Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-08-2023, 09:22 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite
State: Florida
THOR #27016
I just had the Boss installed big 10-inch screen and apple plug in. Works really well.

Old 01-09-2023, 12:56 PM   #22

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjslifeline View Post
Are you sure it’s not usable? Mine has stopped working twice because of loose wires. Accessed the wires jiggled everything, and wha-la, it works again.
Ours too.
I had suspected that to be the problem all this time, turning off out of the blue, then working again another time.

So, I finally made time to pull the dash cover, Class C Ford E450 2016 model. Wiggling the plug made it turn off or on. hmmmm

Looking at the plug into the back of the radio, the wires are gathered and zip tied with a thin little zip tie. This is within 3/4" of the plug in, then in another 1/2" there is black tape wrapped also holding the wires gathered, (think pony tail tied close to the scalp).

I cut the zip tie off and spread the wires a little, pulled on the Yellow (power), and the Black (ground) wires to add slack towards the plug in. I had noticed, when wiggling the plug of wires (left and right as it was plugged in), it never lost a speaker or camera feature, it only turned the radio off or restored power. This led me to believe it was a power connection.

I decided to not replace the radio at this time. Now mind you, I was getting to the point of thinking that the Axxera radio was a POS. and I was going to replace it.

I have yet to drive the rig on the road since my discovery, as it is stored in its under-cover parking spot, to see if the problem persists. Next trip planned for St Patrick's Day weekend/week. I have an inverter problem that came up I want to deal with it first, money-wise. It's always something!

Now, I have read how many folks don't like the Axxera radio, want a different radio, and I was too, for the unreliability until I finally looked into it. I hope I fixed it. I wonder if others don't like the Axxera for the same reason?
Ours syncs to the cell phone, it plays CD's, AM/FM radio stations, keeps time, works only with the store switch turned on, left/right turn & reverse camera work. Only caveat is the volume control is rendered useless while camera screen is on using the turn signals.

Why do you dislike the Axxera?
Old 01-09-2023, 02:58 PM   #23

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scDust View Post
Now, I have read how many folks don't like the Axxera radio, want a different radio, and I was too, for the unreliability until I finally looked into it. I hope I fixed it. I wonder if others don't like the Axxera for the same reason?
Ours syncs to the cell phone, it plays CD's, AM/FM radio stations, keeps time, works only with the store switch turned on, left/right turn & reverse camera work. Only caveat is the volume control is rendered useless while camera screen is on using the turn signals.

I have not had any issues with the radio shutting off on its own. I do not like my AXXERA AVM70LH radio for the following reasons.

1. Screen is too dim to see clearly during the day.
2. No navigation.
3. Cannot use Android Auto for navigation either. (Or, Apple car play but since I have an android phone not an issue for me.)

Honestly My ACE is a 2018 model I have had navigation in my cars since 2012. I would expect a 2018 model motor home to at least have Android Auto / Apple Car Play. I have just purchased a Kenwood DNX775RVS with RV GPS navigation. The list price from Crutchfield is currently about $1,300.00 but I got it on sale at Christmas time for just under $1,000.00. I am also installing the iDatalink Maestro RR Interface Module so I can display engine operation data as well. I am doing this instead of getting a Scan Guage. I plan to do the install as soon as the weather warms up this spring. In the meantime, I am making notes on doing the wiring hookups. Also, while I do the radio install, I am replacing most of the front dashboard 12v lighter power sockets with USB charging ports.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 06:53 PM   #24

THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
I have just purchased a Kenwood DNX775RVS with RV GPS navigation. The list price from Crutchfield is currently about $1,300.00 but I got it on sale at Christmas time for just under $1,000.00.
Camping World Still advertises the DNX775RVS radio for just under $1,000.00.

Old 01-12-2023, 01:45 AM   #25

State: Michigan
THOR #28828
I just replaced mt POS Axxera with a Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX. I also replaced the speakers. This is a great upgrade/replacement. It can control up to 3 cameras and has android auto & apple car play.
Old 04-10-2023, 01:54 PM   #26

THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scDust View Post
Add, Cuts sound off when turn signal or reverse activated. Apparently the AxxERA thinks there is a sound input from the cameras.

