using it up north? And yes full dealerships is an understatement almost.
Coach has been in my pole building up north and winterized since October. I started the front cap repairs when we got back from the Balloon Fiesta while it was still warm up north. I worked on it a little more over Xmas when we went back north for the holidays after temps went from -5F to 60F!

I still have to lay down a 6" wide strip of EternaBond tape over the roof seam after installing bolts through it over Xmas. It got warm enough I could put down some Dicor but I won't install the EternaBond until we get back north in May to get the coach.

So no miles on the fix yet but I am feeling good about it. I have over 20 bolts and nylok nut across both upper sides and the roof. I have all the inside trim back up so I'm 95% done with it.

Will still need to change the oil/filter, air filter and fuel filter and do the generator maintenace before we hit the road. I will have about 3 weeks to get everything done once we get back north. Also going to the Ford Commercial Truck Center for a state inspection and going to have them make sure the brakes, tires, etc. all look good for a 15,000 miles trip.
Old 02-23-2023, 11:35 AM   #5

THOR #22586
Quote:
Coach has been in my pole building up north and winterized since October. I started the front cap repairs when we got back from the Balloon Fiesta while it was still warm up north. I worked on it a little more over Xmas when we went back north for the holidays after temps went from -5F to 60F!

I still have to lay down a 6" wide strip of EternaBond tape over the roof seam after installing bolts through it over Xmas. It got warm enough I could put down some Dicor but I won't install the EternaBond until we get back north in May to get the coach.

So no miles on the fix yet but I am feeling good about it. I have over 20 bolts and nylok nut across both upper sides and the roof. I have all the inside trim back up so I'm 95% done with it.

Will still need to change the oil/filter, air filter and fuel filter and do the generator maintenace before we hit the road. I will have about 3 weeks to get everything done once we get back north. Also going to the Ford Commercial Truck Center for a state inspection and going to have them make sure the brakes, tires, etc. all look good for a 15,000 miles trip.
Good idea for the inspection. When I complete this trip I'll have about 15K on the clock and just over 1 year ownership so I'll be doing all the servicing before the next trip. Since it's going to be getting "warm" in SE AL, I'll do that outside work sooner than later.

I hope your cap fix lasts until you decide to sell or trade. Enjoy your trip to AK. It was a wonderful and long experience. I may go back in a year or 2. Are you doing a caravan or winging it? We did a fantasy, "Your Way" trip that had only 6 organized events in 62 days. Much cheaper and far more enjoyable than typical "pick you up at 8" in the tour busses.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 02-23-2023, 01:53 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
David have a good trip. How long will you be in Tucson. Karcher caves is south about an hour. Awesome place. I highly recommend going

We just left for a shout week trip to Carmel and Avila Beach. Lots of Jayco super c on the road but no Renegades, which is normal.

I did my oil/filter, gas filter before the trip. Yesterday was our 1 year anniversary of ownership. No regrets selling the Thor except for my lower bank acct. My 29m was a great mh and trouble free for 6 years

We drove up the cost, hwy 101, in a little rain and in some places heavy winds. Renegade handles the winds easily. Never really felt it. I would have been hurting in the 29m

Judge have a great and safe Alaska trip. Wish I was going but wife is fighting me on this trip. Maybe 2025

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 02:21 PM   #7

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
David have a good trip. How long will you be in Tucson. Karcher caves is south about an hour. Awesome place. I highly recommend going

We just left for a shout week trip to Carmel and Avila Beach. Lots of Jayco super c on the road but no Renegades, which is normal.

I did my oil/filter, gas filter before the trip. Yesterday was our 1 year anniversary of ownership. No regrets selling the Thor except for my lower bank acct. My 29m was a great mh and trouble free for 6 years

We drove up the cost, hwy 101, in a little rain and in some places heavy winds. Renegade handles the winds easily. Never really felt it. I would have been hurting in the 29m

Judge have a great and safe Alaska trip. Wish I was going but wife is fighting me on this trip. Maybe 2025

Jerry
Thanks Jerry!

I was the one fighting the wife on the Alaska trip!

I didn't want to do the trip in the coach by ourselves. A lot of remote areas and too much can go wrong when you're alone.... not just mechanically but in terms of safety. And trying to carry a gun for protection across the border is not worth it.

I agreed to the trip if we could find enough other people interested. The wife found Fantasy Tours and their Alaska Caravans. We opted for the 62 Day Alaska Your Way Tour where you are on your own to do what you like most of the time. There are a few group dinners and activities but otherwise you can choose to do your own things. It's actually 32 days in Alaska and then the rest of the time going through western Canada.

They book the campgrounds and route. They have a lead coach and a tail-gunner to make sure no one has any isues and is left behind. Then they will make recommendations of what to see vs just falling for all the same toursit traps.

David said he did the same tour and it was great. I will let you know how it goes and then maybe you can talk the wife into this type of trip up to the great white north!
Old 02-23-2023, 02:50 PM   #8

THOR #22586
Quote:
Thanks Jerry!

I didn't want to do the trip in the coach by ourselves. A lot of remote areas and too much can go wrong when you're alone.... not just mechanically but in terms of safety. And trying to carry a gun for protection across the border is not worth it.

I agreed to the trip if we could find enough other people interested. The wife found Fantasy Tours and their Alaska Caravans. We opted for the 62 Day Alaska Your Way Tour where you are on your own to do what you like most of the time. There are a few group dinners and activities but otherwise you can choose to do your own things. It's actually 32 days in Alaska and then the rest of the time going through western Canada.

