Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2023, 06:10 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Chateau 22E
State: Ohio
THOR #29324
2020 Thor Chateau Brake Light Issue

Hi all,

Just found this forum, and thought I'd give it a try. I have a 2020 Thor Chateau 22-E, purchased new, have a carport it resides in when not in use, so I like to think it's fairly well cared for. I was surprised to find, when I went out to start it over winter, the right tail/brake light is not lit up when I turn on the lights, or open the doors. However, it does light up bright when the four-way/hazard lights are turned on. I've managed to squeeze in under the dash, pop the cap, and run continuity check on all fuses, and they are fine. Being an LED light assy, I am surprised they are already not working after only 3 years of ownership. Is my last resort to break the rubber seal, and unscrew the cover lens to see what is going on? I'm hesitant to do that, because I fear water getting in later. Any ideas why I have partial lights? I'm wondering if mice got in and chewed wiring maybe?

Old 03-29-2023, 08:57 PM   #2

Model: Four Winds
State: Colorado
THOR #17966
Wouldn't the hazard light be the same as the brake light? Try switching the bulb from the side that works.

Bruce
Old 03-30-2023, 04:49 AM   #3

THOR #29324
Yes, the brake/hazard lights are the same. They are the hi-intensity element of the bulb. And that works OK. The problem is there's no power going to the lo-intensity in the bulb, ie when you turn on just the parking lights, or even the headlights, the should be a dimmer response on the tail light assy, and only the left side lights up. Old school incandescent bulbs have two elements to do this. Typically, the one element burns out causing this. However, these are led bulbs, and I don't really know how they work, I'm assuming there's two connector pins, and a ground wire? Also, there's physically two of these bulbs in each side. And both on the right don't light up on lo-intensity. Hope this helps make it a little clearer? I can't just change bulbs, without breaking the seal, as I suspect Thor didn't intend for this need being as they are LEDs. They assy is screwed directly to the rear wall of the rv, over a rubber seal, so I am hesitant to try to loosen the screws and break it loose. The screws are very tight and don't want to budge. Unless someone has a better idea, I'm just going to have to do it. And see what I find..
Old 05-19-2023, 11:56 AM   #4

THOR #29324
Finally figured out the issue here. Since I couldn't find any other issues, I decided it was time to open the light assy. To my surprise, I found the bulbs weren't leds at all, but regular incandescent bulbs! How stupid of Thor to use bulbs that would burn out on a 'regular' basis in an assy that really isn't meant to come off to access them! Strange thing is the center white (backup bulb) does have an external lens with its own screws for easy opening, not having to take the entire lens off the body.

What I found was just 'weird'.. The elements inside all three bulbs were just fine. The black connectors the bulbs were in one side of the wires were not silver, but a rusty brownish color, and if touched with a fingernail, would just disintegrate. There's been no water leaking in at all. I wondered if there was some sort of power surge at the assembly factory during the building process, or if they just found some used bulbs and slapped them in.

I have since had a couple other issues that I will open new threads for...
Old 05-19-2023, 12:53 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
What made you think the bulbs were LED to begin with?

Thor buys and installs the taillights, Thor does not manufacture.
Old 05-19-2023, 02:36 PM   #6

THOR #29324
Hi, just the 'look' of the light assy. Plus the fact that it was directly screwed to the body with sqaure headed type screws led me to believe this is something you don't open on a normal basis. I didn't like the fact that taking them off so much could cause the rubber seals to break, and then have water leaks. I'm water leak paranoid. My old RV had a roof leak that I could never get stopped.

So figuring LEDs last much longer, I just assumed it was those that were in there. I forgot to mention that I did see LED-style lights that were a match for the assy on the RV now on Amazon. If the lights continue to go out often, I'll just replace them with the LEDs.
Old 05-19-2023, 03:06 PM   #7

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Since you’ve already gotten into this project, why not go all the way and replace both light assemblies with LED.

Tags
brake light issue