Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-10-2020, 03:28 PM   #1
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 33SW
State: Florida
Posts: 36
THOR #4193
Cracked Shower Skylight

Does anyone have experience with replacing a skylight?

The shower skylight is badly cracked and I need to replace it. I called Thor and was told it would be several months to get one from them due to the factory shutdown. I did get the part number (0131873) and dome dimensions (14x22x9) but I cant find one anywhere with a 9 height. When I measured the existing dome it is 7.5 above the roof, but I havent been able to find one with a dome even that tall.

The skylight with flange measures 17x25.

The inner dome extends up from the ceiling 9.

__________________
Bill & Kathy & Strider our GSD
2014 Thor Chateau 33SW, Safe-T-Plus
2011 Chevy HHR
Bill/Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 04:04 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
Posts: 3,505
THOR #6411
RVUpgrades has several that size. https://www.rvupgradestore.com/>
__________________
Jim & Roy Davis
2016 Hurricane 31S
1961 Rampside in tow
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 04:49 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
The_Breeze's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
Posts: 2,060
THOR #12189
That Rampside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
RVUpgrades has several that size. https://www.rvupgradestore.com/>
Is it this one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	23238  
__________________
The_Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 05:19 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
Posts: 2,087
THOR #13362
The standard size is 18 x 26 which fits the standard opening of 14 x 22.

Your challenge is that the standard height is 4, not 9.

Amazon has a large assortment of standard skylights for under $100.

I suggest that you call (probably next week):
Total Value RV
Elkhart, IN
866-282-4460

Their Parts Dept specializes in Thor.
They can at least provide you with verified info on your specific specs.
__________________
'17 Vegas 24.1
Fallbrook, CA
taylorbob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 05:35 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 22,091
THOR #8860
Camping World lists Skylights in their 2020 Master Catalog. You could try giving them a cal, and see if they've got what you need.
1 (800) 626 5944
__________________
"What: me worry?"
Good Sam Member 843599689
Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:16 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
Posts: 3,505
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
Is it this one?
Wrong color and engine.Click image for larger version

Name:	2002_1018_220052AA.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	23243
__________________
Jim & Roy Davis
2016 Hurricane 31S
1961 Rampside in tow
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 02:02 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
Posts: 3,352
THOR #12751
I would like to be able to find a protective cover for the shower skylight to protect it from hail and other objects.

I installed the Camco Aero-Flo Vent Covers to protect the standard vents and also to allow them to be open when it is raining. But I can't find something similar for the shower skylight.
__________________
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 02:34 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
Posts: 2,087
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I would like to be able to find a protective cover for the shower skylight to protect it from hail and other objects.

I installed the Camco Aero-Flo Vent Covers to protect the standard vents and also to allow them to be open when it is raining. But I can't find something similar for the shower skylight.

I don't believe that there exists such an animal.

Look for a MaxAire or AirExxcel cover for a 14' x 22" opening. If that is your size dome.
__________________
'17 Vegas 24.1
Fallbrook, CA
taylorbob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 04:04 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Hurricane 32n
State: Georgia
Posts: 179
THOR #2983
We replaced the original skylight when it cracked with this one from Amazon. It is lower and made of more substantial polycarbonate material.

Our 2015 skylight cracked in the first year and I patched it a couple of times with clear Gorilla tape. No problem since installing this skylight which replaces both the inner and outer domes.

https://www.amazon.com/Specialty-Rec.../dp/B00BFU6QWK
__________________
Tom Bowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 04:20 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
The_Breeze's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
Posts: 2,060
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Wrong color and engine.Attachment 23243
Sweet.
__________________
The_Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 06:03 PM   #11
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 33SW
State: Florida
Posts: 36
THOR #4193
Thanks for the suggestions. Ill call Total Value RV and if I have to Ill look into replacing the inner & outer skylights.
__________________
Bill & Kathy & Strider our GSD
2014 Thor Chateau 33SW, Safe-T-Plus
2011 Chevy HHR
Bill/Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 11:42 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Mr Sunshine's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Hurricane 27K
State: Florida
Posts: 2,647
THOR #1589
I had to replace the skylight in our prior motorhome, not because of cracking, but because crooks broke it out to enter and steal something. It was in a fenced storage area and they must have dropped a small person in through that hole to unlock the door from the inside.

