Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-22-2020, 07:32 PM   #1
BC1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 24HE
State: New York
THOR #20090
Got My FlexArmor Roof!!

Hi all,

Picked up my RV a couple of weeks ago from having the FlexArmor roof put on. Went to the Massachusetts location done by New England RV Roof. The entire process from beginning to end was seamless. I live in NY so I dropped the RV off an took a rental car back home (I kept it instead of doing 2 one-way rentals as it was cheaper that way). Drove the car back and picked up the RV. I dropped off on Monday and it was ready Thurs afternoon so I picked it up on Friday. Looks great and very nice not to have to worry about roof leaks any longer. Completely satisfied with the job they did, customer service & price.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Take care, Beth

Old 11-22-2020, 07:36 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
What sort of warranty comes with it?
Where are they located?
Old 11-22-2020, 07:51 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
No pics?

Cost?

Was it leaking before?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:57 PM   #4

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Congratulations! I have been thinking of going this route.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:50 PM   #5
BC1

THOR #20090
I was being lazy w/pics, I’ll take the after pics and post tomorrow.

They are located in Plainville, MA right off the highway so it was a very easy drive for me (just under 3 hours).

Warranty is lifetime of RV, however, you do have to bring it back to an authorized FlexArmor dealer if you need to replace anything on the roof like skylight, vent, etc. They do put new vent covers on when the put the FlexArmor on. You still obviously have to keep up with sealant on exterior windows, trim, etc. but at least won't have to worry about roof leak.

My MH is under 25' so it's small and the total cost with tax was well under $4,000.

I have only had the RV since end of Aug (bought w/ 3k miles on it) and it did have interior evidence of minor leak over cab which seemed dried up and was supposedly fixed by Camping World (had some hard rains since I bought and didn’t leak) but I didn’t want to wait for it to start up again because I have been there and done that with MH I bought brand new in 2009. When Jim from NE RV Roof walked the roof when I dropped it off he said he was pretty sure it had water under it in a few spots. He confirmed that was true when I picked it up (I guess it was under the TPO but hadn’t made its way inside). I was not charged for any repair as I guess it just required the normal prep work. I might have been skeptical/surprised if I was told there was water under it had I not already know how many RVs (even new ones) leak.

Take care, Beth
Old 11-22-2020, 09:57 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Thanks for the extra info!
It looks as if we have some shopping to do...
Old 11-22-2020, 10:12 PM   #7
BC1

THOR #20090
I have to tell you that the piece of mind is worth its weight in gold. After the nightmare with the brand new one I bought in 2009 I probably never would have bought another RV if I didn't know that FlexArmor was an option. I spent so much time worrying about the other leak and lost a ton of money when I sold that one because of it. Fleetwood did me right and totally stepped up to the plate by picking it up from my driveway in NY, took it to Indiana, rebuilt the cab over area, and returned it to me in NY BUT the title showed rebuilt ARRRGGGHH so it was a hard sell. I couldn't even fully enjoy that one when I had it - had to keep tarps with me just in case, couldn't sleep when it was raining hard while camping, etc. So PHEW is all I can say now. A huge weight off my shoulders.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:56 AM   #8

State: Washington
THOR #6433
I have looked into doing this as well for ours. We had a leak right after getting ours and this seems like a better option versus climbing up on the roof all the time. Let us all know how you like it:
Old 11-24-2020, 10:26 PM   #9
BC1

THOR #20090
Pics

Including some pics. Please excuse all the tree crap on my pretty new roof. I included one of the side back and side front showing how far it comes down on front and back. It's hard to see on the front one but it ends about the middle of the window up at the roof line.

I also included a before pic.

Sorry don't have time to figure out/or search forum for how to position pics properly but if someone wants to let me know for next time I'll make them prettier LOL.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	After 1.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	27313   Click image for larger version

Name:	After 4.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	27314  

Name:	After 5.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	27315   Click image for larger version

Name:	After 3.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	27316  

Old 11-24-2020, 10:50 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Now THAT is outstanding!!
Old 11-24-2020, 11:10 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Am I wrong or is it rhino lining for your roof? Do they take off the factory installed roof material? How much does it weigh?
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:24 PM   #12
BC1

THOR #20090
I have heard people compare it to Rhino Liner and based on my limited Rhino Liner experience it seems similar. Weight wasn't a concern for me but I know it was for others. The weight is out there somewhere on Google. I don't know all the specifics on how they do it but there are informative videos on the whole process that I watched before I decided to go with it.

Take care, Beth
Old 11-25-2020, 01:04 AM   #13

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Thanks for the extra info!
It looks as if we have some shopping to do...

Bob, your Tiffin would have a single piece fiberglass roof, all you really have to worry about making sure all the caulking and seals are kept in good condition. We had our Tiffin Bus for over twelve years, never had any kind of roof leak.
Old 11-25-2020, 01:09 AM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I knew about the roof. I was wondering if the Flex Armor would pick up on the caulking...
But it's good to know that it has the potential for a long life and a happy owner!
Old 11-25-2020, 02:19 AM   #15
BC1

THOR #20090
My favorite part is that there is no maintenance except to clean it and inspect periodically. I think I can handle that.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:21 AM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Shoot: even I could handle that also!
Old 11-25-2020, 03:01 AM   #17

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Inspect for what?
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:01 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
. Klingons...
Anything stuck up there, or otherwise out of the ordinary.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1606312302
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Worf.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	27323  
Old 11-25-2020, 02:23 PM   #19

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
As much as I like this approach and have thought about it myself, I don't think it is the be-all end-all to preventing leaks after seeing the pictures.

I would have thought that they would have done something different and better than Dicor around fans, vents, A/C, etc. This will still be an area that can... and likely will..... leak at some point. After seeing the pictures I am actually a little disappointed.

Unless you put a tear in a TPO roof, it is not the roof membrane that is going to be leaking. What will be leaking is any area that needs sealed like a vent, fan, A/C unit, etc. That is why the OEM's give you a 90-day water leak warranty. They know that the areas sealed with Dicor are going to need regular attention. In their minds that attention is inspection and re-applying Dicor every 90-days as needed.... hence the 90-Day Leak Warranty.

I do like what they did for sealing around the perimeter of the roof and the roof ladder mounts but when I see the vent, fan and antenna being sealed with gobs of Dicor I can't help to think that a roof leak will still be a real possibility and that regular inspection and maintenance still applies.

I'm not sure it is worth the $3500- $4000. If I needed a new roof because of storm damage, etc., then I would go this route for sure but I can't see replacing a good TPO roof with it if they still use Dicor to seal all of the openings in the roof itself.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer......
Old 11-25-2020, 04:44 PM   #20

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
And I never have understood the aversion to dicor anyway. It only takes a few minutes a couple of times a year and it “encourages” you to get up on the roof to look around and do other recommended maintenance - always a good practice.