Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2023, 09:07 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger
State: California
THOR #15546
Thor Sikkens Paint Codes

So i called Thor and they sent me the paint codes for my Challenger. That was the easy bit. Take those paint codes to PPG or Sherwin Williams and neither of them recognizes the codes in their systems.

Thor cannot provide any more help.

I am not sure what to do next - i thought paint codes were universal, but apparently not. What should i do next to get these paint codes turned into actual paint?

Old 04-18-2023, 09:18 PM   #2

Model: 35SF
State: Michigan
THOR #18186
I did the same with ours and ended up taking a compartment door off the coach and took it to a PPG store that had a scanner.
They scanned and gave me matches for the paint.
some were generic, some were Toyota paint colors.
Only one was as Thor coded.
Old 04-18-2023, 09:33 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius View Post
So i called Thor and they sent me the paint codes for my Challenger. That was the easy bit. Take those paint codes to PPG or Sherwin Williams and neither of them recognizes the codes in their systems.

Thor cannot provide any more help.

I am not sure what to do next - i thought paint codes were universal, but apparently not. What should i do next to get these paint codes turned into actual paint?
Call a dealer that sells Sikkenz paint. Paint codes are not universal and have never been.

Should be a sticker inside a cabinet on the inside of the door with the paint codes. Our Challenger also had the name and number of the shop that painted the rig on that sticker.

Our Challenger was painted by Carrera Custom RV Painting in Elkhart.
Old 04-18-2023, 10:40 PM   #4

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
My unit came with 8 bottles of tough up paint with codes and names on the bottles plus a paper with Information, Sikkens paint.

codes as noted by Ace inside as well.
Old 09-12-2023, 05:25 PM   #5

Model: Fourwinds 28Z
State: Florida
THOR #30597
Cool Good Luck

One would think a simple question could be answered other than you're on your own. New 28Z and emailed Thor for the touch up paint for the cabinets. They said it's hazardous and can't send it.

One would think the answer would be..... we can't send it but here is the brand and code or the color. Nope!

Amazing how those that answer the emails don't have the ability to answer or direct a new customer other than you're on your own to figure it out.

Thor:
For the paint, we are not able to ship any paint as we do not carry a hazardous license to do so. The color of your cabinets is Coastline Grey, is what I'm seeing. I look forward to hearing back from you and I hope you have a nice day!

Me:
As for cabinets color coast line gray since you cant send any touchup paint for the cabinets do you have the brand and color code for that color so I can order or go to a paint store and have some made.

Thor:
We actually don’t have a color code for this, for customers to get the paint color they have to take one of the cabinet doors off and take it into a big box stop like Lowe’s or Home Depot and they will make the color Coastline Gray.
Thank you!

That was so helpful got to love even the simple questions get such great customer support.

One would think in this day and age with a Thor present production model and cabinet color they would know the brand or at least the color code. Really we have to take a cabinet door off and go to Home Depot or Lowes to match it to touch up the cabinets.

Old 09-12-2023, 06:16 PM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
My unit came with 8 bottles of tough up paint with codes and names on the bottles plus a paper with Information, Sikkens paint.

codes as noted by Ace inside as well.
Mine as well. I will dig up the bag with the contact name and number and post it here later today. It's the company in Elkhart that does most all coaches...especially all of Thor's. Why do they think everything is a secret?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 07:10 PM   #7

THOR #30597
Thanks Gritz Carlton
Old 09-12-2023, 07:16 PM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I could be wrong but it’s doubtful that the company that paints the coach is the same folks that paint the cabinets. It’s also doubtful that the same paint used for the coach (Sikkens) is used for the cabinets.

Again, I could be wrong.
Old 09-12-2023, 07:18 PM   #9

THOR #30597
I agree but one would think the Thor service helpline might know something about their present production selections and at least where to get an answer to a customer.

Old 09-12-2023, 08:00 PM   #10

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
I could be wrong but it’s doubtful that the company that paints the coach is the same folks that paint the cabinets. It’s also doubtful that the same paint used for the coach (Sikkens) is used for the cabinets.

Again, I could be wrong.
You are right. I didn't know this was a cabinet paint issue. Those are made locally off-site by a totally seperate company.
Old 09-12-2023, 08:16 PM   #11

THOR #11130
This is the info that came with my unit along with 6 bottles of paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230912_151730.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	43526  
Old 09-12-2023, 08:19 PM   #12

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28Z24 View Post
I agree but one would think the Thor service helpline might know something about their present production selections and at least where to get an answer to a customer.

To them, knowledge is power when it isn't shared.
Old 09-13-2023, 01:35 PM   #13

THOR #30597
Gritz Carlton can't thank you enough and especially the photo of the paint contact. Much appreciated and again one would think this question would be an easy one for a manufacturer to answer or have in the call center a look up Q&A book to direct clients.

Again thank you

24Z24
Old 09-13-2023, 03:11 PM   #14

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28Z24 View Post
Gritz Carlton can't thank you enough and especially the photo of the paint contact. Much appreciated and again one would think this question would be an easy one for a manufacturer to answer or have in the call center a look up Q&A book to direct clients.

Again thank you

24Z24

It is an easy one...they don't care...they've already spent your money and they know you'll buy another one regardless of how they treat you. BTW...that picture was sideways and all the paint ran out...get me another one while you're at it.

BTW...I was gonna buy a cargo trailer and have it painted to match the coach. Jayco said the paint colors are patented and I would need their permission and release to use the same colors. On the same call, they said it would be OK and they would authorize Mike's Painting to do the project with the same colors...of course, at my expense. Great CS. I bought a utility trailer instead. Golf cart is too tall for standard cargo heights.
Old 09-13-2023, 03:32 PM   #15

THOR #30597
Old 09-13-2023, 05:10 PM   #16
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
BTW...I was gonna buy a cargo trailer and have it painted to match the coach. Jayco said the paint colors are patented and I would need their permission and release to use the same colors. On the same call, they said it would be OK and they would authorize Mike's Painting to do the project with the same colors...of course, at my expense. Great CS. I bought a utility trailer instead. Golf cart is too tall for standard cargo heights.
Patented Pain Colors All it takes is a minor tweak to the mix that the eye wouldn't see and you're good to go. How do paint shops repaint OEM paint colors after body repair? Such a joke.

My 2016 Sonic started having paint peel on the roof (common GM paint issues across all models in 2012 - 2017 era). I found a Rustoleum 2X color (cranberry) that is so close that after painting, clear coating, and buffing you can't see the difference between the roof and the rest of the car.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote