Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2023, 05:23 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29M
State: New York
THOR #11919
Windsport 29M Coach Batteries

I'm thinking about replacing the coach batteries on my 2018 Thor Windsport 29M given they are original (though admittedly no boondocking).

Upon looking at the batteries that came with, the only label/marking is "27MDP". Believe that means its a group 27 battery and based on some interweb searches MDP could mean "Marine Dual Purpose".

Not sure i have to worry about the MDP designation.

Am i correct in assuming that a typical group 27 Deep cycle battery will suffice?

Appreciate any guidance.

Thanks.

Old 05-01-2023, 05:42 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
That sounds right. Replacing the FLA batteries in my 29M with AGMs sure improved my user experience. No more watering or cleaning out the compartment due to off gassing. The AGM batteries are available at most big box, Sam's, Walmart, Cost, retailers as well as battery shops like Interstate and Batteries plus. You wont regret it.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 05:58 PM   #3

Model: Windsport 29M
State: New York
THOR #11919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
That sounds right. Replacing the FLA batteries in my 29M with AGMs sure improved my user experience. No more watering or cleaning out the compartment due to off gassing. The AGM batteries are available at most big box, Sam's, Walmart, Cost, retailers as well as battery shops like Interstate and Batteries plus. You wont regret it.
Thanks. I appreciate it. I was thinking about AGM given the location of the batteries in the 29M (ugh).
Old 05-01-2023, 06:00 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I second AGMs. But see if Group 31s will fit. They are a bit longer at 13”, but provide about 20% more amp hours.

David
Old 05-01-2023, 09:35 PM   #5

State: Texas
THOR #24216
One of my OEM FLA house batteries has gone toes up after less than two years. It was supplying a pathetic 10.7 volts yesterday after being charged, and was in a less than easily accessible location, so it’s AGM time for us as well.
Old 05-02-2023, 10:47 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Michigan
THOR #17235
I replaced the original FLA group 27 batteries with group 31 AGMs in my 2020 29m last summer. It was VERY difficult getting the group 31s into the battery compartment because of their slightly larger size, but I did get them in. I will worry about removal if and when that is necessary. I am happy that I don’t have to check water levels now!