Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2018, 01:59 AM   #8
TurnerFam

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I'm at a big loss to your questions, or comments... maybe it's just me, but Solar output to your batteries is very simple, maybe it seems more complicated, but it's not really.

Solar amperage output from your panels is wired directly to the battery bank they are designed to charge. Not to your Charger. Not to your Converter. Not to your Inverter. Those are all for 120v power, not Solar.

Your solar output does not need to go to your Converter or interact with the Inverter, only the Generator or Shore Power do that. Your solar is like your Alternator while you are driving, it provides power directly to your battery bank and does not interact with the other devices.

You can have several panels, fed into a single controller, and wired to your batteries, or you could even have several panels, each with their own controllers, but all wired directly to your batteries.... either way, it's the same outcome - Charging of your battery bank by solar amperage, nothing else.

I don't mean to come across to too directly, but I guess I'm a little confused at your thoughts of what solar does for batteries in our RVs, and how they are wired. I'm with you, though, as I was a new Solar owner just this past June when I added solar for our Alaska trip - it was an easy install. The panels are on the roof, the two wires drop down the back of the coach on the ladder, thru the rear engine cover, and feed into the rear battery bay, and connect to the controller. The controller then is connected via two wires to the battery bank. The controller shows me the incoming amps, and will itself limit the incoming amperage if the batteries are full, or close to full.
While the coach's Charger monitors the battery bank and provides charging when on generator or shore power, it does not know or care if Solar amps are also helping to charge the batteries. The alternator works that way too, charging the batteries outside of the care of the Charger.

fun, ain't it! : )

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum