Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-29-2022, 11:35 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Colorado
THOR #16308
City Water For Fresh Water Tank

We currently live in our 1999 Thor Windsport (No Slides). We filled our fresh water tank and it leaked out within a couple of days. We were told that there might be a valve we turn on or off to use city water, to where it doesn't fill the fresh water tank and just leak out again. We recently found our fresh water tank under the bedside table on the driver's side, but we didn't see anything like a valve. What we're wondering is if we hook up to city water (Our own external tank), if that will bypass the fresh water tank or not.

We have lived in our rig since October, and we have driven thirty miles to fill up 5 gal. and 1 gal. jugs about every three weeks. And in the winter time that can be a drag. If you know how or if we can bypass the fresh water tank and have running water from an outside tank, any info would be appreciated.

Old 04-30-2022, 01:13 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Our former coach was the Thor/FourWinds Infinity,[ frilly sister of the Hurricane/Windsport] floor plan 34-H.
Our coach had a separate fill connection [had a big opening for a water hose to be inserted] for the fresh tank and another one for direct hookup to a city water source.. If I remember correctly the city water and the fresh connections were outside at the left [drivers side] rear corner.. and the fresh water tank was across the rear of the coach..

Now There "should" be two one way "Check valves " at or near the junction of where the city water plumbing and the 12v water pump join.. One to prevent the city water source from filling the fresh tank and another to prevent the 12v pump from pushing water out the city hose connection.
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 01:36 AM   #3

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Have you checked with Thor for your schematics? Have you located the 12volt pump? The plumbing schematic just might answer your questions.
Old 05-02-2022, 10:54 AM   #4

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoPolyCouple View Post
We currently live in our 1999 Thor Windsport (No Slides). We filled our fresh water tank and it leaked out within a couple of days. We were told that there might be a valve we turn on or off to use city water, to where it doesn't fill the fresh water tank and just leak out again. We recently found our fresh water tank under the bedside table on the driver's side, but we didn't see anything like a valve. What we're wondering is if we hook up to city water (Our own external tank), if that will bypass the fresh water tank or not.

We have lived in our rig since October, and we have driven thirty miles to fill up 5 gal. and 1 gal. jugs about every three weeks. And in the winter time that can be a drag. If you know how or if we can bypass the fresh water tank and have running water from an outside tank, any info would be appreciated.
Tank drain valve closed?

Follow the lines and look for the wet areas
Old 05-05-2022, 11:05 PM   #5

Model: Chateau 28A
State: Arizona
THOR #25443
Our rig is some six years newer but should be very similar. City water hookup should not fill the tank so if you have access that should be fine.
Old 05-06-2022, 12:10 AM   #6

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsand View Post
... City water hookup should not fill the tank, so if you have access, that should be fine.
On ours city water did bleed through and over-flowed the fresh water onboard tank.

To solve the easiest way: I shut the valve that supplies the fresh water pump from the fresh water tank. That same valve you need to have shut when you winterize and open the auxiliary line you put into the anti-freeze jug.
We just need to re-open said valve when we rely on onboard water supply.
Old 05-06-2022, 03:13 AM   #7

THOR #25443
I was never able to get the plumbing schematics for ours but I think we must have an auto check valve to prevent city water from entering the storage tank otherwise anytime city water was used the tank would overflow. Interesting though. I'll have to look into the system for sure. No manual valve on ours that I know of.
Old 05-06-2022, 10:44 AM   #8

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
I was never able to get the plumbing schematics for ours but I think we must have an auto check valve to prevent city water from entering the storage tank otherwise anytime city water was used the tank would overflow. Interesting though. I'll have to look into the system for sure. No manual valve on ours that I know of.
I'm no expert on all the different arrangements they make in their RVs, with that said, I would have to imagine there is a valve to turn off supply to the fresh water pump.
Otherwise, what would you do to winterize the lines. Not recommended to put the RV anti-freeze into the fresh water tank when winterizing the lines.

I would locate the FW pump and trace the line back to the tank. Somewhere along that line should be a tee with 2 ways having a valve. The one should go to a long. un-connected water hose, which is the one for getting the RV anti-freeze into the system. The other valve is the cut-off from the FW tank.

You may be aware of these valves if you do your own winterizing. If you don't, ask the service person who does it for you to show you.

I've read on threads here, the check valve may have debris in it, keeping it from performing properly.

For me, it was simpler to just shut that line off, from FW tank to FW pump, than it was to start taking things apart looking for why and what.
Just saying, somebody else had mentioned it and it worked for me.

Another quirk with us is, we bring most of the fresh water for cooking & consumption with us, either in water coolers, or purchased bottled water.
We feel we have no control over the source you hook up to and quality of the water when using the "city" hook-up. So much so we bring a regular garden hose and not worry about it, that water we use for cleaning and the toilet.

It's like the old saying used about many a place: "It's a nice place to visit, just don't drink the water!"
Montezuma's revenge.... oh my!

To each their own, but I hope you figure something out, then let us know here so it may help someone else in the future.

edit: In our Outlaw, the door below the refrigerator (at one time I believe was a panel), is where we find this area for winterizing and adding RV anti-freeze, along with the valves I mentioned here.
Old 05-06-2022, 12:31 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
The "check valve" is integrated into the design of the water pump.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 06:16 PM   #10

THOR #25443
Thanks for the info Ted. I figured there must be something in the system to prevent overflows.
Old 05-06-2022, 10:40 PM   #11

THOR #25443
I did a look see on our rig and as Ted pointed out the city water is routed directly to the pump. An electric activated valve diverts the water under pressure to the coach and bypasses the the tank. So if the op can attach to city water with enough pressure to be workable the leaking tank is isolated. I would opt to fix the leak first but that's just me. I hate when stuff is broke.
Old 05-11-2022, 07:39 PM   #12

State: Texas
THOR #13374
GOING OFF EXACT SUBJECT BECAUSE I COULD FIND A THREAD: THOR AXIS 24.1 2014

Today my city water suddenly stopped flowing. I switch to tank, checked hose for kinks, no luck. went thru previous threads, but no luck there either! any ideas or links?
Old 05-11-2022, 10:06 PM   #13

THOR #25443
Did you check city water source pressure? Disconnect your hose and see if you have water there. If so probably a faulty backflow valve or pump diverter. Not much else it could be. I'm not sure if you have a manual valve and if so check it.