Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2019, 12:01 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
First Trip of Season - the Good and Bad

Well.......took our 2018 Outlaw 29H out for the first short trip of the season to make sure everything is good to go. Some good news..... some bad news.

First the good news...... This was the first trip completely loaded down after installing new sway bars, SumoSprings and a Roadmaster steering stabilizer earlier this spring. I could not be happier! I took it for a short test drive when I completed the work and I was amazed at the difference. This was the first time with the Spyder in the garage, full fuel, propane, water and gear. All I can say is..... WOW!!!!!!

It was a dream to drive compared to the way it was from the factory. On the interstate there was no more constant movement of the steering wheel to keep her from wandering. Big rigs passed by and I could not feel them and was not blown out of my lane. It road smooth over bumps. On the back roads she was nimble. No sway or body roll. She handled more like our Silverado. It did not even feel fully loaded.

Before the upgrades I didn't thing I could drive it more than 5 or 6 hours at a time. Now I feel like I could drive it 8 - 10 hours straight.

Now the bad news......

After having it at the dealer for a long list of warranty repairs from late October through January, there were almost as many issues when I got it home as I had fixed.

One issue was water dripping on my head when driving. Over 9 months since buying her we have had heavy rain but no water in the coach we could ever find. However, after sitting in the driveway for several weeks, I would hit the road and water would start dripping on my head. Dealer said it was slide window had no seal in it from the factory. Well no sooner did we pull out of the driveway yesterday and water was dropping down my back again so that wasn't fixed.

I was furious! Had the wife get on the phone with Thor while heading to the came ground. I told her to tell them we want to bring it in to them in Indiana.

I have to say Thor Customer Service is great!!! Our warranty expires in August and Thor said they would take care of it.... but Thor Service is booked till August. At this point I don't care. Just want it fixed right..... plus anything else that goes wrong over the summer they can fix under warranty in August before it expires.

They were first going to try to get us into a closer dealer but most were scheduling in June and I wanted Thor to deal with it even if it meant waiting 2 more months.

When I got it home from the dealer's warranty work, the Levelers and hot water weren't working. I wasn't taking it back with the dealer almost 6 hours away. I was determined to fix these new issues myself.

After troubleshooting the Levelers, I ordered the Pressure Switch on Amazon and it fixed it. Contacted Thor, sent them the bad past and just got a check from Thor yesterday reimbursing me for the new part.

Thor also sent me the parts for the Girard hot water heater after troubleshooting that problem and I got that fixed as well.

I have nothing but high praise for Thor's Customer Service even though manufacturing and QC is a bit weak at times. They have always been professional, courteous and helpful every time we have contacted them.

To top it off, the wife wanted me to turn around to take a different spot in the campground..... that I wanted to take when we pulled in. Backing up I hit a rock that I did not see in the camera. Pushed in the bumper a bit and it bent the trim. I think I can straighten it out when I get home.

Even with the water leak and hitting the rock, we had a nice night. I am so pleased with the handling now, I am not as mad about those issues. From everything everyone has reported on this forum, Thor Service is great and will fix the problems right the first time. I'm not even worried if they find wood or other water damage because I'm expecting they will fix it all properly.

Old 05-04-2019, 01:20 PM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Well that’s good and bad alright! If you’ve had a roof leak for 9 months it seems likely that you also will have structural damage and probably some mold as well. Make sure that whoever fixes it doesn’t just find and seal the entry point. I’m surprised Thor is taking responsibility. On my Freedom Elite water intrusion only was warranted for 3 months. Sealing is a CONSTANT maintenance item for the owner. They don’t stress this nearly enough when you buy these things and you need to get good at it. My first RV had serious damage because I didn’t know this and I had to trade it at a huge loss. I too found Thor’s customer service to be excellent to outstanding. Good luck.
Old 05-04-2019, 01:55 PM   #3

THOR #12751
I think they are covering it because I reported the leak within the first three months. The dealer attempted to fix it but obviously didn’t.

I also had the dealer inspect the roof as part of the annual inspection required to maintain their “lifetime” warranty when they were fixing everything and the rig was till only 6 months old.

I’m trusting Thor will inspect for damage and mold. I have a complaint form to fill it and then they will give me a firm date for service. I am going to look for any other little things to have them fix too and put it on the form. I am going to make sure that I state to inspect for structural damage and mold.

The funny thing is we have had a huge amount of rain this spring. I’m If I had to guess I would think it is leaking in the cab-over area. But the over-cab bunk, wood storage area and wall all see dry and no visible signs of water anywhere.

My guess is there is a small leak and it pools up somewhere and then when we start moving it is exiting on the cab ceiling above the drivers seat.

Thor said if I took it to a closer dealer, I would pay and they would reimburse me. I would rather let Thor service deal with it to make sure it is right and have it documented with them in case I get it back and still have issues.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:32 AM   #4

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Glad Thor is taking care of you.
What is the Girard hot water part?
My hot water trips the breaker when put on 110vac.
What is it about yours?
Old 05-06-2019, 01:26 PM   #5

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scDust View Post
Glad Thor is taking care of you.
What is the Girard hot water part?
My hot water trips the breaker when put on 110vac.
What is it about yours?
Hello Rusty.....

I have the Girard GSWH-2 Tankless Water Heater. I was getting an E5 error message, which indicates the blower is not running.

The troubleshooting indicates that it is either the blower motor itself or the main control board. I had the proper voltage on the control board so it looked like the motor. Thor sent me both parts and it turned out to be the motor.

I have seen a few guys post about a similar problem to your breaker tripping or no AC operation at all. I think some of the guys reported the wiring to the water heater was the issue with wiring and poor connections. I think a couple guys posted pictures of melted wiring as a result. Might be worth a look if you can get to the area where the AC connects into the heater.

I appear to be in the lucky minority with respect to the wiring in my rig. So far I have not found a single wire nut in my 2018 Outlaw 29H. They used Wago 221 Lever-Nuts instead of traditional wire nuts. They make for a much cleaner and secure installation and make it very easy to make wiring changes if needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wago-221-Series-Lever-Wire-Connectors.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	17139