Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-31-2021, 08:18 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
How to defrost freezer while on road?

We have a propane electric refrigerator.
Some ice build up in back.
Any experts find a creative way to remove ice without turning off refrigerator?

Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 09:11 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Heat a brick or skillet or similar in the oven(a 5 pound bag of flour in a zip lock bag works great)
Set it on as many towels as you can.
Towels absorb the water the brick melts.
Reheat brick, wring towels,

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 09:58 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Turn it off.
Use towels as described.
Leave fridge door shut and only open the freezer door.
Use a hair dryer to melt the ice. It will fall off in chunks, throw the chunks in the sink.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 10:34 PM   #4

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Turn it off.
Use towels as described.
Use a hair dryer to melt the ice. It will fall off in chunks, throw the chunks in the sink.
Have done it this way forever! The hairdryer & a plastic spatula helps also.
Place the small battery powered fridge fan the the bottom of the fridge will help with the ice build-up & improve fridge efficiency.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 10:41 PM   #5
Site Team

THOR #7035
One more step - move your frozen items to the fridge while defrosting the freezer.
Old 01-01-2022, 12:06 AM   #6

Model: 2021 Chateau 28A
State: North Carolina
THOR #23131
Get a really stiff plastic scraper and have at it. I believe the OP is traveling and has no place to do a defrost as mentioned then wait for his propane fridge to come back to temperature. We dealt with the same problem as we are full time and seldom stationary, ice continuously built up in the small freezer making it a smidge smaller with each use. Finally tossed in the towel and replaced it with an 11 Cubic ft Everchill 12 volt and have been very pleased so far (1 month) twice the size, self defrosting, and no propane issues.
Old 01-01-2022, 12:29 AM   #7

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
What ace said works for me.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 04:01 AM   #8

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Avoid the use of an ice pick or similarly shaped item. I also use the hair dryer and plastic scraper.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 04:53 AM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Never had to defrost our Fridge and we use to keep it on all the time. But it was low usage and usually not a lot of humidity.

But nothing like the manual on how to Defrost a Norcold Fridge.

Note: it explains why defrosting may be necessary and also a few things that you should NOT do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211231_224450_Defrost.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	35416  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 02:01 PM   #10

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Never had to defrost our Fridge and we use to keep it on all the time. But it was low usage and usually not a lot of humidity.

Note: it explains why defrosting may be necessary and also a few things that you should NOT do.
The "nerve" of you, suggesting we read the book??? When I lived in AZ I also never had to defrost the fridge. Living in the east, especially south east, we have much more humidity and ice/frost buildup is significant over a period of time. The pages you attached is much common sense and correct. Of course common sense isn't so common anymore.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 01-01-2022, 02:31 PM   #11

THOR #20220
Thanks all wonderful people
Happy 2022!
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 01-01-2022, 02:50 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Turn it off.
Use towels as described.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1641048601
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	What He Said....jpg
Views:	50
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	35419  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 03:14 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:

The problem with that generalized instruction is, it assumes you are defrosting the fridge and freezer. I have never had to defrost the fridge and that's not the question the OP was asking.
Old 01-01-2022, 03:22 PM   #14

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
The "nerve" of you, suggesting we read the book??? When I lived in AZ I also never had to defrost the fridge. Living in the east, especially south east, we have much more humidity and ice/frost buildup is significant over a period of time. The pages you attached is much common sense and correct. Of course common sense isn't so common anymore.
My apologies, those damn owner's manuals may be my Achilles heel. I didn't mean to suggest, or imply that anyone actually read the instructions, I assumed they would print what I sent and place on top of the fridge in hopes to provide enough warmth to defrost fridge

Speaking of common sense, is that still legal to use? If so; if you are in an area with that much humidity, you might consider getting a dehumidifier because the humidity in the RV can cause more problems than merely frosting your fridge.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 01-01-2022, 03:43 PM   #15

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Back a few year's with the 4 door adsorption fridge i used dry ice to recover and save the food in hot weather

Coolers and the hot water in pans to speed the defrost
Old 01-01-2022, 04:12 PM   #16

THOR #22586
Quote:
My apologies, those damn owner's manuals may be my Achilles heel. I didn't mean to suggest, or imply that anyone actually read the instructions, I assumed they would print what I sent and place on top of the fridge in hopes to provide enough warmth to defrost fridge

Speaking of common sense, is that still legal to use? If so; if you are in an area with that much humidity, you might consider getting a dehumidifier because the humidity in the RV can cause more problems than merely frosting your fridge.
In the PC, and that's not personal computer, world common sense is not allowed or encouraged. My method of controlling the humidity in the RV is use it, not store it. As such running the A/C and in the case of the new one the heat pumps, gets that stuff out and running down the outside of the RV. This spring we'll go out to parts of the west, AZ and regions and while there I'll open the doors more. This fall we're planning the Canadian maritime if they will allow us "furiners" up there. Use it and lose it, the humidity that is.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 01-01-2022, 04:34 PM   #17

THOR #13058
Quote:
The problem with that generalized instruction is, it assumes you are defrosting the fridge and freezer. I have never had to defrost the fridge and that's not the question the OP was asking.
I have not had to defrost either fridge or freezer and I follow the focus to only thaw the freezer only. But given that you have to turn the fridge/freezer OFF, it would be optional, or simply not required to remove items from fridge. The manual does say as necessary.

I admit I have never had to defrost my fridge or freezer, but I read a few things being suggested that raised an eyebrow; so I just published what Norcold said, because some of the items being suggested where in direct contrast and could actually damage the unit.
Old 01-01-2022, 04:41 PM   #18

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
In the PC, and that's not personal computer, world common sense is not allowed or encouraged. My method of controlling the humidity in the RV is use it, not store it. As such running the A/C and in the case of the new one the heat pumps, gets that stuff out and running down the outside of the RV. This spring we'll go out to parts of the west, AZ and regions and while there I'll open the doors more. This fall we're planning the Canadian maritime if they will allow us "furiners" up there. Use it and lose it, the humidity that is.
Agree if OP wishes to inquire about ways to prevent or greatly diminish the frosting that is occurring. i.e. vent fans in the bathroom and kitchen helps to get humid air out especially from shower. The AC is visual proof of how much moisture is in the air. If my La Crosse clocks show it's raining and not a cloud in the sky, I know I have a problem in the RV
Old 01-06-2022, 01:41 AM   #19

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #13555
I don’t defrost by turning off fridge.
I use plastic cutting boards (bought at dollar store) to line the back, sides and bottom of the freezer. When the ice starts, I just remove the food and carefully remove the cutting boards so as not to get ice all over and dump the ice, replace the cutting boards. Works like a charm.
The cutting boards are just heavy plastic sheets.
Old 01-06-2022, 01:56 AM   #20

THOR #20220
Good suggestions all.