Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2018, 09:38 PM   #15
Pete'sMH

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluiceman2 View Post
How much weight can the bumper carry? I want to add a receiver to the bumper to hold my etrailer spare tire mount/tire.

I contacted Thor about the options for my Freedom Elite 26 HE. I knew that a mount on the rear wall is an option for the Four Winds and other versions of my machine. I thought that even though Freedom Elite models do not include a spare possibly the support structure inside the wall might be there. Alas, Thor said it is not. The structure is part of the optional spare tire package (which CW in their quest for a low price did not include). So then I asked about a bumper mount and I was told that it absolutely COULD NOT support the weight of a spare tire. After considering my options I chose a Roadmaster 5225 (I think it is) hitch mount that still enables the use of the hitch for other purposes. In my case it also carries a pair of bicycles. The mount is very pricey at $500 but it is massively engineered and will serve for several RVs to come. It’s very easy to use and levers down and up so that you don’t have to lift the tire and to give access to any rear storage compartments. Or a slide if you remember to lower the spare first! I consider a spare tire to be a essential piece of equipment though I don’t carry the tools to change it. I’m confident though that roadside assistance will work quickly and easily if I have a good spare. Good luck.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum