Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2021, 08:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 33.1
State: Nevada
THOR #21278
What to expect after dropping off your RV for Warranty Repair

We dropped off our 2021 THOR ACE 33.1 at the RV dealership last Tuesday (09/14) for some warranty repair work. Some minor issues that I cannot fix myself.

Main Issues are:

1. Front Slide Out making crunching noise when extending and retracting. The lower rail have visible gouges.
2. Main door latch got "stucked 2x". We got stucked inside the RV while at a gas station during our last trip. I had to pry it open using a flat head screw driver. It seems like the "latch" that locks into that "tubular bar" that sticks out of the door frame binds (sometimes). I find this a MAJOR Safety Issue.

I also need to do the "Annual Forever Warranty Inspection".. Also doing what they recommended, AC cleaning/inspection (haven't done this before). The dealer made a Warranty Repair List, total of 7 items.

I was told that they will try to finish the Annual Forever Warranty Inspection, AC cleaning/inspection and WILL look at the warranty punch list and send the Authorization Request to THOR. I was initially told we can pick up the RV tomorrow, and bring it back to the dealer once they receive the work authorization from THOR.

I emailed THOR CS yesterday and sent them a copy of the Dealer's Punch List, as well as my own list and some pictures of the gouges on the slide frame. THOR CS responded right away and informed me that they have not received and work authorization request from the dealer yet.

Today, I called the dealer to ask if I can pick up the RV tomorrow. They apologized and said they haven't even had the chance to do ANYTHING on the RV yet. I said that is fine. I will give them a call again next week.

In your experience, what is the reasonable time to expect from the dealer to inspect, take pictures and send work request authorization to THOR? 2 weeks? 3 weeks? 4 weeks?

ador is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:52 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by ador View Post
We dropped off our 2021 THOR ACE 33.1 at the RV dealership last Tuesday (09/14) for some warranty repair work. Some minor issues that I cannot fix myself.

Main Issues are:

1. Front Slide Out making crunching noise when extending and retracting. The lower rail have visible gouges.
2. Main door latch got "stucked 2x". We got stucked inside the RV while at a gas station during our last trip. I had to pry it open using a flat head screw driver. It seems like the "latch" that locks into that "tubular bar" that sticks out of the door frame binds (sometimes). I find this a MAJOR Safety Issue.

I also need to do the "Annual Forever Warranty Inspection".. Also doing what they recommended, AC cleaning/inspection (haven't done this before). The dealer made a Warranty Repair List, total of 7 items.

I was told that they will try to finish the Annual Forever Warranty Inspection, AC cleaning/inspection and WILL look at the warranty punch list and send the Authorization Request to THOR. I was initially told we can pick up the RV tomorrow, and bring it back to the dealer once they receive the work authorization from THOR.

I emailed THOR CS yesterday and sent them a copy of the Dealer's Punch List, as well as my own list and some pictures of the gouges on the slide frame. THOR CS responded right away and informed me that they have not received and work authorization request from the dealer yet.

Today, I called the dealer to ask if I can pick up the RV tomorrow. They apologized and said they haven't even had the chance to do ANYTHING on the RV yet. I said that is fine. I will give them a call again next week.

In your experience, what is the reasonable time to expect from the dealer to inspect, take pictures and send work request authorization to THOR? 2 weeks? 3 weeks? 4 weeks?
A good dealer will send the request to Thor in 2 or 3 days. Not sure about Thor but Entegra does not require dealers to request authorization if the items do not exceed an undisclosed to me dollar threshold.
Old 09-22-2021, 09:06 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Question: Why does the RV industry have this long warranty authorization drill. The automotive industry usually does it instantly.

Answer: To obfuscate and reduce legitimate warranty work.

David
Old 09-22-2021, 09:13 PM   #4

THOR #21278
I emailed THOR CS and sent them the dated work order list from the dealer. My one year warranty expires this November. I want to make sure and document that the dealer is aware of the issues while my RV is still within warranty. The attitude from the RV industry need to change when it comes to warranty repair. Like what you said. Automotive industry usually do it instantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
Question: Why does the RV industry have this long warranty authorization drill. The automotive industry usually does it instantly.

David
Old 09-22-2021, 09:15 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Quote:

David
Great explanation of one of the problems with the RV industry. They are about as honest as a politician.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:26 PM   #6
Site Team

THOR #1469
90 percent of the time the issue is with the dealer and not the manufacturer. Dealers do not want to work at the time allotted and labor rate the manufacturer authorizes.

My current coach and previous 2 were all bought from dealers based on reputation and not purchase price. The only time I had a repair take over 2 weeks was a non-warranty repair when I decided to let a mega dealer perform the work. Big mistake since their state inspection technician was not licensed to perform inspections at their recently opened location.

My rig goes into the dealer for a final warranty visit with seven items on the punch list. The dealer believes they have all parts in stock and they will have the rig complete in roughly 2 weeks.
Old 09-22-2021, 09:35 PM   #7

THOR #21278
Red face

I really wish I can bring my RV to the factory in IN. But that is 1,600 miles away.
My main concern is the Front Slide Out issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
My rig goes into the dealer for a final warranty visit with seven items on the punch list. The dealer believes they have all parts in stock and they will have the rig complete in roughly 2 weeks.
Old 09-22-2021, 10:00 PM   #8

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Dealers do not want to work at the time allotted and labor rate the manufacturer authorizes.
So true and in today's mechanic shortage dealers want to maximize the hourly rate they "earn". But times will change and we will return to somewhat normal service in time.

