Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-19-2023, 01:24 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Louisiana
THOR #31270
Backup camera

I have a 2016 axis and my backup camera has died (no signal). Checked the connections which look ok. Side cameras work fine. My question is this. Do they all work off of the same power? If not any idea which fuse it might be? I don’t see any fuse labeled for cameras

Old 12-19-2023, 01:37 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Florida
THOR #29103
Not knowing what manufacturer of camera you have, all I can tell you is that my camera, a Buyers Products purchased from eTrailer, on my Class C does NOT have a fuse between the camera and the display.
If you have access to the camera monitor's wire harness, I'd try switching the cables from the side and rear cameras and see if the rear camera works off of the side camera's cable
Old 12-19-2023, 03:25 AM   #3

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martythompson View Post
I have a 2016 axis and my backup camera has died (no signal). Checked the connections which look ok. Side cameras work fine. My question is this. Do they all work off of the same power? If not any idea which fuse it might be? I don’t see any fuse labeled for cameras
All three cameras are powered from the accessory circuit that is powered when the ignition is turned on. That power is routed from the chassis battery. After you try plugging the rear camera into one of the other camera ports. I would suggest getting on a ladder and checking for power to the camera. If you do not find power with the ignition on then either you have a ground fault, a loose ground connection. Or the wire supplying power to the camera has been damaged.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 01:56 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
The three cameras go through a switchbox/multiplexer which provides power to the cameras and feeds a video signal (and trigger) to the radio video in. If the side mirror cameras work it is not a fuse/power supply problem. Find the box and switch the BU camera to one of the side camera inputs to see if the BU camera works with that turn signal. If not, you have a BU camera/wiring issue. If it does work you may have a multiplexer issue.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 05:24 PM   #5

THOR #31270
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
The three cameras go through a switchbox/multiplexer which provides power to the cameras and feeds a video signal (and trigger) to the radio video in. If the side mirror cameras work it is not a fuse/power supply problem. Find the box and switch the BU camera to one of the side camera inputs to see if the BU camera works with that turn signal. If not, you have a BU camera/wiring issue. If it does work you may have a multiplexer issue.
Thanks. Now I have to go see how to find that box
Old 12-19-2023, 06:07 PM   #6
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Thanks. Now I have to go see how to find that box
It's under the dash on the radio side of the access hole for the Axis/Vegas I believe. It's on the opposite side for the ACE.
Old 12-19-2023, 07:31 PM   #7

THOR #31270
Found the box. It’s on the drivers side behind the speedometer area on mine. Swapped cameras as sugggested with no change. Still no signal. I don’t see any damage anywhere to the wiring and the pin is so small I am concerned about damaging it. Think I’ll try a different camera first before I start changing wires. Thanks for all the help everyone!
Old 12-19-2023, 07:42 PM   #8

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
Did you check to see if your backup lights work, on my Tuscany the back up lights are the power source for the rear camera, also that rear camera most likely is a 2 piece cable meaning there is a extension cable from camera to the head unit, find that connection and make sure it’s not corroded or unplugged.
Old 12-19-2023, 09:09 PM   #9

THOR #31270
Quote:
Originally Posted by simidrm View Post
Did you check to see if your backup lights work, on my Tuscany the back up lights are the power source for the rear camera, also that rear camera most likely is a 2 piece cable meaning there is a extension cable from camera to the head unit, find that connection and make sure it’s not corroded or unplugged.
Yessir. The backup lights work and when I put it in reverse it looks for the camera as it should. I removed the camera today and don’t see anything with any of the connections
Old 12-20-2023, 01:50 AM   #10

THOR #31287
Quote:
This^. Just had to change out my switcher for the same reason.
Old 12-23-2023, 07:16 PM   #11

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #3723
Been there, done that

Having just completed this exact repair to my 2015 Axis 24.1, I'm going to try and save you some time.

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/rvs-7...ew-camera.html

Order the 33' length cord (although you won't use it, it's now a spare)
Order the 5-pin

Access the camera connection by removing the rear most diagonally slanted panel in the bedroom cabinet, above the bed on the drivers side. You'll find the wire bundled and stuffed in behind the insulation.

After that it's pretty much remove and replace.

625 amp/hrs AGM's, 600 watts solar, Xantrex 2000 Inverter, Xantrex ProWatt Transfer w/remote switch
Bogart Engineering Controller, Surge Guard w/remote
Don_Atchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 07:54 PM   #12

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
If you have the factory installed 3rd tail light version, you can get the exact replacement from Rearview Safety (RVS) - browse their website. You can get both monitor and camera/light assembly, OR just the camera/light. Both are pricey... but it's a direct factory replacement.

When you find the wires connected in the rear of your motorhome, you might find a fried short. That's what happened to ours... replaced under warranty. If you're industrious, you might try soldering new connections if that's the problem.
Old 12-23-2023, 07:55 PM   #13

THOR #31270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Atchley View Post
Having just completed this exact repair to my 2015 Axis 24.1, I'm going to try and save you some time.

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/rvs-7...ew-camera.html

Order the 33' length cord (although you won't use it, it's now a spare)
Order the 5-pin

Access the camera connection by removing the rear most diagonally slanted panel in the bedroom cabinet, above the bed on the drivers side. You'll find the wire bundled and stuffed in behind the insulation.

After that it's pretty much remove and replace.
Unfortunately I’m not that lucky. I had ordered a new camera and cable which came in today. The problem is definitely somewhere in the wiring, probably in the slide. I do appreciate the help regardless! Access to the camera itself is very easy. Changing the video cable will present a challenge
Old 12-23-2023, 08:00 PM   #14

THOR #31270
More help please!

Good afternoon. I had ordered a new camera and cable which came in today. These two plugged into the multiplexer work fine. The new camera plugged into the old cable does not, so my problem is definitely in the old cable. Any thoughts or insights on how to replace this cable would be greatly appreciated! I can only see a few inches of the pigtail at the camera then it vanishes into the slide. Thanks for all the help to this point and Merry Christmas!
Old 12-23-2023, 08:06 PM   #15
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Good afternoon. I had ordered a new camera and cable which came in today. These two plugged into the multiplexer work fine. The new camera plugged into the old cable does not, so my problem is definitely in the old cable. Any thoughts or insights on how to replace this cable would be greatly appreciated! I can only see a few inches of the pigtail at the camera then it vanishes into the slide. Thanks for all the help to this point and Merry Christmas!
I doubt seriously that the camera cable goes through the slide.
It probably goes down the rear wall in a corner to underneath the RV, then snakes forward with all the other cables to the firewall area, then comes into the MH under the dash to the multiplexor box.
Old 12-23-2023, 08:22 PM   #16

THOR #31270
Quote:
I doubt seriously that the camera cable goes through the slide.
It probably goes down the rear wall in a corner to underneath the RV, then snakes forward with all the other cables to the firewall area, then comes into the MH under the dash to the multiplexor box.
In the axis 25.2 the camera is mounted to the back of the slide near the top and goes down inside the back wall of the slide from there. I suspect that’s part of the problem. The movement in and out of the slide. The next place I think I see it is under the bed going through the floor as you suggest.
Old 12-23-2023, 08:27 PM   #17

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
At a guess I would think the wires for the Backup camera would be routed with the wiring for taillights and clearance lights. Those wires run down the back wall and along the frame. Examine that bundle to see if you can see the "camera" wire along with the other wires. You may need to pry the edges of the split loom apart to get a look. Just be sure to tuck all the wires back in and zip tie the loom back together after you are done.

Another thought. You could just run the new cable along the ceiling to one of the cabinets are then down inside the cabinet. another thought is that cable may not be on continuous cable If there is a plug extension somewhere maybe that got disconnected.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 08:35 PM   #18

THOR #31270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
At a guess I would think the wires for the Backup camera would be routed with the wiring for taillights and clearance lights. Those wires run down the back wall and along the frame. Examine that bundle to see if you can see the "camera" wire along with the other wires. You may need to pry the edges of the split loom apart to get a look. Just be sure to tuck all the wires back in and zip tie the loom back together after you are done.

Another thought. You could just run the new cable along the ceiling to one of the cabinets are then down inside the cabinet. another thought is that cable may not be on continuous cable If there is a plug extension somewhere maybe that got disconnected.
Thanks. As much as I hate to do it running a new cable as you suggest may be my best option. Or just getting a wireless camera
Old 12-24-2023, 09:11 PM   #19

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #10520
I just replaced the BU camera cable in my 24.1 a few weeks ago. The original cable runs down the front of the MH from the instrument cluster area and back to the rear under the chassis (I couldn't even chase down all of it underneath). Decided it wasn't worth trying to re-run the cable there so decided to just run it to the back inside the MH hiding it best I could using the driver's armrest, the upper cabinets and shower. All works OK now. Good luck!
Old 12-24-2023, 09:28 PM   #20

THOR #31270
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerman View Post
I just replaced the BU camera cable in my 24.1 a few weeks ago. The original cable runs down the front of the MH from the instrument cluster area and back to the rear under the chassis (I couldn't even chase down all of it underneath). Decided it wasn't worth trying to re-run the cable there so decided to just run it to the back inside the MH hiding it best I could using the driver's armrest, the upper cabinets and shower. All works OK now. Good luck!
Thanks! My wife and I were just talking about doing something similar to this earlier. A few questions if you don’t mind. Did you remove the drivers armrest and if so how? I haven’t really looked at that yet. I have a jackknife sofa where you have a slide out. I can go under that easily enough which gets me to the bathroom. Did you go low or high in the bathroom? Any insights you can share would be greatly appreciated! Merry Christmas 🎄