Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2021, 02:16 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Gemini 23tr
State: North Carolina
THOR #25315
Coach Battery replacement AGM

Hi guys new owner here of 2016 Gemini 23tr
After 1st year of ownership we have experienced our first storage and boondocking. I had trouble starting the chassis and found out we have all original chassis and coach batteries. Went with Ford chassis batteries 2 for diesel due to 20$ installation charge for taking out the seat. Seems fair since I was in for oil and filters anyway.
After much debate and research I went with east penn Duracell’s agm 92 ah 180 rca for 170 each batteries plus. I know I could of purchased regular for 100-130 but these seem pretty good for the price. My original batteries wouldn’t even run the furnace but from 10 pm to about 3-4 am so it had to be done for off grid camping. My goal is to be able to run TVs and furnace at night. I will update with next overnight in the cold.

Old 11-09-2021, 03:29 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
If you do significant dry camping so you have to rely on your coach's batteries I would encourage you to install a shunt based battery monitor. This will let you know how many amp hours of DC power you are really using.

There are several types available. On the high end is the Victron line. Their smart shunt doesn't have a display, but uses a Bluetooth enabled app on your phone to display and store amp hour data. Renogy has a good one too.

On the lower end is the QWorks battery monitor for $45 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/QWORK-Battery...2-d605505c9d1e

It is a basic battery monitor that shows amperage, voltage and cumulative amp hours used.

I replaced the OEM batteries on my new Axis with a pair of 100 Ah AGMs from Amazon made by WindyNation. They have worked well for me and allow me to go 3+ nights of dry camping and stay at or above 50% for best life.

David
Old 11-09-2021, 04:49 PM   #3

Model: Thor Gemini 23tr
State: North Carolina
THOR #25315
Looks like I need the cheaper q works 0-100volts. Definitely putting that in for the new batteries.

Tags
coach batteries agm