Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-26-2022, 06:12 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan View Post
I did get the H/F jack. I tested the jack and it fits and jacks it up. (Sprinter 3500)
I checked and your tire is one inch higher than my Jayco was and your axle housing is probably smaller also every little bit makes a difference. Can the Sprinter chassis tow a car?

Old 01-26-2022, 06:29 PM   #22

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Hi Bill
I have a 2018 Thor Siesta 24SS built on a Mercedes Benz Sprinter 3500 chassis. I tow my 2014 Ford Flex 4 door with my Sprinter no problem. We use a tow dolly and put over 5,000 miles on it this past summer.

Paul
Old 01-26-2022, 06:31 PM   #23
MLP

THOR #17478
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
PROJECTFARM
did test on battery power units.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...AK2Mf0XPgFB3Gc

You'll be surprised of the good outcome and massive torque.

My sad 1/2", two generation old 18v ryobi takes mine off.

(also consider a torque multiplier just in case some ham fisted newb gets on those lugs)
I now have a torque multiplier. On my fifth wheel I purchased new tires. They did use a torque wrench, but I discovered that it was only after over torquing the nuts. Their response was that their air guns are calibrated! After I returned from a 9k mile cross country trip, I decided to check the bearings and replace the shocks that were worthless. I had to use a four foot pipe on a breaker bar to get one nut off. All others had large thread shavings when the nuts came off. All new lugs and lug nuts. I am thankful that they over torqued so that the nuts could not back off when I went across country. I never drive without loosing the nuts and torquing them myself now when a wheel has to be removed. Cars as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
Did the tire installer use the torque wrench for the final 1/2 turn or so or did he tighten them with his impact wrench and then checked the torque with the torque wrench, which is what they often do. In that case I would back the lug nuts off with a 1/2" or 3/4" breaker bar and then see what the impact wrench will do.

I can get the lug nuts off fairly easily with a 1/2" breaker bar on my Axis with 16" wheels and a torque spec of 140 ft lbs. I bet your Porter Cable impact wrench can too if they aren't too tight.

David
My observation is that most car service centers only check with a torque wrench after fully gunning the lugs nuts on. What is the probability that some are over torqued?
Old 01-26-2022, 07:05 PM   #24

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
Hi Bill
I have a 2018 Thor Siesta 24SS built on a Mercedes Benz Sprinter 3500 chassis. I tow my 2014 Ford Flex 4 door with my Sprinter no problem. We use a tow dolly and put over 5,000 miles on it this past summer.

Paul
When I looked at the tires it showed a 5,000 pound hitch and it was capable of only 4,220 pounds. Even your Ford flex empty is 4,471 to 4,839 lbs depending on the model
Old 01-27-2022, 04:16 AM   #25

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
How did you torque them back on to 450 ft lbs?
With a big torque wrench.
Old 01-27-2022, 01:19 PM   #26

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1noel View Post
With a big torque wrench.
I had to get a new one too
Old 01-27-2022, 05:36 PM   #27
MLP

THOR #17478
Something like this: https://smile.amazon.com/K-Tool-Inte...s%2C297&sr=8-4
I have one and a torque multiplier. Not that I want to do the work, but if I have no choice. I used this several times in the past. Now with the torque multiplier, I should not have to handle this beast.
Old 01-29-2022, 12:09 AM   #28

Model: Freedom Elite 24FE
State: Washington
THOR #23201
I got the Milwaukee 2767 1/2” drive impact that has 1400 ft lbs nut busting torque. What a beast! It breaks the lug nuts loose (177 ft lbs factory spec torque) without any problem. Best tool I’ve bought yet. I took a quick 8 second video but it won’t let me upload it.