They book the campgrounds and route. They have a lead coach and a tail-gunner to make sure no one has any isues and is left behind. Then they will make recommendations of what to see vs just falling for all the same toursit traps.

David said he did the same tour and it was great. I will let you know how it goes and then maybe you can talk the wife into this type of trip up to the great white north!
Chris that's the one we did. We had a great wagon master. Both he and his wife had a lot of experience for the trip and made great suggestions on things to do at the various locations. She had something like 30 years in the hospitality business and knew a lot. Great fisherwoman also. But we had our time to do as we wished. At Haines I bought a couple of pans and went to some creeks and did some panning. Got real excited till I realized I had pyrite. Fun anyway. Went into "bear country" and picked wild blueberries. Lots of berries and thankfully no bears. We booked that tour for the exact reasons you stated. But in reality, everyone goes to the same major locations and we saw the same coaches several times along the way. I suggest you get the book Milepost a couple months before going so you have an idea ahead of time of what to look for and things to do. Great trip.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 02-23-2023, 02:56 PM   #9

THOR #3156
Quote:
Thanks Jerry!

I've look at this caravan. Just hard to justify the price. When I go I think I'll be able to get a couple friends to caravan with us. My wife just doesn't like 2+ months on the road. I don't like that much time either but the experience in Alaska would be worth it
FMCA # F464385
Old 02-23-2023, 02:56 PM   #10

THOR #22586
Quote:

Jerry
Jerry I'll be in Tucson a couple weeks. I lived the 12 years and my son is still there retired from the SO. I went to the caverns 3 years ago and they are good.

Also no regrets getting rid of the omni and even though the account is a few $$$ lighter, well worth it and besides my son doesn't need all that inheritance anyway. My omni was far from a great motorhome but I won't get into that again.

Today it's off to Stockton TX, getting fuel via the TSD, will weigh this beast with new toad and Wallydock for the evening. Tomorrow to big bend area for several days.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 02-23-2023, 02:59 PM   #11

THOR #22586
Quote:
I've look at this caravan. Just hard to justify the price. When I go I think I'll be able to get a couple friends to caravan with us. My wife just doesn't like 2+ months on the road. I don't like that much time either but the experience in Alaska would be worth it
Long trip and for us it was 4 months. Took a month to wander from AL to WA, few stops on the way, and a month to get back home, same thing. After seeing the glaciers in AK, Glacier National Park, both US and Canadian, was a bust.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 02-23-2023, 03:03 PM   #12

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Chris that's the one we did. We had a great wagon master. Both he and his wife had a lot of experience for the trip and made great suggestions on things to do at the various locations. She had something like 30 years in the hospitality business and knew a lot. Great fisherwoman also. But we had our time to do as we wished. At Haines I bought a couple of pans and went to some creeks and did some panning. Got real excited till I realized I had pyrite. Fun anyway. Went into "bear country" and picked wild blueberries. Lots of berries and thankfully no bears. We booked that tour for the exact reasons you stated. But in reality, everyone goes to the same major locations and we saw the same coaches several times along the way. I suggest you get the book Milepost a couple months before going so you have an idea ahead of time of what to look for and things to do. Great trip.
I got my wife the Milepost two years ago when we booked the trip! So she has already been outlining the stuff we will want to do and see.

Thanks for the other info. The blueberry picking sounds great.... as long as the bears are out fishing!
Old 02-23-2023, 03:03 PM   #13

THOR #22586
Quote:
The your way is a good bit less that the regular trips. Not cheap but the routes and stays are made for you. You don't travel in a "train" but leave and arrive on your own timing. Within reason that is. If you go with a couple friends that is a good idea and we saw a few "groups of 2-3" doing that. One was 3 Country Coaches. Saw them 3-4 times that trip along the way.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 02-23-2023, 03:11 PM   #14

THOR #3156
Well we'll see what the future holds the next couple year. Next year yellowstone again, I really like it glacier np, then Washington and Oregon

Wife is pushing for 2 week Japan land tour finishing with 1 week Japan cruise plus flying to Alaska to see the northern lights.

So driving to Alaska might be a couple years away
FMCA # F464385
Old 02-23-2023, 05:50 PM   #15

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
I see quite a few in our travels. My biggest issues (4 years down the road) were the overhead cap and the full wall slide. There were a few others but these were the biggest. Service is impossible in the populated areas...imagine finding service with a slide failure in the desert. It's sorta funny...you see any make of a Super C anywhere and the first thing your eyes focus on is the front cap. I miss the space but the fuel savings on our very soon to happen, Wild, Wild West tour will more than pay for the camping. I'm getting almost 16 MPG with the Sprinter. But I still love this forum. All campers are built with the same stuff and the issues are all the same across the board.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 02:42 PM   #16

THOR #22586
A week later and 1400 mile down the road and I've now seen 2 "live" super C. One was an older squared off cab similar towhee Renegade Chassis is, but shorter mid 30's range. no markings I could wee. The other was I think a Renegade Valencia based on cap design and no rear window. I didn't see it in time to see any brand markings visible. Oh and one magnitude with the FWS at JBSA on Canyon Lake in TX.

Next travel day Wednesday heading to Tucson from the TX Big Bend area.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 02-26-2023, 07:36 PM   #17

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
You'll never see a purple and pink Volkswagen until you buy one...then you'll see one every block.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 10:01 AM   #18

THOR #22586
Well back home and on the return di see more various super C types. Interestingly when I was in Marana AZ there was an magnitude xg32 there but never saw the people. On my return I stopped overnight in Duson LA, near Lafayette, and the same one pulled in right after and next to me. I was only overnight and out early the next morning on my last leg home.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