Old 04-10-2023, 01:57 PM   #27
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Add, Cuts sound off when turn signal or reverse activated. Apparently the AxxERA thinks there is a sound input from the cameras.
Which has easily been corrected by others with a firmware update to the radio.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 02:33 PM   #28
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Our Challenger had a mic in the rear camera. It was an advertised feature and enabled one way communication from outside in. Always had to go into camera mode and decrease the volume before traveling or the wind noise would drown out the radio when viewing the rear camera.

Originally the mic was wired into the wrong port on the back of the radio.

I posted a thread about this issue in 2014 or 2015.
Old 08-04-2023, 12:17 PM   #29

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: North Carolina
THOR #29006
Quote:
I have not had any issues with the radio shutting off on its own. I do not like my AXXERA AVM70LH radio for the following reasons.

1. Screen is too dim to see clearly during the day.
2. No navigation.
3. Cannot use Android Auto for navigation either. (Or, Apple car play but since I have an android phone not an issue for me.)

Honestly My ACE is a 2018 model I have had navigation in my cars since 2012. I would expect a 2018 model motor home to at least have Android Auto / Apple Car Play. I have just purchased a Kenwood DNX775RVS with RV GPS navigation. The list price from Crutchfield is currently about $1,300.00 but I got it on sale at Christmas time for just under $1,000.00. I am also installing the iDatalink Maestro RR Interface Module so I can display engine operation data as well. I am doing this instead of getting a Scan Guage. I plan to do the install as soon as the weather warms up this spring. In the meantime, I am making notes on doing the wiring hookups. Also, while I do the radio install, I am replacing most of the front dashboard 12v lighter power sockets with USB charging ports.
Dan,
How’s the Maestro working out for you? I’ve just replaced the Axxcera with a Kenwood head unit and would like to reconnect my steering wheel controls. I believe this is possible with the idatalink maestro unit, but I can’t find any harnesses to connect to the F-53. How’d you manage?
Old 08-04-2023, 01:25 PM   #30

THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCspuds View Post
Dan,
How’s the Maestro working out for you? I’ve just replaced the Axxcera with a Kenwood head unit and would like to reconnect my steering wheel controls. I believe this is possible with the idatalink maestro unit, but I can’t find any harnesses to connect to the F-53. How’d you manage?
Not very well I am still trying to figure out how to get it to work. However, in my case I do not have steering wheel controls to worry about. I just wanted access to the engine data.

Old 08-04-2023, 03:23 PM   #31

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
My Hurricane's rear camera DOES have a microphone attached. Works great when trying to have the DW back me into a parking space on a dark night in the rain.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 07:00 PM   #32

Model: Challenger 36FA
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #31053
Quote:
Not very well I am still trying to figure out how to get it to work. However, in my case I do not have steering wheel controls to worry about. I just wanted access to the engine data.
I just purchased a Kenwood DNR1008RVS for my 2023 Challenger 36FA and I'm hoping to enable all the steering controls but iDatalink doesn't seem to have a module for the Ford F53 chassis. Have you had any luck in connecting the OEM steering controls and/or the engine data? If you have could you please share what/how/etc. you made it work? Thanks!
Old 11-23-2023, 07:15 PM   #33

THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomD1247 View Post
I just purchased a Kenwood DNR1008RVS for my 2023 Challenger 36FA and I'm hoping to enable all the steering controls but iDatalink doesn't seem to have a module for the Ford F53 chassis. Have you had any luck in connecting the OEM steering controls and/or the engine data? If you have could you please share what/how/etc. you made it work? Thanks!
The module is universal what both you and I need is the wiring harness to make all the appropriate connections. Unfortunately, the RV market is too small for anyone to bother making the harnesses available.

I am sorry to say that I have not gotten it to work. To be honest I really have not had time to work on it either. IN my case I did not have steering wheel controls to connect I just wanted to be able to display the engine data. One of these days I'll try to contact iDatalink Maestro. The Maestro is suppose to connect to the data port to get that data. On my unit the data port is located on the searing collum.

Tags
radio, radio broken, replacement, thor, venetian