That rig had an inner and an outer skylight, and I was able to measure and order both online. Easy to replace. The crooks tried to remove both tvs, but found although they were flat screen they were deep and heavy, so they left them and found nothing else of value.

I resisted the temptation to place a bear trap under the skylight while in storage, so far.
__________________
If all else fails, read the directions!!
Mr Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 02:06 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Hooligan2's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
Posts: 559
THOR #2812
Icon does custom skylights. https://www.icondirect.com/rectangle-skylights/
__________________
U.S. Coast Guard retired- 1956-1985
Pensacola, Florida
2016 Siesta 24ST
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 07:01 PM   #14
EV2
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tiburon
State: Arizona
Posts: 42
THOR #1264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
I had to replace the skylight in our prior motorhome, not because of cracking, but because crooks broke it out to enter and steal something. It was in a fenced storage area and they must have dropped a small person in through that hole to unlock the door from the inside.

That rig had an inner and an outer skylight, and I was able to measure and order both online. Easy to replace. The crooks tried to remove both tvs, but found although they were flat screen they were deep and heavy, so they left them and found nothing else of value.

I resisted the temptation to place a bear trap under the skylight while in storage, so far.
If you should decide to proceed with the bear trap, I will chip in!
__________________
EV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 07:46 PM   #15
Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin wayfarer 2bw
State: Pennsylvania
Posts: 34
THOR #8609
cracked Skylight

A good temp fix is clear gorilla outdoor tape. I used it 2 years ago and its still working.
__________________
donmacd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 11:25 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
north44ranch's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Oklahoma
Posts: 2
THOR #954
I have a Thor ACE and had to replace our skylight. This worked well for us -
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/ace...ml#post4686863
__________________
Robert Raab / Bruce Waterfield
Previously a 2010 Ford F-450 Harley Davidson and 2007 DRV Elite Suite 36RS3
Now a 2015 Thor ACE 30.1
north44ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 03:23 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
Posts: 445
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill/Kathy View Post
Does anyone have experience with replacing a skylight?

The shower skylight is badly cracked and I need to replace it. I called Thor and was told it would be several months to get one from them due to the factory shutdown. I did get the part number (0131873) and dome dimensions (14x22x9) but I cant find one anywhere with a 9 height. When I measured the existing dome it is 7.5 above the roof, but I havent been able to find one with a dome even that tall.

The skylight with flange measures 17x25.

The inner dome extends up from the ceiling 9.
I accidentally stepped thru the bathroom skylight while putting an RV cover on last Dec. on my 2018 Thor Windsport 29m. I had to wait till close to the end of Jan. to get it. The hard part is getting the screws out of the roof side and cleaning all the chalk away. I got a spray can of solvent specifically for that which will not hurt the top membrane. The inside skylight is only held in by several screws. Use a hairdryer to help get the chalk soft and scrap off, use the rolls of inch wide heavy putty style material on the underside of the skylight that contacts the roof. Camping World has it, I forget what it's called. Also comes with screws. Install new screws thru the pre-drilled holes and tighten by hand so you don't crack the lip. Then, use self-leveling chalk to cover the screw heads and the seam around the skylight. If you take your time, you will be surprised how good of a job you can do! Many You Tube vids to watch as well to give you idea's and confidence!! Good Luck; Bob
__________________
knucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 03:25 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
Posts: 445
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
I accidentally stepped thru the bathroom skylight while putting an RV cover on last Dec. on my 2018 Thor Windsport 29m. I had to wait till close to the end of Jan. to get it. The hard part is getting the screws out of the roof side and cleaning all the chalk away. I got a spray can of solvent specifically for that which will not hurt the top membrane. The inside skylight is only held in by several screws. Use a hairdryer to help get the chalk soft and scrap off, use the rolls of inch wide heavy putty style material on the underside of the skylight that contacts the roof. Camping World has it, I forget what it's called. Also comes with screws. Install new screws thru the pre-drilled holes and tighten by hand so you don't crack the lip. Then, use self-leveling chalk to cover the screw heads and the seam around the skylight. If you take your time, you will be surprised how good of a job you can do! Many You Tube vids to watch as well to give you idea's and confidence!! Good Luck; Bob
Total Value RV is the BOMB!!!!!!!
__________________
knucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:44 PM   #19
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
Posts: 11
THOR #13844
Thanks I will try also.
__________________
rbobcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2