Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2022, 08:51 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Tennessee
THOR #24564
Suspension

Hey Guys,

I have a 2018 Thor Windsport 27B that rides like an old milk wagon!! We bought this RV last year and only had it out a few times. But the ride to Canada was bumpy and loud on those crappy highways. Ive had the shocks and tires checked plus an alignment. Is there anything I can have done to make it a smoother ride?

Also what do you recommend replacing my current non touch screen, non GPS radio with?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Still Newbies

Old 06-07-2022, 09:01 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winkiep View Post
Hey Guys,

I have a 2018 Thor Windsport 27B that rides like an old milk wagon!! We bought this RV last year and only had it out a few times. But the ride to Canada was bumpy and loud on those crappy highways. Ive had the shocks and tires checked plus an alignment. Is there anything I can have done to make it a smoother ride?

Also what do you recommend replacing my current non touch screen, non GPS radio with?

Thanks,

Still Newbies
Search the forum for suspension upgrades and read the thousands of posts.

The self proclaimed experts will be around shortly to tell you what you must do.
Old 06-07-2022, 09:09 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
RV with Tito is upgrading a class A suspension. He just posted today on anti sway bar.

Old 06-07-2022, 09:20 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Hey Guys,

Thanks,

Still Newbies
You can do suspension add-ons to help the wandering
You can do suspension add-ons to help the sway

But at the end of the day you are driving a dump/delivery truck and you will feel every road imperfection a whole lot more than you do in a car or passenger truck. Nothing will give you a "Limo" ride except maybe the new water suspension.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 09:21 PM   #5

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
More seat time.
Some have thrown everything they can buy at it, then sold the rv because they still weren't happy.

If driving a vehicle that size was simply beyond their capabilities, we never heard about it.
It was always
'This damn Thor!'

Drive it a while,

95%+ of rv's and vehicles this size have no suspension mods,

ANY radio of YOUR choice.
Go to a shop tell them what you want as features, have them install it.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 10:17 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
When I first bought my Hurricane I felt it was unsafe at any speed. I checked the tires and they were over inflated for the weight of the coach. It was better after setting the correct tire pressures. I did the CHF next and it was even better after that. I had the front end aligned and that imroved the steering. I added a saf t plus, no real improvement in ride, but it's self centering feature is a plus. Last thing I added was front sumo springs to mellow the harshness of insterstate expansion joints. This was all done over a period of 2 years with about 10,000 miles of driving interspersed with the upgrades. I often wonder if all the upgrades had a placebo affect and the seat time driving the coach was what mattered the most.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 01:29 AM   #7

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Like Lt above the Hurricane 27K I traded for in the fall benefited from those mods plus new shocks. This is my third motorhome and the first that seemed unsafe to drive. The mods have made it much better behaved, much safer. But yes, it's still a truck.

You should expect engine noise, especially going up hills. Some have muted their coach a bit by adding insulation like Fatmat under the doghouse and dash area. My coaches didn't need that.

I would never claim to be an expert, just sharing my personal experience. Worth what you paid for it. If you spend some time with the search feature here, you'll find all kinds of experiences.
Old 06-08-2022, 11:33 PM   #8

State: Tennessee
THOR #24564
Also we both have a Class B license and have been driving over the road in straight trucks for years. So inexperience wasn’t a factor.
Old 06-09-2022, 12:16 AM   #9

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Arizona
THOR #21314
We have a 2019 windsport 29M and installed roadmaster front sway bar which really help the swaying and on mountain curvy roads. We also installed timbrems on both axles and it helped with the bumps and potholes on the freeways. Just sit back relax and enjoy the ride! It takes some time but you will get use to the sway and noises. Take off early stop early enjoy the view as you travel in our beautiful USA.
Old 06-15-2022, 06:45 PM   #10

Model: Outlaw 38MB
THOR #18099
Tire pressure

Quote:
Hey Guys,

Thanks,

Still Newbies
From your description it seems to be all about hard ride. My first suggestion would be to weigh the front and rear axles and set the tire pressure to what the tire manufacturer recommends. I believe the majority of the tire pressure stickers on the wall are over inflated. Lowering my tire pressure was a major improvement in the ride.
Old 06-16-2022, 02:04 AM   #11

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Hey Guys,

Thanks,

Still Newbies
I have a 29m Windsport, 2018 also. I added a Road Master Anti-sway bar to the rear, so now it has two, Sumo Springs on the front and Bilstien shocks all around. It rides GREAT since that upgrade. Your coach is lighter than mine but that should improve the ride and comfort a lot! Also, use quality tires, never GoodYear, THEY SUCK!!! Michilin or B.F. Goodrich, which are the same mfg are great for a soft ride. Also, don't forget to monitor your tires and DO NOT over inflate them. Bob Trice
Old 06-18-2022, 04:54 PM   #12

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Nevada
THOR #11264
Bob, this is almost exactly what I did with the exception of the shocks; Koni was my choice. Like you, this was a huge improvement. I did add the RoadMaster anti-sway add on for the rear of our 2017 WindSport 29M. With the Ford F-53 18k chassis, I got moved around a bit. Not now and I enjoy driving it.

I agree 100% on the GY comment also. Get the same ply tires but soft riding replacements.
Old 06-18-2022, 05:22 PM   #13
Mag

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 5
State: Ontario
THOR #16132
Just glad to see you hit all those crapy roads on the way to Canada)
Hellwigs front and rear helps a lot on our Axis. That's all I've done except to drive it.