Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-28-2022, 03:56 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Venetian
State: Louisiana
THOR #25906
Axxera Replacement

The Axxera AV1014BH in my 2016 Thor Venetian is to working anymore so I'm looking to replace it... the only problem is that it is discontinued. Tried asking Thor for any ideas for a substitute and they gave me nothing... does anyone know of a good replacement?

Old 03-28-2022, 05:14 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Any double-DIN radio with a backup camera input will work, or you can do a Forum search for what others have used to replace their radios and you'll come up with dozens of results just like this one from this morning:

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...ent-30338.html
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 05:35 PM   #3

Model: 34E Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #25490
I was looking at the brand BOSS. They have an affordable unit. But just make sure that it has all the connections that you need, so do a bit or research on what you have, then match up another.
Old 03-29-2022, 01:17 AM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Well said so far. You don't want another Axxera. Double din refers to the radio dimensions, twice as tall.

I'm considering installing a radio without the camera feature and mounting a 7 or 10 inch screen on the dash connected to the camera switcher, maybe split screen.
Old 03-29-2022, 07:29 AM   #5

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
Any radio worth having will likely have at least one camera input. Just don't use it if you want.

Soundstream Reserve has a very nicely optioned 10.6" double DIN for under $500 (was only $399 preorder when I got mine). Model VRCPAA-106 (not the less featured -106F).

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-kH07Fr...RCPAA-106.html

Old 03-31-2022, 02:11 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 35M
State: Nevada
THOR #13593
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
Any radio worth having will likely have at least one camera input. Just don't use it if you want.

Soundstream Reserve has a very nicely optioned 10.6" double DIN for under $500 (was only $399 preorder when I got mine). Model VRCPAA-106 (not the less featured -106F).

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-kH07Fr...RCPAA-106.html

Howdy sportcoupe,

Are you happy with this radio you posted the link to? I have a Thor class A Hurricane and want to upgrade to a bigger screen.

Does the screen move? or is it stationary? Any problems with the dash being in the way?

Thanks,
IrnBear (Bradley)
Old 03-31-2022, 07:24 PM   #7

State: Georgia
THOR #21919
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrnBear View Post
Howdy sportcoupe,

Are you happy with this radio you posted the link to? I have a Thor class A Hurricane and want to upgrade to a bigger screen.

Does the screen move? or is it stationary? Any problems with the dash being in the way?

Thanks,
IrnBear (Bradley)
The display is 100x better than the stock 10" Axxera display. I am very happy. The screen is "floating" and adjusts up and down within it's travel range of several inches. The Crutchfield link shows that.
Old 03-31-2022, 08:48 PM   #8

Model: Chateau V25
State: California
THOR #19470
I replaced my Axxera with a Jensen CAR1000. Nice big 10" screen, connected the backup camera. I like the volume control knob instead of finding/playing with the touchscreen while driving.

https://jensenmobile.com/car1000.html
puppygeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 09:59 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #26100
The best and least expensive route is to install the Dual XDCPA11BT from Walmart. https://www.dualav.com/product/car/a...ers/xdcpa11bt/
It works with the existing Axerra Plug so it's practically plug-n-play.
Old 04-02-2022, 01:18 AM   #10

THOR #1589
That's a great idea! They have a similar unit with a CD player that appeals to me, even though the screen is smaller. I want to connect the mirror cameras to the radio and the rear camera to a dash mounted monitor.
Old 04-02-2022, 02:09 AM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdntblu View Post
The best and least expensive route is to install the Dual XDCPA11BT from Walmart. https://www.dualav.com/product/car/a...ers/xdcpa11bt/
It works with the existing Axerra Plug so it's practically plug-n-play.
Who do you think makes Axxera? If fact, until recently, the Axxera website was a sub-domain on Dualav.com.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 10:04 AM   #12
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
Try Crutchfield. Very good and knowledgeable company. They sell ALL types of radios and know everything about them. Here is a link to your model. It's no longer available (as you said) but it has links to others. I would call them and ask what they offer for a replacement. They will have everything you need I'm sure.
1-800-324-9695

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_070AV1...-AV1014BH.html
Old 04-06-2022, 06:21 PM   #13

Model: ACE 27.2
State: South Carolina
THOR #10635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedarnell View Post
The Axxera AV1014BH in my 2016 Thor Venetian is to working anymore so I'm looking to replace it... the only problem is that it is discontinued. Tried asking Thor for any ideas for a substitute and they gave me nothing... does anyone know of a good replacement?
I replaced mine in my ACE with aStinger HEIGH 10. It is fantastic. 2 yrs ago, about 800 bucks total for local car audio shop to do.
phantomrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 09:07 PM   #14

State: British Columbia
THOR #25206
I replaced mine with a Kenwood DMX7706S. Far better quality all round and 3 cameras work well. I would buy this one again. No regrets.
Old 04-07-2022, 01:55 AM   #15

State: Missouri
THOR #19360
Get anything but an Axxera. I am on my 3rd one. Only keep getting them because there is no cost due to warranty..

alajeu
Old 04-07-2022, 01:00 PM   #16

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #19918
Are you sure it’s not usable? Mine has stopped working twice because of loose wires. Accessed the wires jiggled everything and whala it works again.
Old 04-07-2022, 11:22 PM   #17

THOR #1589
Along the same salvage idea, I think there is a fuse in the back of your Axxera. Our first one lasted 5 years, and maybe just needed a fuse, but I replaced it anyway. Then there's that little hole for resetting.
Old 04-10-2022, 12:57 AM   #18

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
THOR #3559
Axxera stinks!

We replaced the Axxerra two years ago with a Kenwood DDX6706s. Works great and has better features.
Going to the beach 😎
Homer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 03:21 AM   #19
Fil

Model: AXIS 24.1
State: Oregon
THOR #28802
Alpine iLX-W650 - good upgrade/replacement for Axxera

This is a good direct replacement for the Axxera for ~$400 (several suppliers). The Axxera built in amplifier fails due to inadequate ventilation. This is a single DIN unit - fits nicely in the double DIN space. You can add a piggy-back amplifier from Alpine that fits nicely into the copious space in the dash. You will lose the DVD and HDMI input (silly for a head unit these days) BUT you gain Android Auto and Apple Car play - which is huge!

Replacement is reasonably straight forward. Electrically, cut off the Thor connector and spliced directly to the Alpine pig tail. The original Axxera pig tail has a plug that interfaces with the Thor connector. I was pleased to see that the Alpine pig-tail and the Thor wires use the same wire color coding standard. Note I was originally concerned about the camara inputs not realizing that the Thor coach uses an automatic camera switch (left/right mirrors plus rear) to select the single output supplied to the head unit. Mechanically I mounted the Alpine unit in the original metal frame used by the old head unit. I increased the ventilation by enlarging holes on the top and bottom. The Alpine unit was secured in the frame with two screws (supplied) by drilling holes in the frame to accommodate the screws. Installation into the console required nibbling some of the plastic to accommodate the screws. I reused the original bezel, but the clips were designed for the Axxera. It fits fine but is not secure. Double sided tape solves that problem. I mounted the microphone on the top of the dash by slipping the clip under the seam and routing the wire through the space behind the dash.

Begin Gripping. My next RV is going to be a Super Class C. These coach builders don't know how to build a proper. driver's compartment. Everything is on the cheap. Leave the vehicle to the vehicle builders and the coach to the coach builders.
Old 01-08-2023, 12:26 PM   #20

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fil View Post
This is a good direct replacement for the Axxera for ~$400 (several suppliers). The Axxera built in amplifier fails due to inadequate ventilation. This is a single DIN unit - fits nicely in the double DIN space. You can add a piggy-back amplifier from Alpine that fits nicely into the copious space in the dash. You will lose the DVD and HDMI input (silly for a head unit these days) BUT you gain Android Auto and Apple Car play - which is huge!

Replacement is reasonably straight forward. Electrically, cut off the Thor connector and spliced directly to the Alpine pig tail. The original Axxera pig tail has a plug that interfaces with the Thor connector. I was pleased to see that the Alpine pig-tail and the Thor wires use the same wire color coding standard. Note I was originally concerned about the camara inputs not realizing that the Thor coach uses an automatic camera switch (left/right mirrors plus rear) to select the single output supplied to the head unit. Mechanically I mounted the Alpine unit in the original metal frame used by the old head unit. I increased the ventilation by enlarging holes on the top and bottom. The Alpine unit was secured in the frame with two screws (supplied) by drilling holes in the frame to accommodate the screws. Installation into the console required nibbling some of the plastic to accommodate the screws. I reused the original bezel, but the clips were designed for the Axxera. It fits fine but is not secure. Double sided tape solves that problem. I mounted the microphone on the top of the dash by slipping the clip under the seam and routing the wire through the space behind the dash.

Begin Gripping. My next RV is going to be a Super Class C. These coach builders don't know how to build a proper. driver's compartment. Everything is on the cheap. Leave the vehicle to the vehicle builders and the coach to the coach builders.
Looks like a Double DIN unit to me.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio, radio broken, replacement, thor, venetian