Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2018, 02:50 PM   #1
tinman01

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37 GT
State: North Carolina
THOR #7843
mounting Solar panels on a TPO roof

Hi, has anyone installed solar panels on a 2015 Thor Challenger 37GT?

Here is my dilemma, I’m trying to find the roof trusses and have not been able to. According to the schematics from Thor, the trusses are 1 1/2” X 2” 14 GA tube and 1 1/2 X 1 1/2 18 GA Angle. It says “All dimensions to Leading edge except last part.” The trouble is if you look at the schematics, they show 3 different sections, top, middle and bottom. but the middle section in the drawing, is on the bottom in the MH. It has the air ducts lights and so forth that IS the bottom layer. I can’t tell from them where the trusses are. The description part gives the patterns of what is what however the drawing itself you really can’t make out what is what. Plus I don’t think this if for my exact rig, some of the things don’t line up the antenna and Satellite are in the wrong location.

I have use a stud finder with no luck, too many false readings and where it shows a truss does not measure out to 16” centers. I have tapped and tried that way but not very reliable.

As best I can tell the roof is made up with a 1/4” sheet of leon, (looks like plywood but they call it something else not sure I spelled it right). One top and one bottom. In between is styrofoam, trusses and elect.. Also when I pulled a light down the wire for the light goes into an alum tube, but I don’t think its the truss (looks like 1” X 1”) Do they run elect. into the trusses? If so when I screw down the mount am I running a risk of hitting the wire?

I made my own brackets for the panels so I can tilt them if needed. The brackets that will mount to the roof are 3” X 1 1/2” X 5” long Channel Alum, and will mount between the panels with 2 screw mounts in each one. Between the brackets measures exactly 48" center hole to center hole, to match up to the 16" center trusses, at least that was the plan. (If I start out on a truss the rest should be on a truss) Here is a pic, I have a roll of eternabond tape and dicor sealant to put down under, around and on top of anything that screws or fastens to the roof. (by the way these tilt brackets I made allow me to tilt in 5 degree increments between 50 and 75 degrees and will tilt in either direction.)

Question, if I went from a known truss such as at the A/C, and measured back every 16” how reliable would that be?

If I missed a truss and used expanding anchors would that 1/4” be enough to hold the panels with all the wind at Hwy speeds and wind gusts?

How can I tell for sure that I’m in a truss?

How should I test the hold of the panels, short of 95 mph down the hwy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof Structure MH.jpg
Views:	723
Size:	273.0 KB
ID:	8976   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof Structure.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	8977  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar Panel Tilt 1.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	8978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar panel tilt 2.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	8979  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum