Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2019, 11:43 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Ontario
THOR #14043
Furnace and Fridge not working

Hi,

We have bought a Hurricane 29M end of October last year. Went on our first trip last week and everything worked great for four days and then the furnace and fridge stop working (furnace blower works only and fridge no power). Everything else seems to be working including the stove and all the lights with 50 amp plug in or not. I have check the fuses and they all seems to be good. Any suggestions what to look for would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Richard

Old 04-21-2019, 12:50 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Welcome to the forum. I am not familiar with your coach specifically but we can ask some basic questions to get started:
Firstly, is your fridge an RV (propane/electric) or a residential model? I am going to assume its an RV fridge so it can run on either propane or shore power (AC). Does it fail to work on either propane or shore power (AC) or both? Make sure it is set for Auto mode so it will automatically default to shore power when hooked up; and when off shore power it should fall back to propane operation automatically. Just so you know you should have your use/store switch in the use position when using the fridge as the 12vdc systems typically also need to be on.
Regarding the furnace.... The fan runs OK, but do you hear it trying to spark ignite the propane? Does your propane stove light and work properly? If yes that means gas is available in the tank; its turned on and gas lines are purged of any air. After three failed attempts to light the furnace may go into lock out mode and may need to be turned off and on again to reset it; then it will try again when there is a call for heat from the thermostat.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:00 PM   #3

THOR #14043
Tank you.

Yes it's an RV fridge and there is nothing no lights in or out. We push on the power button and nothing. For the furnace I do not hear it spark and we have tried multiple time to turn the furnace off and on and still nothing only the fan. And yes the propane stove light and work properly.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:56 PM   #4

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
What about the "use/store" switch, is it in the "use" position, turned on?
Old 04-21-2019, 02:06 PM   #5

THOR #14043
Yes it's turned on.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:28 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
If your stove top works, then you know your propane supply is good. If you can’t hear the furnace attempt to light, then it probably is the 12v electrical supply to these units. If so, plugging it in the shore power or turning on the generator won’t help the furnace but it should get the fridge working because it works on both propane and shore power. The furnace only works on propane and it takes 12v to run. Does your hot water heater work? That should work on shore power. I don’t know the 12v electrical setup on your particular coach, but I would check the 12v fuses that control your fridge and furnace, if you have good propane and no attempt of the furnace to light, it has to be the 12v supply to the furnace and fridge.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:41 PM   #7

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
OK, so no lights at all on the fridge sounds like its not getting 12vdc at all even with use/store in the on position. Just to confirm though when not on shore power and use/store is on do the coach DC lights work OK? Just making sure the coach batteries are connecting to the fuse panel OK.
If as you say there are no tripped or blown fuses in your DC power panel then typically there are fuse(s) located in the outside fridge compartment which can be tested but that requires opening up the exterior panel. I would suggest though, since you are under warrantee and depending on your level of electrical experience you may want to rely on the Dealer for your repairs here. Otherwise I would suggest obtaining your fridge manual on line (if the Dealer did not provide it) and read through the troubleshooting section. Obtain a digital multimeter and follow the troubleshooting manual is probably the safest approach.

On the furnace (fan runs so likely 12vdc is good there);if it is not trying to spark at all (even after resetting/power cycling after a lock out condition) then it is possible that the sail switch is not closing properly or there was an over heat condition that has opened up the high limit sensor. If either of these switches fails to close correctly the furnace control board will not open the gas valve or try to spark/ignite the propane. It is a safety situation. Of course there could be other issues as simple as a wire has popped off somewhere in the furnace control system. You could open up the furnace exterior and look for obvious wiring issues......or again depending on your level of electrical expertise, fall back on Dealer warrantee repair. The manual for your furnace should also have wiring diagrams and troubleshooting procedures to help you.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:41 PM   #8

THOR #14043
It was working but I am not sure if it his still working. I have check the fuse for the appliances and it look good and I even change it for another and nothing. I also think that's it's the 12V supply but I'm not sure what else I can check.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:46 PM   #9

THOR #1765
If you have a volt meter, you can check and see if you have 12v at the fuse or at the fridge.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:07 PM   #10

THOR #14043
Yes I have a volt meter and I have voltage at the fuse.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:10 PM   #11

THOR #1765
Do you have voltage at the fridge on/off switch?
Old 04-21-2019, 03:15 PM   #12

THOR #14043
Inside the coach or outside.
Old 04-21-2019, 04:03 PM   #13

THOR #14043
I am trying to eliminate the obvious because the dealer is about 5 hours from home. Also we just came back from Thor Service Center. That was about 11 hours. Just was not lucky enough for it to append there.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:06 PM   #14

THOR #1765
Sorry. I’ve been out. If you have power at the fuse (and beyond it) and do not have 12V power at the fridge, then - by process of elimination- you have a bad line or a break in the line from the fuse to the fridge. - or a bad ground. To test that this is the problem, you can splice in a line from any good 12v line and hook it to the fridge and see if that works. Or just run a temp line directly from your coach battery (with a fuse between the battery and the fridge) and see if it works. If this turns out to be the issue and the fridge and furnace work on your temp line, then the easiest fix is to run a permanent line either directly from the battery (with a separate fuse) or from the fuse box - whichever is easier.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:51 AM   #15

THOR #14043
Found the problem. It was a bad connection in the wiring harness under the drawer in the kitchen. Thank you all for your help. Now the fridge and furnace are working.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:34 PM   #16

THOR #1765
Glad you found it. These RV s are more like a boat than a house. The “shake, rattle and role” going down the road and eventually things shake loose or break. Systematically working thru the problem will often allow you to solve it. And now you know a whole lot more about your coach than you did before you started.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:06 PM   #17

THOR #14043
For sure. Thank you very much for your help.

Have a nice day.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:49 AM   #18

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #13282
Open electrical circuit, pull the fridge and trace it.