Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2022, 12:34 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 22FE
State: Texas
THOR #28149
Idea for touching up dings in the cabinetry finish

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I recently purchased a used 2021 Freedom Elite 22FE. It is in very good condition, however the cabinetry (Carolina cherry finish) does have a few dings and small scratches. I tried various markers in hopes of matching the color but didn't have any luck. I found a small piece of plywood that had been cutout during assembly and took it to Home Depot to see if they could match the color. Behr makes an 8 oz sample size container of satin finish paint that they were able to match for about $6 (that's about the price of one of those markers made for touching up wood finishes). I touched up a couple of dings and the results are better than I expected. Yes, you can find the touched-up areas if you really try but no one would ever notice without scrutiny.

This idea may have been suggested before but it worked well enough that I thought I might pass it along just in case. YMMV

Nick

Old 10-31-2022, 01:46 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Good to know Lowes' paint department came thru for you. I used black shoe polish to hide a few dings in my Hurricane. My coaches faux wood trim is a real dark color and the black polish worked wonders to cover up the paper fibers used during its manufacture.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 02:46 PM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
You can also purchase "Sharpie" type pens with various colors made especially for wood furniture touch up. Just throw them in the junk drawer. Quick and easy to use and no cleanup.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 12:38 PM   #4

Model: Freedom Elite 22FE
THOR #28149
Thank you both for your replies. I never thought of using shoe polish to touch up dings in a wood finish; I'll keep that in mind. I tried a couple of furniture touch up pens that I had and they made the damage a little less noticeable, but none of them really did the trick. With the exception of the cabinet doors and drawer fronts, the wood-work in my coach is plywood with a vinyl covering and the acrylic latex paint matches it perfectly (at least to my eye ).
Thanks again!