Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-09-2021, 12:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
Battery Solar/Storage Switch

Hi. I have a 2017 Thor Miramar. I have a couple newbe questions.

1. If I am hooked up to solar to trickle charge my 4/each 6-volt batteries while in storage , do I need to have the use/storage switch in storage or use?

2. I also have a battery discount for the four batteries hooked into one discount switch. Does the switch need to be on to solar trickle charge my batteries?

Thank you

Old 10-09-2021, 12:28 PM   #2

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Grab your VOM and check the voltage with switches on and off
Old 10-09-2021, 02:14 PM   #3

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Your solar charging system is a totally separate system, and should NOT have been wired to the battery disconnect switch. Also, there should be a fuse for the solar close to the battery connections.

The battery disconnect is to prevent DRAIN on the batteries... not to prevent "charging". However, depends on who wired it...

Long story short... If wired CORRECTLY, the battery disconnect doesn't affect the current coming from your solar panels going into your batteries. I recommend leaving it OFF while in storage to prevent parasitic drains on your house batteries.
Old 10-09-2021, 02:23 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
The advice above is good. But i am always suspicious of aftermarket wired disconnect switches. It could be wired to also disconnect the solar output of the controller.

But your solar controller should tell you if it is charging with the disconnect switch off. Or check the voltage on the batteries after a day or so in bright sun. It should be in the mid 13s. If it is below 13 then the solar is not charging.

If it is not charging, rewire the solar input directly to the batteries. Or always keep the disconnect switch on and the use/store switch on store.

David
Old 10-09-2021, 07:50 PM   #5

Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
Thank you