Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2022, 08:37 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34F
State: Wisconsin
THOR #26629
2016 Windsport 12V issues

I replaced my old LA batteries with AGM. 2 12V in parallel. Thought i hooked everything up right but 12 volt lights and fans run for about a minute then go off. Only way to reset is flip to store and then back to use, start the engine and reset the high amp breaker in the battery bay. But outage continues.

I have 5 load wires running to the bank and have to spit some to one positive post. post and others to the second positive post. Don't know if there is a rhythm or reason for what should go where.

Battery one has the inverter, 12 volt power, the bridge cable to the other positive, and a red line to a starter selenoid (generator?) behind the batteries.

Battery two has a red line from the converter, the chassis alternator and the other end of the bridge line.

The negative post are bridged with the main ground attached to the negative post of battery 2.

After 12V outage the inverter still works, the remote gennie start from cab works, the auto gennie start looses power and wont work. The Lippert auto levelers work (with engine running). I've checked all breakers and can't find one flipped or a fuse blown.

On shore power everything works so the converter is sending power to the 12V DC distribution panel.

Also, batteries read 13.4V on the meter and are fully charged.

Thoughts?

Old 06-28-2022, 10:20 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
I'm not sure I received what you are trying to throw out.

Are you saying that after the black out you have to flip the USE/STORE to STORE, then back to USE AND:

"start the engine and reset the high amp breaker in the battery bay."?

Is that breaker tripped or are you tripping and resetting it?

It should make no difference which + post a + lead goes to (as long as it's really a + lead).

Besides the - jumper from battery to battery you also have a + jumper from battery to battery?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 10:38 PM   #3

THOR #26629
I have to trip the high amp battery breaker several time and reset to get the 12v dc going. But only lasts a few minutes then no 12v dc.

Yes. The positives are bridged as well as the negatives.
Old 06-28-2022, 11:15 PM   #4

THOR #26629
Ok. Narrowed down the sequence. There is a pop from behind the batteries like a relay is opening. No breakers flip. It’s not the high amp breaker. Only thing that gets it to reset is plugging into shore power or starting the engine. I wait about 2 minutes then the same pop is heard and the 12v dc starts working.

Turn engine off and cycle repeats.
Old 06-28-2022, 11:25 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithandKaren View Post
I replaced my old LA batteries with AGM. 2 12V in parallel. Thought i hooked everything up right but 12 volt lights and fans run for about a minute then go off. Only way to reset is flip to store and then back to use, start the engine and reset the high amp breaker in the battery bay. But outage continues.

I have 5 load wires running to the bank and have to spit some to one positive post. post and others to the second positive post. Don't know if there is a rhythm or reason for what should go where.

Battery one has the inverter, 12 volt power, the bridge cable to the other positive, and a red line to a starter selenoid (generator?) behind the batteries.

Battery two has a red line from the converter, the chassis alternator and the other end of the bridge line.

The negative post are bridged with the main ground attached to the negative post of battery 2.

After 12V outage the inverter still works, the remote gennie start from cab works, the auto gennie start looses power and wont work. The Lippert auto levelers work (with engine running). I've checked all breakers and can't find one flipped or a fuse blown.

On shore power everything works so the converter is sending power to the 12V DC distribution panel.

Also, batteries read 13.4V on the meter and are fully charged.

Thoughts?
The short interconnect cables go in parallel; that is positive to positive and negative to negative.
All the cables from the three CB [100 (gen start), 150 or 250 (inverter) and 50 amp (stepping relay in the powercenter)] go to the positive side of the batteries. Which battery doesn't matter. There should be two other cable left; one is the chassis ground which is on the frame just behind the battery compartment. The other goes to the Trombetta relay and should also go to the positive side of the batteries. All plant 750 coaches with the outside kitchen are setup the same way.
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 11:44 PM   #6

THOR #26629
I have a Blue Sea charging relay. Could that be the source of the problem? I’m going to disconnect it and clean the contacts and see what happens.

Not sure how to troubleshoot the relay short of just replacing it.
Old 06-29-2022, 12:00 AM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
I have a Blue Sea charging relay. Could that be the source of the problem? I’m going to disconnect it and clean the contacts and see what happens.

Not sure how to troubleshoot the relay short of just replacing it.
This guy?

How is that connected in the system?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 11:28 AM   #8

THOR #26629
No. It looks like this.

https://imgur.com/a/FYOL6eJ

Going to remove it and clean contacts and see what happens.
Old 06-29-2022, 12:04 PM   #9

THOR #26629
Now that I have it out I realize this is the 250 amp inverter fuse. That would not pop and reset. I’m thinking it is the selenium behind the batteries. Going to remove everything and check the solenoid. .
Old 06-29-2022, 06:15 PM   #10

THOR #26629
Ok. Status report. BIRD is opening relay when chassis battery dips below 12.6 as it should. Started ending and let it charge the batteries. Reading 13.3 and shut it down. Watched multimeter drop to below 12.6 in about 5 minutes.

Figured FLA batteries bad so replaced with 930 CCA battery and ram engine to fully charge battery.

Turned engine off and it still slowly loses voltage over 5 minutes causing the BIRD relay to open. Then battery settles at 12.8V.

House batteries are fully charged at 13.3 with engine running and 12.9 when off.

Would a bad BIRD do this or do I have a parasitic load. All cabin equipment is off.
Old 06-29-2022, 06:37 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Ok. Status report. BIRD is opening relay when chassis battery dips below 12.6 as it should. Started ending and let it charge the batteries. Reading 13.3 and shut it down. Watched multimeter drop to below 12.6 in about 5 minutes.

Figured FLA batteries bad so replaced with 930 CCA battery and ram engine to fully charge battery.

Turned engine off and it still slowly loses voltage over 5 minutes causing the BIRD relay to open. Then battery settles at 12.8V.

House batteries are fully charged at 13.3 with engine running and 12.9 when off.

Would a bad BIRD do this or do I have a parasitic load. All cabin equipment is off.
I consider 12.8 volts to be a fully charged flooded battery. Any greater voltage is a surface charge and will gradually dissipate. My CRC tables say the maximum resting charge of a lead acid cell is 2.121667 volts. That equates to 12.73 volts for a 6 cell lead acid battery.
If you pull about 1 amp-h out of a fully charged battery and let it sit for several hours, you will a true voltage. Cell specific gravity of a fully charged battery is 1.250.
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote