Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-20-2022, 05:07 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2021 Thor Omni BH 35
State: Arizona
THOR #7398
Girard tankless water heater no power

I have had this water heater working on my last trip last year. It's been at the dealer for 4 months for a different issue. When I finally got it back last month we decided to take it on a short weekend trip not far from the house to test to see if they actually fixed the issue (heater ducts). Went to turn on the water heater and I am getting no power to the panel inside the bathroom. I have propane and power but not to the panel. Checked the fuse box, and that is not blown. Other than checking the actual fuse on the tank, does anyone have any other ideas??

Old 03-20-2022, 05:19 PM   #2

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Alberta
THOR #22490
I don’t have a tankless system, but just a thought, is there a switch on the heater itself that could have been turned off?

2015 Thor Windsport 34F = empty pockets
2010 Kia Soul
REME veteran
Trophy1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 05:53 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Yes, there is a switch. Go outside and open the water heater panel just in front of the RR wheel well. The on/off switch is inside that compartment. It must be on to power up the inside control panel.

The dealer probably flipped it off for some reason.

BTW, I am a little surprised that a 2016 Axis has the Girard. Thought they only started installing them in 2018+ and may have stopped in 2022.

David
Old 03-21-2022, 01:06 AM   #4

THOR #7398
Yes the switch is turned on when I opened the panel to look at the circuit board there is a green steady LED light that is on. I am guessing either it's telling me it's on or I have a problem? Apparently I gave a problem because the control panel in the bathroom is still not on. [emoji58]
Old 03-21-2022, 10:30 AM   #5

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex55 View Post
Yes the switch is turned on when I opened the panel to look at the circuit board there is a green steady LED light that is on. I am guessing either it's telling me it's on or I have a problem? Apparently I gave a problem because the control panel in the bathroom is still not on. [emoji58]
I would cycle the power on the unit (turn the switch outside off and back on) and then push the power button on the control panel.

If it still does not power on, I would pull it from the wall and check the wires going into the control panel. The wiring harness to the panel is short and they probably used wire nuts to connect it to a longer harness out to the water heater.

Then I would look for that wiring harness at the outside unit and look for where it plugs into the main board. I would pull the connector and reseat it.

You also want to check the LED at the mainboard for a possible error code. Here is some information from the Service Manual that may help...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 6.27.08 AM.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	36541   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 6.27.29 AM.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	36542  

Old 03-21-2022, 07:22 PM   #6

THOR #7398
Thanks Judge! I do have a green light at the board. I need to check the voltage to see if I am getting anything there. I will probably pull the face plate off the control panel to see whats going on there. I have a call in to Girard to see what I need to do next. Hope it's not a control boars issue.[emoji31]
Old 03-21-2022, 11:52 PM   #7

THOR #7398
So I checked the circuit panel and had power there. Went behind the tank to find the blue power wires and found one of the cut. I had some duct work done by La Mesa RV in Phoenix. They did a crappy job of fixing my heat ducts and reconnected the sink pipes wrong, now they leak. But, in the process of doing all of that, they cut the power wire and didn't bother to fix it! [emoji849] Soooooo, I fixed the wire and now have hot water! Thanks Judge for the info, these I will keep.
Old 03-22-2022, 01:39 AM   #8

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
That is exactly why I do it myself.

David
Old 03-22-2022, 10:35 AM   #9

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
The old saying.... If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself...... applies in the RV indsutry!