Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-27-2022, 10:32 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Back to the topic at hand. If the RVIA did more than lobby Congress to keep the government out of the RV industry maybe quality would improve.

Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 10:41 PM   #22

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
What in your opinion is
Rvia?

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 10:42 PM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Back to the topic at hand. If the RVIA did more than lobby Congress to keep the government out of the RV industry maybe quality would improve.

Do you remember or know that you were the 1st person to tell me to buy a Winnebago?

Way back when, when I was new to this site, I kept running into quality issues at every corner at TMC RVs I was looking at. Then one day, and I prolly can find the post you told me "to go buy a Winnebago". At the time it was a nonstarter because I thought they were too expensive (about $20k more. But as time went by several others on this same site would say similar. As fate would have it; low and behold a Winnebago fell in my lap.

But I distinctly remember you for what ever reason; giving me that advise. I can take the time now to say Thank You
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 12:25 PM   #24

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
RIVA's one job is to make sure the manufacturer follows the rules for running the electric, water, gas and other safety related regulations, not how the carpet is installed or the cabinet doors are installed. It's all voluntary. It's like ul approved, many manufacturers want the seal of approval on their products, same with RIVA, that black emblem installed by the door
Old 06-28-2022, 12:35 PM   #25

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
My rvia sticker for Thor has 666 in it.
So does my license plate.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 12:58 PM   #26

THOR #13058
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Do you remember or know that you were the 1st person to tell me to buy a Winnebago?

Way back when, when I was new to this site, I kept running into quality issues at every corner at TMC RVs I was looking at. Then one day, and I prolly can find the post you told me "to go buy a Winnebago". At the time it was a nonstarter because I thought they were too expensive (about $20k more. But as time went by several others on this same site would say similar. As fate would have it; low and behold a Winnebago fell in my lap.

But I distinctly remember you for what ever reason; giving me that advise. I can take the time now to say Thank You
I was actually able to find the post. This response was due to Quality issues I had noted on a brand new 2018 ACE 29.3. I created a Poll Oct 2018. I didn't know many folks back then. I was stuck in that mode of the glitter of buying a new RV versus the tendency to ignore what I see as a matter of convenience and perhaps complain later.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=18

Skip the coach and buy a Winnebago or Fleetwood that comes closest to fitting your needs. You'll thank me in the long run.
I was taken back with how many Thor owners were steering me away. Maybe the goal was to keep me off the Thor forum Whatever the reason(s); I think the impact is/was I may have over compensated for Quality in my expectations. I think Quality is owned by the Mfg. All the relevant MFGs conform to RVIA. The fact that one may recommend one RV over the other says it is possible for Consumer to decide. Quality can't simply be legislated into a product. Dealers don't have to sell inferior products. Of all the Thor coaches I reviewed; none of the showstopper issues were Mfg related (rather issues that occurred at Dealer's lot) For anything that was a Mfg defect, they were all fixed. I do concede that some Mfg defects may not be found until years later, or after the warranty, but they normally do not rise to be a serious issue.

Nonetheless, I do feel thankful and appreciative to all of those that steered me away to find another Mfg for what I sought. The statement made that "You'll thank me in the end" rings loud and true, because in the end game, I got it right and I am very happy.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 06-28-2022, 01:03 PM   #27

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
RIVA's one job is to make sure the manufacturer follows the rules for running the electric, water, gas and other safety related regulations, not how the carpet is installed or the cabinet doors are installed. It's all voluntary. It's like ul approved, many manufacturers want the seal of approval on their products, same with RIVA, that black emblem installed by the door
Exactly. https://familyrvingmag.com/2002/12/01/what-is-rvia/

RVIA exists to help manufacturers comply with standards in plumbing, electrical, gas, and other systems to see that they are installed properly. In no way does the RVIA inspector become involved with quality-control issues not covered by the codes. In other words, the inspector is not checking to be sure cabinet doors fit properly, that an engine runs, or that the carpet is stretched tightly. It is up to the individual manufacturer to perform quality-control inspections to keep product quality high. RVIA does not become involved with warranty arguments. So, do not call RVIA with complaints that something does not work in your coach. However, if you discover serious defects that are obviously covered by code — for example, a copper LP-gas line that runs for a distance unsupported or poor and improper wiring — then, yes, I think RVIA would like to know about it.