Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-18-2018, 04:55 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Use a good penetration spray such as PB blaster and reapply about every 1/2 hour for several hours. Then use a 1/4" electric impact wrench (about 200 inlbs of torque). Replace with grade 8 acorn nuts; use copper anti-seize on the threads. I used 60 inlbs of torque to set the new nuts. That worked for me.

Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 05:14 PM   #22

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
One thing I did not mention in my original FYI post on the "certain 2013" coaches windshield wiper system recall, is that TMC said inspection and any remedial action (up to and including a complete wiper system replacement) would be done at no cost to the owner. I would expect if any other coaches have recalled wiper systems.....or those that should be recalled.....they should also be repaired or replaced at no cost to owner. It might be worth contacting TMC and the Government folks that determine if safety recalls are required (noted by an earlier poster).
Old 12-22-2018, 09:48 PM   #23

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Oklahoma
THOR #2542
Pushin' Your Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
While I am at it..... I was hoping Thor would actually recall the entry door latch issue where folks are being locked into or out of their coaches. We still have the original problem lock in our unit......but I have taken great care to open it up/lubricate and align the pins.......plus I close the door like a hornets nest is attached to the door jam. So far we have been lucky.
I too had read about the misfortunes of others and regularly lubed the original door latch with lithium grease and with more than a little smugness thinking that won't happen to me … until it did! We were fortunate in that we were locked in and were able to remove the inside door trim (right side) and push the bolt back to open the door. $180.00 to replace the latch with the newer style. I did not opt for the different brand as it was not available. But with 20 minutes, the new lock was in place, adjusted and working.

With my 20/20 hindsight, it might be worth your time to go ahead and replace the lock mechanism now rather than let the thing break at an inopportune time.

BTW, I've received the recall notice too and have a scheduled visit to the dealer in January for our 2013 A.C.E. 29.2.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:39 PM   #24

THOR #2631
Norrirn, thanks for the recommendation. I hear you. During our most recent 2018 camping season I had started leaving a window ajar when we left the coach, but secretly hoping each time that I would not have to do a batman imitation in scaling the coach wall to get inside again, should the door latch fail to open. It would be a horrific scene to behold and my wife would of course be taking home movies on her phone of me trying to get through a window for the future “joy and amusement” of anyone who cares to watch the spectacle unfold. From what I had been reading on older previous posts specifically on the latch failure, it seemed that typical replacement latches also had cast metal latch parts that can and do also fail. Can you advise on which door latch part number/source you used for your solution? Did it require major changes to the strike plate and pins?

Regarding the wiper recall, please let us know if your Dealer will tell you the specific details on the actual wiper failure mechanism; or what we mere mortals (the customers) can inspect ourselves prior to a formal Dealer visit on this recall. Our coach is currently parked for the Winter so it won’t be going anywhere until probably May 2019. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:36 AM   #25

Model: Four Winds
State: Arizona
THOR #12097
FYI... I too just received a Safety Recall from Thor, Safety Recall 18V-741 Safety Advisory RC000162, on certain 2018 and 2019 Chateau, Four Winds, and Freedom Elite motorhomes. This regards the LP gas hose not having a large enough hole in the four and not far enough away from the bottom metal plate on refrigerators to prevent any chance of the hose rubbing there and causing a leak. I'll be taking this in this week to get it taking car of.
Old 12-23-2018, 03:05 AM   #26

THOR #2542
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
Norrirn, thanks for the recommendation. I hear you. During our most recent 2018 camping season I had started leaving a window ajar when we left the coach, but secretly hoping each time that I would not have to do a batman imitation in scaling the coach wall to get inside again, should the door latch fail to open. It would be a horrific scene to behold and my wife would of course be taking home movies on her phone of me trying to get through a window for the future “joy and amusement” of anyone who cares to watch the spectacle unfold. From what I had been reading on older previous posts specifically on the latch failure, it seemed that typical replacement latches also had cast metal latch parts that can and do also fail. Can you advise on which door latch part number/source you used for your solution? Did it require major changes to the strike plate and pins?

Regarding the wiper recall, please let us know if your Dealer will tell you the specific details on the actual wiper failure mechanism; or what we mere mortals (the customers) can inspect ourselves prior to a formal Dealer visit on this recall. Our coach is currently parked for the Winter so it won’t be going anywhere until probably May 2019. Thanks.

Regarding the door latch; the failed part was the plunger that retracts when the door handle is pulled. That plunger is shaped like a long skinny upside down state of Oklahoma and simple broke at the Panhandle. As we were in Rapid City, SD, at the time, on our way to Glacier NP in Montana, we needed a fix quickly. The local RV dealer/service company only had a replacement of the same manufacture so that’s what I bought. I only had to adjust the two lugs on the lockset so they would engage the striker plate correctly using an Allen wrench.

I’ll post back on the wiper issue but it will be late January. My appointment at the dealer is on the 24th.

Incidentally, the wiper arms on my A.C.E. are the 12mm honkers and I use the 32” blades. I’ve not seen any hesitation in the motor moving those long blades. I have sourced replacement blades from PPL Motorhomes in Houston at $27/ea and have since found 32” Trico blades on eBay at a lower price. I also tuck the wiper blades into split pool noodles to keep them away from sunlight when the Coach is parked or in storage.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:09 PM   #27

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Put the Taco down and step away from the windshield wipers. You don't need no stinking wipers! I don't have to show you any stinking wipers! It's not raining today Senior!

Remember. Red bricks are not good for windshield wiper repair.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 03:46 AM   #28

Model: 34F
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerChips View Post
About the wiper problem: switching to a slightly shorter blade is probably a smart move. The whole problem is due to the tremendous force needed to rotate the huge wipers. If you stand in front of the vehicle with a hose to wet the windshield and watch the wiper post wobble as the arms swish back and forth you will note the posts tend to tilt off center rather than stay stationary in their position. All that torque required to move the blades against the windshield is overloading the mechanism and the mount to the fiberglass decking. As some have stated, the wiper mechanism can actually be forced beyond its limit and wind up 180 degrees out of position hanging down toward the ground as it swishes back and forth for the passenger side. The drivers side may go beyond the windshield and go off the side and get hung on the drivers side mirror. For a while I thought it was a freak thing on MY RV....who ever heard of such a thing? After being on the forum for a while it appears to be one of the top 25 things to happen on a Thor coach.
Yeah, mine did that too. First time had it fixed, then figured out before leaving on a trip to Clean and Rain-ex the windshield. After three days of travel I clean and Rain-ex it again. And wouldn't you know, when I had to use the wipers in a rain storm...yep they did it again. Maybe I otter get smaller wipers?
Old 01-06-2019, 06:32 PM   #29

State: California
THOR #14126
2013 Thor Ace Wiper recall

Finallly 2013 ACE included yet we did not receive notice. glad I found this forum. we have replaced module twice and cant drive in rain. too dangerous. Where are folks getting this fixed? how did they fix it? wipers started not stopping, now stop in middle of window.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:55 PM   #30

THOR #2631
You might want to check the recalls on line per attached hyperlink for the 2013 ACE (or any other RV for that matter). There was also a recall on the BCC (Battery Control system) several years ago that does not show on the NHTSA view that I can see, but I did not dig into it.....but be aware of that if you did not hear anything on that either. This wiper recall calls for inspection by a Dealer which may result in no action required or total replacement of the wiper system.....they don't say what specifically they are looking for. If you are already having wiper issues and did not receive the recall notice yet, I would contact Thor with your VIN and ask for authorization to take the coach in to your Dealer ASAP. So far our 2013 ACE wipers have been fine in many monsoons over the years.....knock on wood.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2013/THOR/ACE#recalls
Old 01-06-2019, 11:04 PM   #31

THOR #2542
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat66kuke View Post
Finallly 2013 ACE included yet we did not receive notice. glad I found this forum. we have replaced module twice and cant drive in rain. too dangerous. Where are folks getting this fixed? how did they fix it? wipers started not stopping, now stop in middle of window.

Our 2013 A.C.E. is going to the dealer on 1/24 for wiper recall. However, in October of 2017, while driving in a snowstorm in Wyoming, the wipers would stop then start and finally just stopped altogether. A loose ground connection proved to be the problem.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:04 PM   #32

THOR #2542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrirn View Post
Our 2013 A.C.E. is going to the dealer on 1/24 for wiper recall. However, in October of 2017, while driving in a snowstorm in Wyoming, the wipers would stop then start and finally just stopped altogether. A loose ground connection proved to be the problem.

I made the trip to the dealer on the 24th and found that our A.C.E. is clean. No repairs needed. Unfortunately, I didn’t think to ask the nature of the defect. Sorry I can’t offer any details although I believe it has to do with the manner in which the wiper motor is mounted.
Old 06-05-2021, 06:30 PM   #33
mes

Model: ACE
State: Florida
THOR #4240
I replaced my lock on the door by contacting the manufacturer of the lock in Iowa and purchasing from them. Great customer service! . I got a replacement and installed it. Working great.