The RV repair industry is a bit like the medical profession. Doctors charge X for Medicare patients, 1.5X for health insurance clients and 2-3X for uninsured patients, realizing that half of them will never pay. The latter isn't true of the RV repair industry though.

David
Old 09-23-2021, 12:05 AM   #9
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
So true and in today's mechanic shortage dealers want to maximize the hourly rate they "earn". But times will change and we will return to somewhat normal service in time.

The RV repair industry is a bit like the medical profession. Doctors charge X for Medicare patients, 1.5X for health insurance clients and 2-3X for uninsured patients, realizing that half of them will never pay. The latter isn't true of the RV repair industry though.

David
Something I noticed in the past year is dealers charging 85 to 100 dollars if you say there is a problem but the dealer cannot find or replicate the problem. Can get expensive for intermittent problems.
Old 09-23-2021, 11:57 AM   #10

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
After going through these same types of gyrations I started taking my coaches to the Thor Factory Service Center in Wakarusa when I needed warranty work done. I have been there three times and all better experiences than any dealer.

Now that I'm out of warranty, I will never use a dealer if there is an issue I can't fix myself.

I will use independent shops. In two weeks when I end my current 7-week trip I am diverting to Tucson to have the crappy Scwintek Slide System replaced with the Vroom Slide System.
Old 09-23-2021, 12:04 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Expect to wait a long time...
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1632398668
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	patience_grasshopper.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	33833  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 12:05 PM   #12

Model: Wind sport 29M
THOR #24352
What do you do with a dealer that has your MH for 3 weeks for warrantee work, and you find your windshield cracked? Now they want my insurance info. "NOT" Did not drop it off cracked. And did not leave the property when I saw it. Let the P...... contest begin.
Old 09-23-2021, 12:16 PM   #13

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
If the windshield crack happened on the dealership property while they had complete control control over it, that should be their problem to fix and not your insurance company.

Paul
Old 09-23-2021, 01:26 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
They probably have a sign that says they're not responsible for anyone else's crap left on the property posted in one of the lavatories...
Then they'll point that one out to you; when you complain about the crack...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 01:48 PM   #15

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Maybe just me but I won't leave my RV at a dealer parked in the back until they get "round 2 it". I tell them I'm bringing it in for inspection so they can determine what parts are needed, I'll take it home, and when the parts come in, return to get them installed. So far I haven't had any game stopping failures that I can't take it back home. In today's environment with oodles of RVs needing repairs of some sort, I can't imagine any dealer wanting a back lot of RVs waiting on parts. Anyone can post any sign they want, but when they take possession they have a responsibility to exercise due caution and protect that property. Just like the dump truck that has a sign denying any responsibility for broken windshields from rocks falling off their truck. If they improperly loaded the truck and caused damages, they ARE responsible. That little sign is just to scare someone from complaining.

Generally speaking when a dealer is taking in an RV for work, they will note any scratch, damage, etc on a sheet and you will sign that. It they broke the windshield, they and their insurance, are responsible.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 02:09 PM   #16
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty1020 View Post
What do you do with a dealer that has your MH for 3 weeks for warrantee work, and you find your windshield cracked? Now they want my insurance info. "NOT" Did not drop it off cracked. And did not leave the property when I saw it. Let the P...... contest begin.
You know windshields can crack due to improper installation and heat/cold cycles? I believe the early Axis/Vegas had that problem. Unless you can see it has cracked due to an impact you are likely standing on an indefensible hill and causing your blood pressure to rise for no reason. Your Florida comprehensive insurance will replace the windshield with $0 deductible and no effect on your insurance rate.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 02:24 PM   #17

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by ador View Post

Main Issues are:

Unfortunately that is the way at least my local dealership works. I have found the dealership is the weak link. The dealership will get busy and backlogged so with maybe one "warranty" person stuff piles up.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 02:54 PM   #18
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Maybe just me but I won't leave my RV at a dealer parked in the back until they get "round 2 it". I tell them I'm bringing it in for inspection so they can determine what parts are needed, I'll take it home, and when the parts come in, return to get them installed. So far I haven't had any game stopping failures that I can't take it back home. In today's environment with oodles of RVs needing repairs of some sort, I can't imagine any dealer wanting a back lot of RVs waiting on parts. Anyone can post any sign they want, but when they take possession they have a responsibility to exercise due caution and protect that property. Just like the dump truck that has a sign denying any responsibility for broken windshields from rocks falling off their truck. If they improperly loaded the truck and caused damages, they ARE responsible. That little sign is just to scare someone from complaining.

Generally speaking when a dealer is taking in an RV for work, they will note any scratch, damage, etc on a sheet and you will sign that. It they broke the windshield, they and their insurance, are responsible.
Normally I would agree. Since we moved my dealer is no longer 31 miles from the house but rather 250 miles. Since we have no trips planned until Dec I am dropping the rig off on Sept 30 and they will have it until complete which they estimate to be two or three weeks.

My dealer takes complete pictures at acceptance and again at customer pick up.
Old 09-23-2021, 02:54 PM   #19

THOR #21278
That is the reason why I did a walk-around video of my RV on the day I dropped it off to document that there are no outside damage to my RV when I dropped it off. The intake person at the warranty department also made a written note on the papers that "There are no visible damage". I just hope nothing bad happen to the RV while it is there, sitting and waiting. We take good care of our RV. But other people don't/won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty1020 View Post
Old 09-23-2021, 03:12 PM   #20

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Somewhat on this same topic. Does anyone know if Thor factory service accepts extended warranty plans for repairs? I suppose I could call and ask but I thought some of the forum members may know. We are fortunate to live within 100 miles of Wakarusa. We could drop off the MH and return home and not have to wait in town.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote