View Single Post
Old 05-30-2015, 09:49 PM   #48
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
The Vegas/Axis units ride on the E-350 stripped chassis. If by "revised chassis" you are referring to the new Ford Transit vans: No, Ford makes the E-350 stripped chassis in a separate plant and doesn't plan on stopping that for a while--a while ago I found some documentation on fleet.ford.com that described those plans.

Ford does offer Transit stripped chassis models but I think it would take significant re engineering to make the Vegas/Axis on that chassis.
I do mean the "E-Series" stripped chassis on which the Axis and Vegas are built on. Starting with 2016 model year the revised chassis will include some upgrades including a switch to the 6R140 6-speed automatic used on heavier duty trucks. Gear spacing is improved compared to previous 5-speed. There are other revisions but the transmission is the one I care most about.

I'm familiar with Transit cutaway and cab chassis but have not seen anything at all about a stripped chassis. Not that the Transit chassis has the size or Gross Vehicle Weight Rating to handle a Class A motorhome. As is, I feel the 12,500 pound E-350 is marginal -- another reason why I'd eliminate the slide if possible.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.